• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong for religious people to listen to secular music?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I listen to all types of music, but upon returning to faith, I wonder if it's wrong (for want of a better word) to listen to certain types of music, with lyrics that might be too worldly. Thing is, a lot of hip hop and dance music is really fun and has a great beat...so, it's hard to turn it off, sometimes. lol :blush:

If you are religious, do you think there is anything wrong with listening to secular hip hop music, or secular music in general?

I can understand religious people not wanting to listen to music that's directly offensive to their religion, but other than that it seems like a rather silly concern.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
and devil worship songs
Very few musicians with "devil lyrics" actually worship the devil. Almost nearly every band that has such lyrics are doing it as nothing more than an act - no different than Anthony Hopkins pretending to be an extremely intelligent psychopathic cannibal psychologist or children pretending to be witches and zombies on Halloween. And, afterall, Tom Araya (singer/bassist of Slayer) and Ozzy Osbourne are both Catholic.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I listen to all types of music, but upon returning to faith, I wonder if it's wrong (for want of a better word) to listen to certain types of music, with lyrics that might be too worldly. Thing is, a lot of hip hop and dance music is really fun and has a great beat...so, it's hard to turn it off, sometimes. lol :blush:

If you are religious, do you think there is anything wrong with listening to secular hip hop music, or secular music in general?

Hip hop is a mortal sin even for this atheist.

Ciao

- viole

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To drive the point home, the guy sings this song, a song with the lyrics "religion is hate, religion is fear....Jesus is pain, Jesus is gore...I see through your Christ illusion" is a Catholic.
But here is an interview with Slayer's guitarist Kerry King:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...rming_in_slayer_despite_being_a_catholic.html
"But, yeah - I always thought I would get to a point and just say something so offensive that that situation might happen, and it hasn't yet.
"I think [Araya] realizes Slayer is entertainment, and I think that's how Tom rationalizes his participation. (emphasis original)
And according to Araya "Nah, God doesn't hate us all, but it's a cool ****ing song title."

morphesium

Don't trust your religion, it is lying. If you like music of any kind, enjoy it.

Religious people only pretend to be of higher morale (than ordinary people) and one of the way to show their "higher morale" is by disagreeing with things other people normally cherish. They keep on saying "don't listen to music or don't dance or don't drink wine etc for these would bring Gods dislikes". These kind of things sell well especially to the ignorant and weak minds. So, to suppress something you cherish shows the religious heads how much addicted to you are "addicted" to your religion.

Trust me, there is nothing wrong in listening to music. It is just a form of art giving pleasure to the mind, very similar to the kind of pleasure you get when you adore the aesthetic beauty of their chruch (paintings, statues, decorations etc). If they can modify their chruch, you can listen to music.

Moreover, your ability to enjoy music is your Gods gift for you. Not every one can enjoy the type of music you enjoy. There are cultures/religions out there which see music as Gods creation or has a God for music or considers music as holy. (These religions would be using a different approach to show their "higher morale" though:smilingimp:)

Additionally, it is scientifically proven that a happier brain is more creative and more peaceful. So have a nice time enjoying music.

Acim

Revelation all the time

This is a bit tough for me. First, I'm spiritual more than religious. Second, I like a lot of variety in music. I see music as universal endeavor and does at times explain things better than say science, religion, philosophy, mathematics. It has power to unify people, bringing them together for enjoyment and a sense of enlightenment.

With lyrics, I do sometimes think that authors of songs aren't actually aware of what they are conveying. I don't actually expect that as part of arts is having it be open to different interpretations. I also think that some lyricists are not actually aware of what the song is about, and are essentially just scribes. I've heard too often of a lyricist saying "it all just came to me in one sitting. Took me 5 minutes to write this." Which if the song is about nothing important might seem like obvious that it only took short while to write it. Yet, some songs (no examples off top of my head, sorry) that are very moving, are in that vein. I also convey this as a poet (written well over 500) where some are clearly crafted by me, while others just spilled out as if I was 'automatic writing.'

I do overlay lots of spirituality in songs. In many songs, I find it hard not to do this, even if lyricist may claim otherwise. Most of the time, artists don't do this and let it be whatever it is for their audience.

As you brought up hip hop, which I enjoy, I see a whole bunch of it that is popular and is spiritual, but not overly so. Obviously something like Common's G.O.D. is overtly spiritual, but an album like Cee-Lo Green's "Perfect Imperfections" are more subtle. Same goes with Grandmaster Flash's "The Message." Or same with Outkast's "Liberation." All that, minus The Message, might be closer to neo-soul than hip hop, but labels schmabels. Songs like, "911 Is A Joke" (by PE), or "Just Don't Bite It" (NWA), or even "Rapper's Delight" (SHG) aren't so easy to discern a spiritual type message, nor do I seek that when listening to them.

With that said, I do think some music's lyrics do present a slightly wrong view of life if coming at the art from desire to uphold spiritual/religious convictions. I see it as entertainment, and rather easy to take with a grain of salt as if this isn't how actually I'll live my life. But that is just downplaying the spiritual perspective. Frankly though, I see the same thing in so called "religious" forms of entertainment or art. And I generally take that with grain of salt. Like a spiritual book or movie where key part of narrative is about a character (could be written as non-fiction) is said to interact with divine being is what makes it spiritual, probably why I am choosing to read/watch it. But there could be a whole lot of time spent on some secular items pertaining to that character, all of which I take with grain of salt. It may entertain me, but may also not be my cup of tea what that character chose to do at that stage of life.

I also see what another in this thread said which is using metaphors or anti-hero type characters to convey certain messages in a way that might not be readily graspable if said more directly. Like "I Shot The Sheriff" or "Major Tom" or thousands of other songs. Pink Floyd's "The Wall" being one big huge metaphorical narrative that is not positive, but consistently hits me in a spot of artistic expression that I find brilliant and worthy of revisiting for deeper meaning.

Orbit

I'm a planet

What's wrong is to treat people badly or indifferently. Like Jesus said, God cares more about what comes out of your mouth than what goes in.

Deidre

Thank you for the replies everyone, been busy today, but will come back tomorrow to chat more about this. Personally, music is art, and tells a story. There are songs out there that have negative lyrics, I don't typically like negative music in general, but there is plenty of secular music that is uplifting. Like a painting, we might not like every artist, but every artist nonetheless tells a story, and not so sure it's 'wrong' or immoral to hear the story. If that makes sense.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes people sing about personal experiences or choices. In a way its like scripture, because you can find out things about yourself. You can learn things about life through songs, like things that nobody would otherwise tell you. Sometimes a song doesn't make sense until I've had an experience like the person singing. That happens, too.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Like a painting, we might not like every artist, but every artist nonetheless tells a story, and not so sure it's 'wrong' or immoral to hear the story. If that makes sense.
For me, Wagner is such an artist. There isn't much to like about a proto-Nazi, but his music is very rich, bold, and brilliant, and good enough that many of his songs have never went out of style and are deeply embedded into our culture.

Yoshua

Very few musicians with "devil lyrics" actually worship the devil. Almost nearly every band that has such lyrics are doing it as nothing more than an act - no different than Anthony Hopkins pretending to be an extremely intelligent psychopathic cannibal psychologist or children pretending to be witches and zombies on Halloween. And, afterall, Tom Araya (singer/bassist of Slayer) and Ozzy Osbourne are both Catholic.
Yeah. Of course, the devil is a deceiver and the father of lies. He don't like to expose himself but to deceive others. Anyone may say that they are Christ's followers, Christians, R. Catholics etc.... but the real thing is what we are doing.

Thanks

Kelly of the Phoenix

No. Even music you shouldn't give to your kids (LOL) can have powerfully spiritual messages if you read between the lines.

I agree, in terms of right or wrong, and aware of that in Islam. In Christianity with so many denominations and sects, there are a myriad of rules and dogma that lead one to feel that it could be immoral or lead one into immorality in one sect/denom, and it not be at all potentially offensive, in another sect. Of course there are Christians who feel that listening to anything outside of instrumental type music, and Gospel hymns might be considered blasphemy. lol
Which is funny because it's not like the majority of famous Christian "good" music comes from 1st century Palestine. :)

As a HUGE fan of Hip Hop, I feel like the older I get (I'm 19 now), the more I begin to vomit over the state of Hip Hop music (some of it). Black youths, we're looking up to the WRONG TYPE OF PEOPLE, namely the WRONG KIND OF ARTISTS who are putting out there the WRONG KINDS OF LYRICS. At least, that's true for the mainstream....
Just wait, then you'll know us 80s kids' pain ... and I guess now we know the pain of those who grew up in the rockin 50's and 60s :)

Yeah. Of course, the devil is a deceiver and the father of lies. He don't like to expose himself but to deceive others. Anyone may say that they are Christ's followers, Christians, R. Catholics etc.... but the real thing is what we are doing.

Thanks
I consider Christian pop to be from the devil ... or at least a dark void of unintelligent shallow repetition. :p

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Thanks
What does the Devil have to deceive and lie about?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

I heard someone say once that all music is a form of prayer, and I agree in a sense, it's one of many unique talents/appreciations God gave only to humanity

I used to be involved with some musicians/bands who were anything but Christian in message ,values, lifestyles, but as they grow older- It seems many become particularly devout Christians, because they learn, see first hand what temptation, sin in many forms can do to people's lives.

there is more joy in heaven over one lost sinner who repents.... (Luke 15:7)

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

There is a lot of positive music that is not overtly religious.

Yoshua

What does the Devil have to deceive and lie about?
This incident reveals one of the methods of Satan-by immediate suggestion as in the case of Judas (Luke 22:3; John 13:2,27). Sometimes, however, and, perhaps, most frequently, Satan's devices (2 Cor 2:11) include human agents. Those who are given over to evil and who persuade others to evil are children and servants of Satan (See Matt 16:23; Mark 8:33; Luke 4:8; John 6:70; 8:44; Acts 13:10; 1 John 3:8). Satan also works through persons and institutions supposed to be on the side of right but really evil. Here the same ever-present and active falseness and deceit are exhibited. When he is called "the god of this world" (2 Cor 4:4) it would seem to be intimated that he has the power to clothe himself in apparently divine attributes. He also makes himself an angel of light by presenting advocates of falsehood in the guise of apostles of truth (2 Cor 11:13,15; 1 John 4:1; 2 Thess 2:9; Rev 12:9; 19:20). In the combination of passages here brought together, it is clearly indicated that Satan is the instigator and fomenter of that spirit of lawlessness which exhibits itself as hatred both of truth and right, and which has operated so widely and so disastrously in human life.

(from International Standard Bible Encyclopaedia, Electronic Database Copyright © 1996, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)

Thanks

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Of course its not wrong, my church end up making me feel guilty listening to my music, such as the Beatles, then I woke up, and now I totally love my music, if god doesn't like the Beatles then that's too bad, after all John Lennon did say that they were bigger than Jesus, yea yea.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
it is clearly indicated that Satan is the instigator and fomenter of that spirit of lawlessness which exhibits itself as hatred both of truth and right, and which has operated so widely and so disastrously in human life.
That is interesting. God killed a ton of people. He is even described, in the Bible, as "angry and jealous." He is very vengeful, full of wrath, and committed or ordered, on multiple occasions, what we call genocide. And his book got many facts wrong. Could it not be said that your god is the enemy of truth? After all, it was the Church of your god who punished Galileo for discovering the truth of our solar system, and that is that the Sun, not the Earth, is the center of it. Darwin discovered the concept of Natural Selection, and it was the repercussions of your god's Church that made him hesitate in publishing his findings.
The laws of Satanism, however, mandate that no children be harmed (rather than "spare the rod, spoil the child"), no animal be given undo harm (which is more aligned with nature than humans as being above nature), and no rape victim would ever be required to marry their rapist. Christianity orders people to go around telling others to live as they do, Satan allows for tolerance and acceptance of humans as we are. There is no room or place for stoning adulterers, executing homosexuals, or burning witches under Satanism.
With Satan, we do not live under the rule of "my way or the highway" that your god commands. And he won't order those who don't want him to rule over them to be slain (he doesn't want to rule over us anyways).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of course its not wrong, my church end up making me feel guilty listening to my music, such as the Beatles, then I woke up, and now I totally love my music, if god doesn't like the Beatles then that's too bad, after all John Lennon did say that they were bigger than Jesus, yea yea.
That's kind of how my experience was - being told all this wonderful music is evil and bad, and then I left the church, and started to love music. I even noticed it's not nearly as bad as what the church had lead me to believe it is. I knew of classic rock from my parents, and Christian music from the church, and I was lead to believe that just about everything else was something like Behemoth or Dimmu Borgir.
It's an embarrassing fact of my life, but there was once a time, all the way up to high school, when I couldn't even identify something like Stairway to Heaven just by hearing the first few notes being played (the devil was in that song, after all:facepalm:). Today I can play "what song/artist is this" with the best (as long as it's rock and metal - with rap I'm lost if it's not old school rap, and I can identify a few country artists and songs).