• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Jesus a golden calf?

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Hellenism?
Rhetorical answers are as much fun as rhetorical questions. In other words we are noting the implication that a decent Jewish carpenter and a Galilean teacher has been transformed into a golden Hellenic god by the inheritors of the Roman Empire.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
My Question then is this: Is it possible that Jesus might have been a good prophet (as many people believe) that was turned into a deity by his followers?
Absolutely.

It has happened many times in history and still is happening today. You have cults growing all the time with the leader being deified and glorified.

The cross has become a graven image too. People are praying to Jesus using a crucifix. That's the same idea of token you have in religions with images. The image, the statue, the stick, the rock, whatever, is not the spirit, it only represents the spirit, just like the cross only represents Jesus. Graven images... that should be a no-no.

Also, remember when Israel started to pray to the copper snake? God gave it to them. Is it a symbol of Jesus?

This question assumes that Jesus was at the very least a real person so answer accordingly.
I do think it's very possible that a leader for a cult existed. It's kind-a typical for religious groups to start that way. A leader to is elevated to prophet or divine.

Poisonshady313

-How likely is it that the prophets were writing what they expected the messiah to be and not what the messiah actually was to be?

The answer to that question depends largely on how you define the word "prophet".

If we may presume that these prophets were prophets, and not random guys who call themselves prophets, then we can conclude that God was telling them what to expect. And if we may presume that God isn't a liar, then we can conclude that what they expected the messiah to be actually was what the messiah actually was to be.

User Inactive

Bid Farewell
Jesus is nothing more than a person who believed in a path and spread his thoughts to the world.

A good man. He is not God.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Babbzzz said:
Jesus is nothing more than a person who believed in a path and spread his thoughts to the world.

A good man. He is not God.
You're new to discussing things. If you don't want to comment on the topic, then go to a different section. What you said is entirely unrelated to the discussion. It is rude to disrespect everyone else talking about it. Its like eating with your feet.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Most people know the story of the Israelites and the golden calf. What a lot of people don't know is that the calf that was created was a sphinx like creature who's most prominent feature was its calf body. These creatures were believed to carry God down to earth. After a length of time people forgot God and began worshipping these sphinxes as God. Essentially they elevated something to a deific level because it was so close to the Holy One.

My Question then is this: Is it possible that Jesus might have been a good prophet (as many people believe) that was turned into a deity by his followers?

This question assumes that Jesus was at the very least a real person so answer accordingly.

According to the information that has been handed down to us Jesus definitely made divine claims about himself. But one can nuance what those actually mean and how they may relate to a strictly monotheistic view.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
One thing for sure is that this thread has risen from the dead! I thought it was new just looking at the date but then I saw the year!

LAGoff

Should one worship an idol if it helps? What I mean is that if I am suicidal, would- or should- I kill myself before availing myself of a very fine idol(Jesus) because Judaism has so conditioned me to be loyal to the one(not triune) God with no intermediaries?
I DO think that Jesus' message can be taken non-idolatrously, but I am one who needs structure, and every practical application of Jesus' teachings that I've seen revolves around the PERSON of Jesus(i.e. idolatry), and the ones that aren't I've found to be non-practical(i.e. lacking the structure I need).

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Should one worship an idol if it helps? What I mean is that if I am suicidal, would- or should- I kill myself before availing myself of a very fine idol(Jesus) because Judaism has so conditioned me to be loyal to the one(not triune) God with no intermediaries?
I DO think that Jesus' message can be taken non-idolatrously, but I am one who needs structure, and every practical application of Jesus' teachings that I've seen revolves around the PERSON of Jesus(i.e. idolatry), and the ones that aren't I've found to be non-practical(i.e. lacking the structure I need).

It should be noted that an idol is something worshiped besides God. If Jesus were God incarnate he would not be an idol.