• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus a Mythical Character?

dogsgod

Shouldn't that be a (vice versa)? Oberon has suggested that Paul should definitely be considered a desciple and one of the reasons is because Jesus (in a supposed vision) spoke to Paul. Wouldn't this fall into the same category?

No where in the epistles is the term disciple used. Disciples is gospel fiction wherein the author of Mark recasts apostles into disciples appointed by Jesus that would have recently been on earth, again, according to the gospel fictions.

The epistles are about self appointed apostles, or by God as Paul states, that preach what they receive by way of revelations of a risen Christ Jesus. Their Christ is a son of God that resides in the heavens and is a mediator between God and those that can receive his message. Apostles are those that receive and spread the word, the use of the term in the gospels is consistent, Jesus made apostles of his disciples when he sent them out to spread the word. If their (epistle writers), Jesus Christ had been on earth they give no indication of when he would have lived. G.A.Wells considers a savour that died in 100BCE. Earliest Christianity It's the gospel writers writing towards the end of the century that place their story just before Paul, and believers can't help but read the gospels into readings of Paul, instead of the other way around. Mark was probably writing of a failed Pauline tradition in allegorical, fictional terms. So what we have is an early Christian tradition that we read of in the epistles, and a later tradition that caught on after the gospels were written, one that views the gospels as accounts of actual events, rather than allegorical fiction.

Last edited:

Waymarker

...Or did he actually walk the earth and do the things he claimed he did ?

How many eyewitnesses would you like?
He didn't skulk in some underground hideout, he travelled all over Israel for 3 long years in front of the people and the occupying Roman Army, that's a lot of eyewitnesses - "I've spoken openly to the world..I said nothing in secret" (John 18:20)
And "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25) "
And he pulled crowds of over 4000 and 5000 at two gigs alone (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13), audience figures even Elvis would have been proud of, right Elv?

"Uh-huh.."
elvis1.jpg

Imagist

Worshipper of Athe.
He didn't skulk in some underground hideout, he travelled all over Israel for 3 long years in front of the people and the occupying Roman Army, that's a lot of eyewitnesses - "I've spoken openly to the world..I said nothing in secret" (John 18:20)
And "Large crowds from Galilee, the Ten Cities, Jerusalem, Judea and the region across the Jordan followed him" (Matt 4:25) "
And he pulled crowds of over 4000 and 5000 at two gigs alone (Matt 15:32, Matt 14:13), audience figures even Elvis would have been proud of, right Elv?

How many eyewitnesses do we have? None. Any possible eyewitnesses are long dead.

The bible verses you quoted are called hearsay, not eyewitness reports.

dogsgod

No, simply that there were apostles before Paul.
He doesn't need to state it. It is very clear. The whole point of Galatians is the question on circumcision. Paul is putting forward his view over and against that of Peter and the other "pillars." So he begins his letter (after the salutation) that before he received the Jesus tradition from Peter, he received it from Christ himself. This is what legitimizes him as an apostle at all. Otherwise, why should those he writes to accept him over Peter?

Paul was a persecutor of Christians, he has to convince them that he is now a legitimate supporter. The notion that Peter knew Jesus and was a disciple never, ever comes up, and for good reason. Peter is a self appointed apostle and so is Paul and so is anyone else claiming to be an apostle. Disciples of an earthly Jesus is a later Christian development that you are reading into the epistles.

You believe Paul very selectively then, because Paul also states that Jesus died, that he passed on teachings, that he had a last supper, all things that you write off.
All in a mythical setting. But he doesn't describe his Jesus Christ as a teacher, nor a miracle worker, as do the gospel writers. And if there was a parallel sacrifice of a savour on earth, we don't know when it took place. The epistle writers are now only concerned with a spiritual Christ.

Anyway, the point is the same. Paul persecuted the earliest followers of Jesus, and therefore cannot claim to have been an original follower. Peter et al can.
Peter and James were apostles before Paul, and Paul admits that, but don't tell Paul he is not now an equal, he's a bit of a pit bull in regards to his authority.

That's my point. He defends his authority because he received his mission from Jesus first, before he was initiated by Peter, therefore he should be thought of as an apostle.
Where do you get the notion that he was initiated by Peter? Paul states that he went to Jerusalem where he got "acquainted" with Peter. It sounds like they shared a few brewsky. His point was that he was now member of the faithful and that Peter et al were no longer out to kill him for trying to destroy the church.
First of all, what he calls the "lord's supper" is the practice that the early christians carried on. Second, so what if the word is used differently in other contexts? Paradidomi in that context means betrayed or even "given over" (to authorities). The point is that Paul has Jesus sitting their eating with his disciples, just as we find in the gospels.
What we have is the gospel writers, which were writing later, borowing from Paul. They transform Paul's Supper into a Last Supper.

None of the gospels show an awareness of Paul's writings.
The author of Mark is writing an allegorical fiction of a Pauline tradition, which well explains why he portrays the disciples as dimwits, they just don't get it and Jesus has to keep explaining it to them.

In any case, I am not "reading back" into Paul. Rather the fact that Paul clearly discusses the twelve and Peter as the head of the twelve and the gospels do as well should make anyone who isn't a complete idiot think that they are talking about the same people.
The Peter that Paul writes of is a real person, the Peter that Mark recasts as a disciple is now a fictionalized version of Peter.

So why is James the only one ever referred to (even in Josephus) as Jesus' brother?
He's never referred to as Jesus' brother in the epistles. The Josephus reference is a later Christian tampering.

He doesn't have to. He is writing to christian communities who would have already known this. In addition, most people know their brothers, especially in cultures where family is everything.
According to the gospel account of Jesus, Jesus' family accounted for a big fat zero.

True enough. But we do have the gospels, early bioi of Jesus, which explain this. Thank goodness.
Thank goodness, If you say so.

No. It simply means that it was Peter first, then the whole group of the twelve.
There is the idea that the Twelve is a later Christian interpolation which makes sense considering the epistle writers, including Paul, make no other mention of the term.

The gospels weren't written, but the earliest parts of them were already around orally (if not in writing, as Q is dated to around this time)
Q appears to be of a Gallilean tradition that Paul never refers to, and Q does not hint of a crucifixion. The gospels combine these differeing traditions.

Actually, most translations do it my way. See Metzger or Fitzmeyer on this.
No doubt.

No one else is ever, ever referred to as the "brother of Jesus" the way James is. All the other uses of brethren and brother don't matter. Only James is "the brother of the Lord" because they were actually related.
Not so. Brother of the Lord, or Lords' brother is not to mean a literal brother of Jesus on a number of levels. The epistles rarely ever refer to a Jesus, 9.9 times out of ten they write of a Jesus Christ which is a title, or Christ Jesus, or Lord Jesus Christ. The gospels are writing of a Pauline tradition and don't even assign a role to Jesus' brother.

And what, from you analysis of the the gospel texts, leads you to believe that the gospels were aware of Paul's writing? The fact that Paul says things that happen in the gospels? But you already said they stole it all from the OT. Be consistent.
They took from Paul and they took from ancient Hebrew scriptures as did Paul.

The truth is that Paul was aware of the traditions concerning Jesus which he received directly from Peter. The gospels used similar traditions.
You can't assess that from a reading of the epistles.

James was not one of the twelve, and apparently received more authority after his death. If the gospels (as you suggested) were dependent on Paul, wouldn't they have made him more prominent?
Exactly my point. James is a very prominent disciple in the gospels, as are Peter and John. Jesus' brother plays no role in the gospels nor in Acts. Luke/Acts doesn't even name any of Jesus' brothers or sisters. The notion that Jesus' brother became a leader is a much later Christian development. James probably fell out of favour due to his strict adherence to Jewish tradition such as circumcision which was a biggy when trying to appeal to the gentiles. The church preferred to blot him out and have Jesus' brother take his place so that conversion could be a much easier endevour.

They don't, though, because they are aware (and show a desire to record history) that James did not become prominent until after Jesus died. And James is mentioned in Acts (15:13).
They show a desire to record a revisionist history. James, son of Zebedee is mentioned in Acts, but Acts never names Jesus' brother.
-------------------------------------
We can see the parallels here:

Galatians 2:
9 James, Peter and John, those reputed to be pillars, gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship when they recognized the grace given to me. They agreed that we should go to the Gentiles, and they to the Jews.

Mark 9:
2 After six days Jesus took Peter,James, and John with him and led them up a high mountain, where they were all alone. There he was transfigured before them. 3 His clothes became dazzling white, whiter than anyone in the world could bleach them. 4 And there appeared before them Elijah and Moses, who were talking with Jesus.

Luke 5:
8 When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus' knees and said, "Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!" 9 For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, 10 and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon's partners.

There is no feasible way to confuse James, son of Zebedee with James, brother of Jesus. It's a much later church development that would have us believe that Jesus' brother rose to prominence.

dogsgod

"Uh-huh.."
elvis1.jpg

And yet not one cared enough to write about him, unlike in Elvis' case. Go figure.

Oberon

But he doesn't describe his Jesus Christ as a teacher, nor a miracle worker
He isn't writing a life of Jesus, but letters to address specific issues. Nonetheless, he still describes teachings of Jesus, which he distinguishes from his own (odd, if Jesus never lived and the apostles were simply self-initiated or whatever your dreaming up):

1 Cor. 7:10 tois gegamekosin paraggello, ouk alla ho kurios/ to those having been married I command, not I but the Lord...

contrasted with 1 Cor. 7:12 tois de loipois lego ego ouch ho kurios/ to the rest I say, I not the Lord...

Here he is clearly recording a teaching of Jesus (echoed in Matthew and Luke), and he distinguishes it from his own.

All in a mythical setting

How do you determine that 1 Cor. 11:23-25, the description of the last supper, is mythical? Because you want it to be?

The epistle writers are now only concerned with a spiritual Christ.

Wrong. There primary concern is not Jesus or Christ at all, but resolving issues in the communities to which they were writing.

Where do you get the notion that he was initiated by Peter? Paul states that he went to Jerusalem where he got "acquainted" with Peter.
That's because you can't read greek. I have already explained to you that Paul uses an unusual term here, which means "to inquire into." It is the verbal form of the greek word for history. If he has simply wanted to get acquainted with Peter, the word would be gignosko or something else, not historesai.

The author of Mark is writing an allegorical fiction of a Pauline tradition

First its allegorical fiction based on the OT, now it's based on the Pauline tradition. Why can't you keep your mistakes and inaccuracies straight?

He's never referred to as Jesus' brother in the epistles

Again you display basic lack of knowledge. Gal 1:19 heteron de ton apostolon ouk eidon ei me Iakobon ton adelphon tou kuriou/ but I did not see any of the other apostles, except James the brother of the Lord.

According to the gospel account of Jesus, Jesus' family accounted for a big fat zero.

Exactly. Now, why would an entirely fictional account of a savior have him rejected by the bulk of his family, when family was almost the most important thing throughout the ancient mediterranean?

There is the idea that the Twelve is a later Christian interpolation which makes sense considering the epistle writers, including Paul, make no other mention of the term.

Whose idea? Based on which website this time?

Q appears to be of a Gallilean tradition that Paul never refers to
He refers to the lords teaching on marriage which is recorded in Q. See above.

, and Q does not hint of a crucifixion.
No, but the passion narrative is earlier than Mark, and Paul contains hints of it.

The gospels are writing of a Pauline tradition and don't even assign a role to Jesus' brother.

So now Mark, who is basing his work on the Pauline tradition, cuts out James who Paul calls a pillar? You're not being consistent.

You can't assess that from a reading of the epistles.

See above.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
You have misunderstood me completely. I am saying that Paul himself defends his right to be considered on par with the eyewitnesses/disciples because he received his instructions from Jesus. I am not calling him anything, nor am I saying we should consider him anything. He was not an eyewitness, and he knew it. I am merely reporting how he wanted to be considered.

Thank you for making your position clear.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Do you know what those words mean? The term 'disciple' has two meanings:
  1. One who follows the teachings of another.
  2. One of the alleged twelve attendants.
The alternative to provisionally accepting the first is a completely unevidenced conspiracy theory, while no one is suggesting the second.

Nevermind......

Oberon has made his position clear in his response... :)

dogsgod

The mistaken assumption is that the Peter, James, and John that Paul refers to were disciples at one time and were eye witnesses to an earthly Jesus. Paul never mentions disciples, nor do the epistle writers. The assumption is based on the mistake of reading the epistles through a gospel lens. The epistle writings predate the gospels and would have been properly placed before the Gospels within the NT rather than after.

Last edited:

Oberon

The mistaken assumption is that the Peter, James, and John that Paul refers to were disciples at one time and were eye witnesses to an earthly Jesus. Paul never mentions disciples, nor do the epistle writers. The assumption is based on the mistake of reading the epistles through a gospel lens. The epistle writings predate the gospels and would have been properly placed before the Gospels within the NT rather than after.
Everybody who knows anything about the subject knows the epistles came first. However, everyone who knows anything about the subject also knows that the gospels contain more of the Jesus traditions than paul, as their purpose was to record the tradition. However, Paul mentions Jesus' teachings (some also represented in Q) and mentions James as the brother of Jesus (which would make him an eyewitness) despite your competely ignorant comment:
He's never referred to as Jesus' brother in the epistles.
. We can add that to the growing list of basic errors you have made on this topic.

He also mentions Jesus' last supper as well as his death (odd for a completely spiritual entity).

dogsgod

Everybody who knows anything about the subject knows the epistles came first. However, everyone who knows anything about the subject also knows that the gospels contain more of the Jesus traditions than paul, as their purpose was to record the tradition. However, Paul mentions Jesus' teachings (some also represented in Q) and mentions James as the brother of Jesus (which would make him an eyewitness) despite your competely ignorant comment:. We can add that to the growing list of basic errors you have made on this topic.

Provide chapters and verses

He also mentions Jesus' last supper as well as his death (odd for a completely spiritual entity).

Provide chapter and verse.

dogsgod

We can add that to the growing list of basic errors you have made on this topic.

No results found.

No results were found for last supper in the version(s):New International Version.
Try refining your search using the form above. You can find more about refining searches and using the search form effectively, visit the frequently-asked questions page.

I limited the search to the epistles, don't waste your time looking.

Oberon

Provide chapters and verses

Provide chapter and verse.
I already did.

For the last suppper: 1 Cor. 11:23-25 (just because he doesn't actually call it the last supper doesn't mean anything, as the gospels don't refer to it thus either. It is clearly the same tradition as recorded in the gospels).

For teachings on divorce (which correspond to Q in Matt 19:6,9/Lk 16:18): 1 Cor. 7:10 tois gegamekosin paraggello, ouk alla ho kurios/ to those having been married I command, not I but the Lord...

contrasted with 1 Cor. 7:12 tois de loipois lego ego ouch ho kurios/ to the rest I say, I not the Lord...
He also states distinguishes his teachings from Jesus again in 1 Cor. 7:25- peri de ton parthenon epitagen kyriou ouk echo/ concerning the unmarried/maidens i have no command from the Lord.

Last edited:

dogsgod

Paul mentions Jesus' teachings (some also represented in Q) and mentions James as the brother of Jesus (which would make him an eyewitness) despite your competely ignorant comment:. We can add that to the growing list of basic errors you have made on this topic.

Search for James brother of Jesus
Results 1-1 of 1

1. Jude 1:1
    Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ:
    Jude 1:1-3 (in Context) Jude 1 (Whole Chapter)

Oberon

Search for James brother of Jesus
Results 1-1 of 1

1. Jude 1:1
    Jude, a servant of Jesus Christ and a brother of James, To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ:
    Jude 1:1-3 (in Context) Jude 1 (Whole Chapter)
First, see my quotations above, to show your previous errors. Second, in Gal. 1:19 heteron de ton apostolon ouk eidon ei me Iakobon ton adelphon tou kyriou/ but I did not see any other apostles except James the brother of the Lord.

Once again, you don't know what you are talking about. You have to rely on searches through whatever you are using, because you are not familiar with the texts

Paul does reference Jesus teachings (as is also recorded in Q) does refer to the last supper, does mention a earthly Jesus who dies, and does refer to the brother of Jesus, contrary to what you have stated.

Again (just in case you missed your previous errors):

For teachings on divorce (which correspond to Q in Matt 19:6,9/Lk 16:18): 1 Cor. 7:10 tois gegamekosin paraggello, ouk alla ho kurios/ to those having been married I command, not I but the Lord...

He also states distinguishes his teachings from Jesus again in 1 Cor. 7:25- peri de ton parthenon epitagen kyriou ouk echo/ concerning the unmarried/maidens i have no command from the Lord.

When are you going to admit you simply haven't done the research into this subject to make the claims that you do?

Last edited:

dogsgod

James, brother of the Lord is open to interpretation. Besides Acts doesn't mention the names of any of Jesus' brothers or sisters. They don't factor in.

Oberon

James, brother of the Lord is open to interpretation. Besides Acts doesn't mention the names of any of Jesus' brothers or sisters. They don't factor in.

James is the only one ever referred to as the brother of the lord. You were wrong about his never being mentioned in the epistles. You were wrong about Paul never mentioning his teachings. You were wrong about Paul receiving the tradition from Jesus (enquiring into/learing from Peter), because you can't tell the semantic differences between the greek words used in that passage. We can now add these to all your other errors. You simply don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited: