• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong to advocate homosexuality as a sin?

Jeremiah

I think it is wrong to advocate homosexuality as a sin. I think it supports and contributes to prejudice against and ignorance of homosexuality. I think spreading the idea, that homosexuality is a sin, is harmful to many, especially gay youths (who are not worldly enough to see past the nonsense).

I want to know what other think about this.

Now, to be clear, I am not questioning the right to spread this nonsense. I understand freedom of expression and its importance. But just because something is lawful that does not mean it is right.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
It's not a sin to be a homosexual. I believe that this is what a lot of homosexuals (those who desire to be religious anyways) should be told. It's not wrong to be a homosexual. What one must control is one's actions.

The whole issue is really blown out of proportion quite a bit. It's not even that serious a matter.

Is it wrong to tell a person that it's a sin to be who they are? That's certainly debatable. However, I believe that it would be wrong to do so.

Jeremiah

It's not a sin to be a homosexual. I believe that this is what a lot of homosexuals (those who desire to be religious anyways) should be told. It's not wrong to be a homosexual. What one must control is one's actions.

The whole issue is really blown out of proportion quite a bit. It's not even that serious a matter.

Is it wrong to tell a person that it's a sin to be who they are? That's certainly debatable. However, I believe that it would be wrong to do so.

"What one must control is one's actions."

Please elaborate.

I think it is wrong to advocate homosexuality as a sin. I think it supports and contributes to prejudice against and ignorance of homosexuality. I think spreading the idea, that homosexuality is a sin, is harmful to many, especially gay youths (who are not worldly enough to see past the nonsense).

Now, to be clear, I am not questioning the right to spread this nonsense. I understand freedom of expression and its importance. But just because something is lawful that does not mean it is right.
Then you would need to have the bible re-written. I have several good friends who are homosexual. I don't condone their lifestyle, but I value their friendship and their counsel on certain things. Neither has tried to "initiate" me into what they do. I have asked them what they believe that made them live the way they do, and they felt that at an early age they were like this. SO, genetic pre-disposition?, a genetic flaw?. I love them as my friends, but I don't condone the acts. But, I will not be the one who judges them. It is not for me to do that. We all have to atone and answer for our sins. But in God's eyes, what we deem to be small or large sins are all the same to him.:cover:

Jeremiah

Then you would need to have the bible re-written. I have several good friends who are homosexual. I don't condone their lifestyle, but I value their friendship and their counsel on certain things. Neither has tried to "initiate" me into what they do. I have asked them what they believe that made them live the way they do, and they felt that at an early age they were like this. SO, genetic pre-disposition?, a genetic flaw?. I love them as my friends, but I don't condone the acts. But, I will not be the one who judges them. It is not for me to do that. We all have to atone and answer for our sins. But in God's eyes, what we deem to be small or large sins are all the same to him.:cover:

"Then you would need to have the bible re-written"

I am sure there are many things in the Bible you disregard, as do many people, on many passages in the Bible. But no, this one gets special attention. I mean what about the part where it say they should be put to death? Why are you not killing homosexuals?

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The bible should teach that God loves all people for who they are, and not what a book wants them to be. There is nothing moral about dismissing people for choices they make that affect no one. I have no respect for people who cannot at least respect a homosexuals rights and rights they deserve.

And why is homosexual sex wrong? Because a bible says so? The church these days ignores so many things that one more won't hurt.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
The bible should teach that God loves all people for who they are, and not what a book wants them to be. There is nothing moral about dismissing people for choices they make that affect no one. I have no respect for people who cannot at least respect a homosexuals rights and rights they deserve.

And why is homosexual sex wrong? Because a bible says so? The church these days ignores so many things that one more won't hurt.

1. The Bible does teach that God loves all people for who they are. He created them after all.
2. Dismissing people because of their choices is part of what a legal system does.
3. Homosexual sex is wrong because God said in the Bible that it is. Those who believe in the Bible believe that it is wrong.
4.The fact that organized bodies of Bible-believers ignore many things does not mean that the individual Bible-believer is free to do so.

Jeremiah

Homosexuality: the quality or state of being homosexual

There is nothing wrong with telling a person it is wrong to engage in homosexual sex if that is what one believes. It is wrong to tell a person that being a homosexual is wrong.

You are going to define homosexuality to me? No, I don't think so. You people have done enough damage in defining homosexuality.

At any rate it is unhealthy to suppress your sexual urges and confusing to a youth. It is important for a person, especially a youth, to accept who they are. But yet you want to teach them to loathe a central part of themselves. Now, I understand you may have good intent, but a youth will interpret what you are saying much differently. You are not going to have the impact you are looking for from a youth who, at that age, has deep desire to fit in.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
1. The Bible does teach that God loves all people for who they are. He created them after all.
2. Dismissing people because of their choices is part of what a legal system does.
3. Homosexual sex is wrong because God said in the Bible that it is. Those who believe in the Bible believe that it is wrong.
4.The fact that organized bodies of Bible-believers ignore many things does not mean that the individual Bible-believer is free to do so.

1. Obviously not, because the bible is "apparently" teaching the believers to act against the homosexuals. If God loved his creations, he would have created them to not be attacked for being themselves. If not then he is a sadist of the noblist blood.
2. The legal system backed by religious organisations, suprise suprise.
3. Then why aren't the believers demanding their rights to have a slave? Picking and choosing is what abrahamic religions do best, its pathetic.
4. Individuals within religious societies are rare, mindless sheep are the masses and they'll do whatever they're told by the so called righteous men of God.

Using the bible as an excuse to propogate hatred is wearing pretty thin.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
You are going to define homosexuality to me? No, I don't think so. You people have done enough damage in defining homosexuality.

At any rate it is unhealthy to suppress your sexual urges and confusing to a youth. It is important for a person, especially a youth, to accept who they are. But yet you want to teach them to loath a central part of themselves. Now, I understand you may have good intent, but a youth will interpret what you are saying much differently. You are not going to have the impact you are looking for from a youth who, at that age, has deep desire to fit in.

For one, I have met many a youth who such information HAS impacted.For two, it is not unhealthy to have control of ones sexual desires. Self-control and responsibility are important values for any person to have.

No one said anything about telling someone to loath a central part of who they are. Please don't read into my words what is not there. I am not the fundamentalist evangelical Christian right.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
1. Obviously not, because the bible is "apparently" teaching the believers to act against the homosexuals. If God loved his creations, he would have created them to not be attacked for being themselves. If not then he is a sadist of the noblist blood.
It is wrong for a person to "attack" someone else based on who that person is. A person is not permitted to attack a homosexual based on that fact alone.

2. The legal system backed by religious organisations, suprise suprise.
Any legal system. The purpose of a legal system is to administer justice to those who violate those values which a society upholds as being obligatory. A person makes a choice, they suffer the consequences.

3. Then why aren't the believers demanding their rights to have a slave? Picking and choosing is what abrahamic religions do best, its pathetic.
Because I believe that most people have realized that humanity has lost its right to have slaves. The majority of people could not properly handle having someone in their service.

4. Individuals within religious societies are rare, mindless sheep are the masses and they'll do whatever they're told by the so called righteous men of God.
I see that you know nothing of religious societies.

Using the bible as an excuse to propogate hatred is wearing pretty thin.

No one is talking about hatred. I don't think a single person in this thread has advocated hatred against any other person.

Jeremiah

For one, I have met many a youth who such information HAS impacted.For two, it is not unhealthy to have control of ones sexual desires. Self-control and responsibility are important values for any person to have.

No one said anything about telling someone to loath a central part of who they are. Please don't read into my words what is not there. I am not the fundamentalist evangelical Christian right.

"For two, it is not unhealthy to have control of ones sexual desires. Self-control and responsibility are important values for any person to have."

There is a difference between controlling your sexual urges and believing they are a sin.

"No one said anything about telling someone to loath a central part of who they are."

I know that is not what you are saying but that is what will happen.

"Please don't read into my words what is not there"

How would you know? Have you lived through such or studied it?

riverfox

A slave of Allah (swt)

According to God,sins are harmful.
He allows them as lawful what is good (and pure) and prohibits them from what is bad (and impure).
[Al-Qur'an.7:157]
As you don't believe in that.you probably need to check it yourself.
But first
But just because something is lawful that does not mean it is right
Why should the wrong things be lawful ?
In many countries Homosexuality is not lawful,same people who speak against these laws of these countries do agree to the laws that forbid incest for example and also speak agianst it, ignoring their own "freedom principals"
Laws regarding incest - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Do you (Any body who thinks that homosexuality should not be a sin) think that incest should be lawful ? Just like those who practise it think, or do you think it should remain unlawful ?.

TheKnight

Guardian of Life
Well you have now. I am not a youth any more but I have been through it.
What? What do you mean I have now?

There is a difference between controlling your sexual urges and believing they are a sin.
I agree. I support the former and not the latter.

I know that is not what you are saying but that is what will happen.
I disagree. If explained correctly, and dealt with in a non-condescending manner it won't happen. I have seen it.

How would you know? Have you lived through such or studied it?
How would I know what?

Jeremiah

What? What do you mean I have now?

I agree. I support the former and not the latter.

I disagree. If explained correctly, and dealt with in a non-condescending manner it won't happen. I have seen it.

How would I know what?

"What? What do you mean I have now?"

Edited it out.

"I agree. I support the former and not the latter. "

You defiantly support the latter also. Right here: "I believe that it is wrong for a person to participate in any act of forbidden sex"

You tell a youth that homosexual sex is forbidden then they are going to assume the urge is also wrong. They are going to grow to hate themselves with that mentally. You go around spreading crap like this it is going to have a negative impact.

"I disagree. If explained correctly, and dealt with in a non-condescending manner it won't happen. I have seen it."

"I have seen it"

Sure you have. At any rate, it is a warped perception. To deny one's own sexual urges for some stupid reason, like this, is silly. And as much as you believe you've seen it I doubt you have seen the full picture. The implications, of such, is vast; it can, and often, darkens one's whole perception of life. I mean why even risk it? Chances are you are going to mess the youth up and for what? For what? There is no good reason to say it is a sin in the first place.

"How would I know what?"

How would you know what effect your words have? On what authority do you speak?

Last edited: