• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus God?

Dionysus

┏(°.°)┛┗(°.°)┓┗(°.°)┛┏(°.°)┓
I love to answer questions about the Bible as well! Especially when allusions to gnostic texts, Homer or The Epic of Gilgamesh apply! :D

NewChapter

GiveMeATicketToWork
I'm interested in hearing thoughts about (1) Where this idea comes from and (2) If you agree with it and why/why not. I have heard it described like this: Because of the Trinity, Jesus is God, and all the things done in the Old Testament were therefore done by Jesus prior to his human incarnation. Thoughts?

I go by these two Bible Scriptures to conclude that no, Jesus is not God:

John 14:28
English Standard Version (ESV)
(28)You heard me say to you, ‘I am going away, and I will come to you.’ If you loved me, you would have rejoiced, because I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

1 Corinthians 8:6
English Standard Version (ESV)
(6) yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist,...

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
When you read the whole chapter it is talking about God. We know that God was not formed or created. I think your using the word "yatzar" in the wrong context. To even think , that our Creator was created is awful and it totally degrades our Creator!! "There is no other God formed" That is your "yatzar" word for God. It is not talking about our God, Yahweh, it is talking about other false Gods, other man-made Gods that were formed and created by man. The LORD is saying that He is the only God. Ever!! Look at Isa 45 "I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me"

This has nothing to do with angels, it is God and Israel. Jesus was NOT an angel. Why would you ever compare him to an angel. Scripture tells us that he did NOT take on the nature of angels, but the seed of Abraham. He is also from the seed of David. Not from angels!! "Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;"

This is saying that Jesus was just like us. God was his father, but also David. He was the son of God and the son of man. Just like the scriptures tell us.

in the NT men can be angels

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G32&t=KJV

as noted in the strong's definition

by implication, a pastor

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
The Spirit of God in Jesus pre-existed?..... I'm trying to figure out what that really means..... You dont believe in the pre-existence of Jesus (which is a good thing), but God's Spirit pre-existed in Jesus.... who wasnt here yet... Maybe I read that wrong then. The Spirit of God or God's Spirit was always here though.

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/16473#v=7

energy cannot be created, or destroyed, it is simply saved in some form, or regenerated, transmuted.

http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/15971#v=5

everything will be made as ONE

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=luke+3:5-6&version=AKJV

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
No. God is yet unknown.
this is agnostic. a gnostic would make no such statement.

I am in the Father and the Father is in me.

20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; 21 that they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me. 22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one: 23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me. 26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

Notaclue

Uh, no.

Besides, what is God?

Shalom...

Gen.1:1. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. 2 The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.
3 Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light. 4 And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light Day, and the darkness He called Night. So the evening and the morning were the first day.

What did God create in the first day ?

Peace.

Dionysus

Alright. May I ask a question?

How many books does the bible have?

This table does a pretty good job of answering that question. Is it supposed to be a trick one?

Of course, the bible got all of its stories and teachings from other mythologies. Many other books contributed to the books that ended up in the various canons.

moorea944

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G32&t=KJV

as noted in the strong's definition

by implication, a pastor

Angel in Hebrew is Malak and in Greek it is Aggelos. Malak is a messenger or messengers. They are messengers of God. It can refer to a man or an angel. In most cases the translators got it right with angels. Sometimes they didnt and put angel when it should have been a man or men.

Just like "God" (not GOD) or Elohim. God manifestation in a multitude. "Might ones". In most cases it is referring to angels. But the Judges in the OT were also called Gods or Elohim, just like the priests too.

So man can be Malak or messenger, but not an actual angel.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Angel in Hebrew is Malak and in Greek it is Aggelos. Malak is a messenger or messengers. They are messengers of God. It can refer to a man or an angel. In most cases the translators got it right with angels. Sometimes they didnt and put angel when it should have been a man or men.

Just like "God" (not GOD) or Elohim. God manifestation in a multitude. "Might ones". In most cases it is referring to angels. But the Judges in the OT were also called Gods or Elohim, just like the priests too.

judges were also called gods in the nt too

john 10:24

gods

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G2316&t=KJV

daimonion

some angels are simply spirits without third density bodies.
other angels are spirits with third density bodies.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/761-adam-kadmon

when angels fall they become men.

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11442-nephilim

these same stars are referred to by daniel and in revelation as the morning star

The Nephilim were on the earth at that time (and also immediately afterward), when those divine beings were having sexual relations with those human women, who gave birth to children for them. These children became the heroes and legendary figures of ancient times.

each is a spirit of varying densities

the spirit is everything. IT formed everything and the form counts for nothing.

firedragon

Veteran Member
This table does a pretty good job of answering that question. Is it supposed to be a trick one?

Of course, the bible got all of its stories and teachings from other mythologies. Many other books contributed to the books that ended up in the various canons.

It was kind of a trick question.

But my latter question would have been why did the oldest bibles have two more books in the New Testament, those are not even cited in the link you gave. Epistle of Barnabas and Shepard of Hermes. And why are they not in the modern bible canons? Even the Douay version doesn't have them though they have the books called apocrypha.

Now some believe that the bible canon was decided at the council of Nicea, though I definitely dont think so. If at all, because the 4 gospels were mentioned before that by name, while the current canonical bibles dont have any authorship, maybe they gathered the 4 gospels most suited and named them so at the council of Nicea.

Still, the bible had all 75 books even after this. Then at what point were those two books taken out? And why?

If you have a theory I would like to take a listen at your expense of time. ;)

Best.

firedragon

Veteran Member

Angelos. And you are absolutely right.

El means power or might as you put it, I like power because the plural is easier and sounds fine :). Elohim means Powers, thats pluralis majestatis. God does not always mean The God in either Hebrew or Koine Greek. Even Moses was sent as a God to the Pharaoh. In the Quills, pots and pans are Gods. There are small Gods and Big Gods. Small Gods can be a prophet who represents God. When God sent Moses as a God to Pharaoh, Aaron was Moses's prophet. This is a phenomena in not only Semitic languages but also in Asian languages.

Dionysus

I can imagine that many ancient bibles contained many books which were later tossed aside as gnostic texts were weeded out and gnostic sects were persecuted out of existence. Jude still contains a likely reference to The Book of Enoch, which cannot be found in any bible that I'm aware of. My opinion is that followers of Paul threw out what didn't align with their teachings and what they thought Paul had written.

moorea944

judges were also called gods in the nt too

john 10:24

gods

https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/Lexicon/Lexicon.cfm?strongs=G2316&t=KJV

daimonion

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/761-adam-kadmon

http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/11442-nephilim

these same stars are referred to by daniel and in revelation as the morning star

The Nephilim were on the earth at that time (and also immediately afterward), when those divine beings were having sexual relations with those human women, who gave birth to children for them. These children became the heroes and legendary figures of ancient times.

each is a spirit of varying densities

the spirit is everything. IT formed everything and the form counts for nothing.

I have absolutely no clue what your talking about.....

lol. No they dont.... First of all, angels do not sin. Are you saying that God is not in controll of His angels? Paul says that ALL angels worship God. Psalmist tells us that angels excel in God's strenght and do His commandments. All angels praise God. There are NO rebel angels!!
Christ tells us that someday we will be immortal like the angels. Angels are immortal, they cannot die nor sin.

The Nephilim were on the earth at that time (and also immediately afterward), when those divine beings were having sexual relations with those human women, who gave birth to children for them.

Divine beings (angels) having sex with mortal women? Are you serious? I did see that in a movie though......

These children became the heroes and legendary figures of ancient times.

Like who?....... Hercules or Zeus?

firedragon

Veteran Member
I can imagine that many ancient bibles contained many books which were later tossed aside as gnostic texts were weeded out and gnostic sects were persecuted out of existence. Jude still contains a likely reference to The Book of Enoch, which cannot be found in any bible that I'm aware of. My opinion is that followers of Paul threw out what didn't align with their teachings and what they thought Paul had written.
I think you are right. The issue is, bibles in the 5th century or even late 4th century still contain the two extra books in the NT. Or do you think that Pauls school of thought tat existed in the 5th century or 6th century would have taken them out? Hmm. That's actually an interesting theory. One thing is, gnostic books were thrown out way before. Epistle of bananas and hermes couldn't have been named gnostic. They would not have entered the canon at all if it were. Oh also, the Ethiopian canon has Enoch. Thanks mate. Appreciate it a lot. If you have any theories I would love to hear it on any topic on the bible. That's a humble request. Peace

firedragon

Veteran Member
I have absolutely no clue what your talking about.....

lol. No they dont.... First of all, angels do not sin. Are you saying that God is not in controll of His angels? Paul says that ALL angels worship God. Psalmist tells us that angels excel in God's strenght and do His commandments. All angels praise God. There are NO rebel angels!!
Christ tells us that someday we will be immortal like the angels. Angels are immortal, they cannot die nor sin.

Divine beings (angels) having sex with mortal women? Are you serious? I did see that in a movie though......

Like who?....... Hercules or Zeus?
when children of God mated with Children of men could be simply godly men or those who followed in the footsteps of God mating with women who were not. It is explicit in the bible that humans who followed God were children of God. in fact they are said to carry be the seed of God. if not, ephraim will be the eldest son of God and all those sons of God would be his younger brothers. And moses would be god too so these must his sons. Or maybe even the judges. Maybe we should understand the personality of the language a bit too. Son of God is mentioned in the bible I think a little less than a 100 times. Oops that's only in the OT.