• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus a Jew?

Teritos

In his family tree there are of course also Jews, but Rahab, Ruth and Bathsheba are not Jews but nevertheless appear in the family tree of Jesus, so Jesus was actually also a Gentile. What does it mean to be a Jew anyway? According to the OT, one can become a Jew by converting. Do ethnic Jews still exist at all, even though they have mixed with other peoples all these many years?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Chinese.

In fact, his last name is Hong. Jesus Hong. No idea where they're getting Christ from.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
According to Orthodox Judaism, Joshua married Rahab after she converted.

Ruth converted and married Boaz.

Batsheba was a Jew who married David.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I already said that you can convert. I have not denied that. But if you can convert, then anyone can be a Jew.
?? Of course you can convert. Not sure there's an issue here? I never raised this. Yes, anyone can convnert and be a Jew.

Are you sure she was Jewish? As far as I know, she was a Hittite or Sabean.
if she married David she was Jewish either through birth or conversion.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Then why is there Noahidism at all? Why don't the Noahides just become Jews?
Because it's not easy or always even desirable. Some may not want to take on all 613 laws when they needn't. They can eat pork, prawns, etc., not have to be circumcised; not have to use a mikveh or observe purity laws etc.

Teritos

Because it's not easy or always even desirable. Some may not want to take on all 613 laws when they needn't. They can eat pork, prawns, etc., not have to be circumcised; not have to use a mikveh or observe purity laws etc.
Nobody can keep all the commandments anyway.

And if keeping the law makes you a Jew, then I guess I'm a real Jew. Because I have Jesus' blood, his blood fulfilled the law. I don't have to do anything anymore.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Nobody can keep all the commandments anyway.
Devarim (Deut) 30:9-14

And the Lord, your God, will make you abundant for good in all the work of your hands, in the fruit of your womb, in the fruit of your livestock, and in the fruit of your soil. For the Lord will once again rejoice over you for good, as He rejoiced over your forefathers, when you obey the Lord, your God, to observe His commandments and His statutes written in this Torah scroll, [and] when you return to the Lord, your God, with all your heart and with all your soul.
For this commandment which I command you this day, is not concealed from you, nor is it far away.
It is not in heaven, that you should say, "Who will go up to heaven for us and fetch it for us, to tell [it] to us, so that we can fulfil it?"
Nor is it beyond the sea, that you should say, "Who will cross to the other side of the sea for us and fetch it for us, to tell [it] to us, so that we can fulfil it?"
Rather,[this] thing is very close to you; it is in your mouth and in your heart, so that you can fulfil it.

And no, unless you've converted or been born a Jew, you're not considered one.

exchemist

Veteran Member
In his family tree there are of course also Jews, but Rahab, Ruth and Bathsheba are not Jews but nevertheless appear in the family tree of Jesus, so Jesus was actually also a Gentile. What does it mean to be a Jew anyway? According to the OT, one can become a Jew by converting. Do ethnic Jews still exist at all, even though they have mixed with other peoples all these many years?
Jesus was a Jew when he was on Earth as a man, yes. Everybody knows that.

In his family tree there are of course also Jews, but Rahab, Ruth and Bathsheba are not Jews but nevertheless appear in the family tree of Jesus, so Jesus was actually also a Gentile. What does it mean to be a Jew anyway? ...

In Bible Jew is a person who is circumcised.

For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, neither is that circumcision which is outward in the flesh; but he is a Jew who is one inwardly, and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit not in the letter; whose praise is not from men, but from God.
Romans 2:28-29

By what I know, Bible doesn’t tell was Jesus circumcised, but I would assume so, because he was teaching in Jewish temple and took part of that practice.

But when it was now the midst of the feast, Jesus went up into the temple and taught. The Jews therefore marveled, saying, "How does this man know letters, having never been educated?"
John 7:14-15

rosends

Jesus was (if one believes he existed and that the accounts in the various gospels are to be believed) a Jew based on his mother's being Jewish. What more is there to this question?