• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Wrong To Be Proud Of Viking Heritage?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Vikings preyed upon other countries, raping, killing, pillaging, & enslaving people.
Should this be overlooked or should the be vilified for it, as we do with the Confederacy?

I'm not sure, although I don't know why anyone would single out the Confederacy. The Union enslaved, raped, killed, and pillaged much more than either the Vikings or the Confederacy. Yet, we wave the flag and show our pride for America. Even people who call themselves liberal wear the American flag pin, even though we have a worse track record.

So, none of it makes any real sense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm not sure, although I don't know why anyone would single out the Confederacy. The Union enslaved, raped, killed, and pillaged much more than either the Vikings or the Confederacy. Yet, we wave the flag and show our pride for America. Even people who call themselves liberal wear the American flag pin, even though we have a worse track record.

So, none of it makes any real sense.
The flag pin could mean to them what the
country is or where they imagine it going,
rather than about its history.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The flag pin could mean to them what the
country is or where they imagine it going,
rather than about its history.

Still, it's a part of the overall heritage. Personally, I don't think it's wrong to be proud of one's heritage, even if it does seem kind of odd to be proud of something one had no control over. I don't see it as any great achievement to be born in America - or even to have Viking heritage. There's good and bad in every country.

As for the flag pin, I suspect most people wear it without much thought, perhaps a kind of "patriotic theater" of sorts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes. But this is a generalization. We are speaking of a very diverse group of people. Generalizations are not historical. It is not what the historian does.
It is historically accurate. Viking is a word that roughly means pirate, it was a job description, and it did involve being a living nightmare for many throughout Europe and beyond.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
And yet you object with the accusation of my hypocrisy.
Your posts have been reckless & rude. So I won't be
wasting time going back over old & edited posts just to
better understand the drama.

If that's what makes you feel better feel free to make **** up and pretend i said it, feel free to insult with silly Simpsons stereotypes .

The hypocrisy in that particular post was blatent, i.e. being of "limey" ancestory and being pround to drive your kinsmen out

sorry you don't like it

The moment you started putting words in my mouth i turned on button pushing mode. Your choice.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Vikings preyed upon other countries, raping, killing, pillaging, & enslaving people.
Should this be overlooked or should the be vilified for it, as we do with the Confederacy?

I have Viking ancestry,I have Viking hand to prove it,I will not vilify them but I do admire some of their achievements,Vikings aka pirates or sea kings included the Geats who are prominent in Beowulf.

The Confederacy for example conjures up visions of the KKK,I’m unaware of vikings raping and pillaging these days but we know racism still exists for them good ok southern boys.

Interestingly I watched “Mississippi burning” a few days ago,great movie,I saw it when it first screened too,the leader of the KKK in a speech

“We do not accept Jews, because they rejecy Christ! And their control over the International Banking Cartels are at the root of what we call Communism today. We do not accept Papists, because they bow to a Roman dictator! We do not accept Turks, Mongrels, Tartars, Orientals nor Negroes because we are here to protect Anglo-Saxon Democracy, and the American way!”

Here’s another quote:

“- Mayor Tilman: Do you like baseball, do you, Anderson?
- Anderson: Yeah, I do. You know, it's the only time when a black man can wave a stick at a white man and not start a riot.”

So the Confederate legacy lives on while the Viking way has melted into history,imo there’s no comparison between the two.