• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong that a female portray Jesus Christ?

idea

Question Everything
If a god exists it might be female, and why not? Maybe Jesus was transgender!:D

In fact - his name was not Jesus (the masculine "us" ending was added much later by the Romnans) His name - Jahwah - is feminine.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Reminds me of people whining and crying the Doctor is played by a female now. It's not a flattering statement of the state of our society that so many object to something that really doesn't matter.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Mother Angelica thought so in 1993.
I think so too.

I think it was an embarrassment to America when the Pope visited Denver to see a broad portraying Christ.

I do believe that God has one and only one begotten Son. No begotten daughters of God are ever mentioned in the Good Book.

Can you imagine a woman playing Babe Ruth in a film or even Neil Armstrong?
Can you imagine a girl playing Pinocchio?
Can you imagine a boy playing Mary, the Mother of Jesus (except in Shakespeare's time)?
Can you imagine a muscle man like Hulk Hogan, Arnold Schwarzenegger or the Iron Sheik playing Queen Victoria?
Can I imagine all of what you speak of?
Yes quite easily. Especially in theatre. Artsy actors take acting seriously to a point where the sex and indeed build of the person acting is supposed to be thrown out. That’s kind of the point of acting. Look into the indie scene and you’ll find some err “interesting” casting choices for many parts.

If that "face of Jesus" with the beard is really a woman then that's the ugliest woman I've ever seen.
Most visual art renders Christ as a white man with long hair and beard and a rather soft, humble expression.
*facepalm*
So you’re saying you’d never recognise the real Jesus in a million years?
And you’re supposed to emulate him? For shame!! You’d rebuke him before he even spoke his message to you.
I agree with Gandhi. Christ is fine. It’s his followers who drag his good name through the mud. Smh.

dianaiad

I find it both funny and sad that so many delicate snowflakes get their panties in a twist because someone wants to portray a fictional character as a different gender or race. They're FICTIONAL CHARACTERS for heaven's sake, everything about them is made up and can be changed at will. .

uh....

Don't be so sure that Jesus was a fictional character. Whether or not you believe He was the Savior and the Only Begotten Son of God is a matter of opinion, but that this man actually existed...an itinerant preacher who got himself a following and then killed?

Why in the WORLD do so many non-believers not only insist that we accept their pronouncement that He was not in any way divine, but that He didn't exist in any possible way? And why in the world are you begging THAT question, anyway? A whole bunch of us don't agree with your insistence that everything about Him is fictional.

Oh....since you made the claim, you get to prove it. You prove to me that Jesus of Nazareth was a truly fictional character, with no possibility of a real existence about Him. You know...not that He wasn't divine, but that He didn't ever exist at all.

I don't get that one, at all. It's a truly silly position, and based even more upon 'pure faith' than His possible divinity is, being in complete denial of some good historical objective evidence.

dianaiad

Reminds me of people whining and crying the Doctor is played by a female now. It's not a flattering statement of the state of our society that so many object to something that really doesn't matter.

Well, it does matter...just not in the way the OP writer seems to think it does.

Look at it this way. I love Beowulf. Now as far as I am aware, those characters ARE absolutely fictional. However, I don't think it would work to have Harrison Ford play Grendel's mother.

Just sayin'.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, it does matter...just not in the way the OP writer seems to think it does.

Look at it this way. I love Beowulf. Now as far as I am aware, those characters ARE absolutely fictional. However, I don't think it would work to have Harrison Ford play Grendel's mother.

Just sayin'.
Oh I don’t know. With motion capture technology anything is possible these days. But I’d prefer to give Mark Hamil a shot, personally. ;)

74x12

I think so too.

I think it was an embarrassment to America when the Pope visited Denver to see a broad portraying Christ.

I do believe that God has one and only one begotten Son. No begotten daughters of God are ever mentioned in the Good Book.

Can you imagine a boy playing Mary, the Mother of Jesus (except in Shakespeare's time)?
Can you imagine a muscle man like Hulk Hogan, Arnold Schwarzenegger or the Iron Sheik playing Queen Victoria?
I suspect they do it to mock God.

dianaiad

Oh I don’t know. With motion capture technology anything is possible these days. But I’d prefer to give Mark Hamil a shot, personally. ;)
tumblr_ol0jp8fBaK1srgio2o1_500.jpg
mark-hamill-2011.jpg

OK, maybe.

dianaiad

But the Book did say that God made man in His own image. The creature on the far left looks nothing like the octopus-looking thing. Michelangelo surely made Adam's manhood small.

What, you have a problem with God as Cthulhu?

I do, mind you, but from what I have read from this thread, not to many folks here would.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Just sayin'.
Why's that? It's a story of exaggeration and fable, and I'm pretty sure people said about the same before any race-reversals of Othello were performed.

QuestioningMind

uh....

Don't be so sure that Jesus was a fictional character. Whether or not you believe He was the Savior and the Only Begotten Son of God is a matter of opinion, but that this man actually existed...an itinerant preacher who got himself a following and then killed?

Why in the WORLD do so many non-believers not only insist that we accept their pronouncement that He was not in any way divine, but that He didn't exist in any possible way? And why in the world are you begging THAT question, anyway? A whole bunch of us don't agree with your insistence that everything about Him is fictional.

Oh....since you made the claim, you get to prove it. You prove to me that Jesus of Nazareth was a truly fictional character, with no possibility of a real existence about Him. You know...not that He wasn't divine, but that He didn't ever exist at all.

I don't get that one, at all. It's a truly silly position, and based even more upon 'pure faith' than His possible divinity is, being in complete denial of some good historical objective evidence.

It's certainly POSSIBLE that this proposed individual actually existed, but until I'm presented with verifiable evidence that he actually did, I'm more than welcome to consider him to be a fictional character.

I don't know about any other atheists, but as for myself, I have NEVER insisted that ANYONE accept that he was not real. All I ever do is state that I've yet to see sufficient evidence to believe that he did.

Oh....since you made the claim, you get to prove it.

No I don't. If you can't provide sufficient evidence that he DID exist, it does not mean that I'm required to prove that he didn't. Just like if I can't provide sufficient evidence for you to believe that I have a fire breathing dragon in my garage, it is NOT incumbent upon you prove that my dragon does NOT exist.

What I don't understand is why folks like you get your panties in a twist when people who clearly consider Jesus to be a fictional character choose to depict Jesus as a woman.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Any female that dares portray Our Lord and Savior is not worthy of the title "lady".

It's utter perversion. It's an abominable blasphemy. It's the devil's very own craft.

It makes a mockery of Christ. It vainly tries to cheapen divinity.

Why does the fact that Jesus had a phallus matter? He didn't use it...or maybe he did...

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I think so too.

A broad? The 1930's called and they want their lingo back.

Do you mean Neil Armstrong playing Babe Ruth? He did tag the moon.

That makes sense. Casting Schwarzenegger as Queen Victoria. That is the same thing as a woman playing Christ in a play.

Well, think of it as Shakespeare then.

dianaiad

Why's that? It's a story of exaggeration and fable, and I'm pretty sure people said about the same before any race-reversals of Othello were performed.

I think...no matter how politically correct one gets, men simply do not give birth.

(shrug)

But you never know WHAT those silly idiots over there on the extreme edges want to try....

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I think...no matter how politically correct one gets, men simply do not give birth.

(shrug)

But you never know WHAT those silly idiots over there on the extreme edges want to try....
I will not stand for men giving birth or with those that are advocating for it

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member

Just sayin'.
I think Harrison Ford has the chops to make a fair showing, but I would bet that Robert Downy, Jr. could really pull it off.