• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus and Immanual the Same being

herushura

Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.

Matthew 1:21
She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus.

If Jesus and Immanuel are the Same, why wasnt Jesus named Immanuel, cleary Isaiah revaltions did not prohizise the coming of Jesus but a women bearing a Son called Immanuel.

The phrase "a virgin" which we find in our English Bibles does not appear in the original Hebrew text. The word used is 'almah {al-maw'} meaning "a young woman of marriageable age". Clearly "Virgin" was inserted on the sole purpose of Jesus.

Jesus is supossed to means God Saves, Yeshu, cleary Yeshu does not means God saves, it solely means "Saves" by itself. for it to mean god saves it would be written as Yeshu-EL or yeshuel meaning god saves, ieshuel, and for people who state it from yhwh, well if Yhwh means "to be" then yehoshua means "to be saved" but since yehoshua only has half of yhwh then it could mean "be saved".

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
The name Immanuel is mentioned a few verses later in Matthew 1:

20But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,[c] because he will save his people from their sins." 22All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel"[d]—which means, "God with us."
So... they named him Jesus (which means "God saves", apparently) in order to fulfil the prophesy that he would be name Immanuel ("God with us").
It's as clear as mud to me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
This should answer your question.

Why wasn't Jesus named Immanuel?
Not completely.

I can understand this rationale in one regard: if "Immanuel" is taken to be a title and not His name, then that answers why Jesus wasn't named Immanuel.

However, this does nothing to explain what the angel of the Lord says in Matthew 1, which (IMO) is basically "because the prophecy says He's going to be called Immanuel, you should name Him Jesus." It seems like it's a non-sequitir.

Jeremy Mason

Not completely.

I can understand this rationale in one regard: if "Immanuel" is taken to be a title and not His name, then that answers why Jesus wasn't named Immanuel.

However, this does nothing to explain what the angel of the Lord says in Matthew 1, which (IMO) is basically "because the prophecy says He's going to be called Immanuel, you should name Him Jesus." It seems like it's a non-sequitir.

I understand the information in the link regarding different descriptions of Jesus. He was referred by a host of different titles due to the different functions Jesus possessed. The fact that the NT clearly establishes the unity of God and Jesus fulfills any implications of the name Immanuel.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I understand the information in the link regarding different descriptions of Jesus. He was referred by a host of different titles due to the different functions Jesus possessed. The fact that the NT clearly establishes the unity of God and Jesus fulfills any implications of the name Immanuel.
I don't think it does. Matthew 1:21-23 reads like "he will be called 'Champion', so therefore let's name him 'Steve'." The fact that 'Champion' can be considered a title and not just a name doesn't mean that it's not an odd thing to say.

Elessar

The phrase "a virgin" which we find in our English Bibles does not appear in the original Hebrew text. The word used is 'almah {al-maw'} meaning "a young woman of marriageable age". Clearly "Virgin" was inserted on the sole purpose of Jesus.

"Virgin" or "parthenos" was the word used by the rabbis in translation of the Tanakh into Greek for the Septuagint over two centuries before the Common Era.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I don't think it does. Matthew 1:21-23 reads like "he will be called 'Champion', so therefore let's name him 'Steve'." The fact that 'Champion' can be considered a title and not just a name doesn't mean that it's not an odd thing to say.

It would help if you read the text.

v21 ..... thou shalt call his name JESUS; for it is he that shall save his people from their sins.
v23 ..... And they shall call his name Immanuel; which is, being interpreted, God with us

In verse 21 Mary is commanded by the angeel to name Him Jesus while in v23 a reference is made to the prophecy saying that other people would call Him Immanuel.

herushura

v21 ..... thou shalt call his name JESUS; for it is he that shall save his people from their sins.
v23 ..... And they shall call his name Immanuel; which is, being interpreted, God with us

In verse 21 Mary is commanded by the angeel to name Him Jesus while in v23 a reference is made to the prophecy saying that other people would call Him Immanuel.

Immanuel = God With us

(Isaiah 7:14) They shall call the name of God who is with us.

If you render the meaning of immanuel into the sentance.

herushura

"and shall call his name Immanuel"
Immanuel means god is with us.

So the scripture really means is "The Shall Call God who is with us"

What the scripture here could mean that God is with us even from Birth, and does not prophisize
are future man called Immanuel

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I did read the text, but I'd be interested to hear your interpretation of exactly who called Jesus "Immanuel" and how this was caused by naming Him "Jesus".

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
"and shall call his name Immanuel"
Immanuel means god is with us.

So the scripture really means is "The Shall Call God who is with us"

What the scripture here could mean that God is with us even from Birth, and does not prophisize
are future man called Immanuel
Really stupid! :yes:

Simple substitution results in ...

not
[she] shall call god who is with us​
but
[she] shall call his name "God is with us"
Try harder ... :rolleyes:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
This is another reason I think the Bible was written, or at least, orally transmitted, in Aramaic to begin with. This is my opinion, though, I'm no scholar, but I am interested in linguistics.

The word name in Hebrew (shem), and Aramaic (shma), means literally 'fame'. I think it works the same for ancient Greek (onoma). The word 'name' also means, reputation. Therefore, "They shall call his name Immanuel" may mean: "They will refer to him"/"They will say about him", "God [is] with us!"

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Just wanted to solve this first you have to pray for understanding while reading the word then use his revelation. Immanuell means God is with us. First you have to understand as Jesus walked the earth the as flesh he had to have a name which is Jesus Christ. And remember he is to return to take those who walk in the way of the lord and repent honestly is what Jesus died for but at this point there is his father in heaven. Only when he comes to get his children he then sits on the throne of heaven and becomes the one true living God the Messiah. And we will call him Immaneul.

Just wanted to solve this first you have to pray for understanding while reading the word then use his revelation. Immanuell means God is with us. First you have to understand as Jesus walked the earth the as flesh he had to have a name which is Jesus Christ. And remember he is to return to take those who walk in the way of the lord and repent honestly is what Jesus died for but at this point there is his father in heaven. Only when he comes to get his children he then sits on the throne of heaven and becomes the one true living God the Messiah. And we will call him Immaneul.
When he comes and we go to heaven everyone will call him by Immanuel. Because they have seen to believe no one will deny God is with us.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Accurate prophesy is not static; it's an interchangeable piece within an equation.

What is on the other end of the =?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
This is another reason I think the Bible was written, or at least, orally transmitted, in Aramaic to begin with.
I seriously doubt it. Furthermore, I don't understand "written, or at least, orally transmitted," since oral transmission almost certainly preceded scribal codification.

The word name in Hebrew (shem), and Aramaic (shma), means literally 'fame'. I think it works the same for ancient Greek (onoma). The word 'name' also means, reputation. Therefore, "They shall call his name Immanuel" may mean: "They will refer to him"/"They will say about him", "God [is] with us!"
Interesting. Thanks.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Just wanted to solve this first you have to pray for understanding while reading the word then use his revelation.
Even better if you scatter goat entrails upon the ground and then dance around in a circle seven times while holding a snake in one hand and a copy of Proselytizing For Dummies in another.