• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong to....

Theocan

pass out copies of "The New Testament" to graduating seniors in a public school?

Okay, today we had graduation practice (graduating tomorrow, FINALLY!) on our way out they handed all of us a copy of the "New Testament." I was not really offended, but then I thought about the Jews, muslims, buddhists, hindus, and atheist and figured isn't that offensive to say that this school is Christian... (there is an American flag posted in the copy.) That this nation is founded on Christianity? We all know that not to be true, the founding fathers were general theists.

Don't get me wrong it was a nice gesture, but it seemed like a little propaganda for Christians, and that it is an "American religion."

Discuss.

ayani

i don't think that's appropriate... to hand every person a copy of one faith's scriptures at a public school.

if a religious mission wanted to stand outside after the practice and offer copies of the NT to students, that would be different. but a school should acknowledge and respect religious diversity, and not use the event to pass out scriptures.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If it was a public school (or even a non-religious private school, IMO), it was inappropriate.

I think the only situation where it might have been appropriate is if the school were a specifically Christian private school.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Yes, it's wrong. Sadly, fact is, they do it when you join the military as well. If anything says anything about the nation "being Christian" then handing out bibles to the ones trying to protect our freedoms (one being freedom of religion) has to be a big one.

I don't understand how it is that the specific Christians and churches that do such a thing can't understand that what they do is greatly offensive and morally wrong.:shrug: Just sad. :(

Theocan

If it was a public school (or even a non-religious private school, IMO), it was inappropriate.

I think the only situation where it might have been appropriate is if the school were a specifically Christian private school.

Agree, my problem was is that my school is a public school.
doppelgänger;1177869 said:
Who was passing them out?

Our class officers were passing them out, along with our report card and tickets.

However, the Senior class officers are handled by a "born-Again Christian"

No offence, to other Born- agains but tend to be the most, "outgoing" of there religion.

ayani

Theocan - i hear you. i'm a born-again Christian, but i hear where you're coming from, and you're right.

the other week, my church went out to "witness" to people at a Wal-Mart. the tactic was basically to begin a casual conversation, then swing over to "you're a sinner, and you're going to hell unless you accept Jesus Christ. do you want to accept Jesus Christ"?

i couldn't bring myself to give the spiel, so i wound up telling people about our church, and inviting them. let them come and experience God for themselves- a tract that reduces the message of Christ to "don't wind up in hell! pray this prayer today!" kind of misses the point, imo.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Our class officers were passing them out, along with our report card and tickets.
Did school officials know about this?

Either way, it is highly inappropriate. I'm just curious as to how far up the inappropriateness extends.

Theocan

Theocan - i hear you. i'm a born-again Christian, but i hear where you're coming from, and you're right.

the other week, my church went out to "witness" to people at a Wal-Mart. the tactic was basically to begin a casual conversation, then swing over to "you're a sinner, and you're going to hell unless you accept Jesus Christ. do you want to accept Jesus Christ"?

i couldn't bring myself to give the spiel, so i wound up telling people about our church, and inviting them. let them come and experience God for themselves- a tract that reduces the message of Christ to "don't wind up in hell! pray this prayer today!" kind of misses the point, imo.

I totally agree, it badly misrepresents one's religions when church leaders and followers do that. And any human passing "judgment" of damnation on to others is the biggest fallacy in human history. Us, as imperfect men and women do not know who is going to heaven or hell, who will feel God's grace... and to me when the God calls upon us to "spread the word of God." My interpation is to be open to other people, and lead with good actions... that will attract far more people than damning them on the spot.

Draka

Wonder Woman
Someone hands me a bible or some other religious tract or anything, I tend to just hand it back to them and tell them to give it to someone who wants it. If it is in an inappropriate place or setting to even offer them...I usually say so as well.

Theocan

Did school officials know about this?

Either way, it is highly inappropriate. I'm just curious as to how far up the inappropriateness extends.

Yeah, I was really shocked when I recieved one. I honestly, was speachless and did not even think of possible actions until I got home.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
i don't think that's appropriate... to hand every person a copy of one faith's scriptures at a public school.

if a religious mission wanted to stand outside after the practice and offer copies of the NT to students, that would be different. but a school should acknowledge and respect religious diversity, and not use the event to pass out scriptures.
How so?

Both evangelization methods take advantage of the fact that kids have to go to school.

I'd be annoyed at a private company that decided to hand out product samples to kids on the sidewalk in front of a school; I'd be just as annoyed if religious representatives did it.

It may be somewhat less unacceptable than handing out Bibles in school itself, but I don't think using school as an excuse to proseltyize to kids is ever appropriate.

Theocan

Someone hands me a bible or some other religious tract or anything, I tend to just hand it back to them and tell them to give it to someone who wants it. If it is in an inappropriate place or setting to even offer them...I usually say so as well.

Hmm, I wonder if classes before mine, also recieved a copy.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was once approached by an LDS missionary on a transit bus; I think he seemed genuinely surprised when I told him that I didn't think it was right for him to be doing what he was in that setting.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
How so?

Both evangelization methods take advantage of the fact that kids have to go to school.

I'd be annoyed at a private company that decided to hand out product samples to kids on the sidewalk in front of a school; I'd be just as annoyed if religious representatives did it.
Both take advantage of the fact that kids have to go to school. But only one carries the authority of school. You don't have the right to be protected from things that annoy you. But you do have the right to know that one religious view will not be officially promoted by your govt and funded by your tax dollars over other views.

trinity2359

I don't really have a problem with it. It's like a graduation gift, if you will. I am sure that as a graduating senior you had the capacity to accept or reject the gift in a polite manner. I had the same thing happen when I joined the Army- National Guard, in my welcome pack was a NT from the Gideon- same people who put those bedside bibles in hotel rooms. And congrats on your achievement, btw!