1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Wrong For MacDonalds To Advertise Happy Meals

Discussion in 'Consumer Affairs' started by The Neo Nerd, Dec 16, 2010.

1. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Post-Anarchism Austin, TX
    If you are really curious, here is some info.

International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity | Full text | Food Advertising and Marketing Directed at Children and Adolescents in the US

2. Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf Crazy Diamond

Ratings:
    +18,462
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    In the end though, ultimately, no one other than the parents are responsible. If a child has McDonalds one day, and wants again the next, it is the parents duty and responsibility to first tell the child no, and then explain why. The parents are supposed to run the show, not the children. It's that simple.
    Yes, I am going to let my kids eat Happy Meals on occasion, and if there is a toy that they really want then why not let them have lunch at McDonalds on occasion? After all, McDonalds has smaller portions compared to competitors which technically does make them that much better of a choice, and once in awhile will not hurt the child. It's these parents who don't say no and do not encourage or educate their children about healthy choices that is the problem. Rather than McDonalds, encourage your kids to pick a better option like Subway on the run, and even then you still have to educate them about 6-inch versus foot long, condiments, and so on.

3. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    No... anything that is involved is responsible. I am not suggesting parents are not responsible.

No arguments here.

When did I get anywhere even close to insinuating that children were suppose to run anything?

I'm not referring to just McDonald's. I'd prefer regulation on any company trying to advertise towards children.

4. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,462
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    Just my response to the article you posted that was blaming advertisement. If the author doesn't like the advertisements, then turn of the damn TV.

5. darkendless

darkendless Guardian of Asgaard

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Parents pay, thus its is their responsibility and their decision.

Here in Oz McDonalds market a particular movie their happy meals toys are based on. If parents don't want their kids eating rusbbish, get them healthy food.

By this reasoning they shouldn't be allowed to market anything really because of the negative affects it MIGHT have.

I agree with Shadow Wolf. If there is a concern its not the companies fault they want to make money. If people don't like it, use authority over their children and get them healthy food, its not hard.

6. Songbird

Songbird She rules her life like a bird in flight

Ratings:
    +558
    Whatever. I'm suing McDonalds, advertisement producers, and obese children. And television manufacturers, for good measure.

7. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,462
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
  8. ninerbuff

ninerbuff godless wonder

Ratings:
    +100
    Cereal companies, pop tarts, crush cups, etc. all advertise also. Parents who are too "weak" to say no to a child screaming for Mcdonald's toys (you can just purchase the toy without the meal) shouldn't be parents. Lol, what's funny is that when you see they kid getting a toy, the parent is getting a quarter pounder with cheese at the same time. Nice way to blame their overweight kid, as well as themselves, to McDonalds' Happy meals.

9. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    You might want to reread that article. Especially it had nothing to do with children making decisions for parents.

#109 dust1n, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  10. dallas1125

dallas1125 Covert Operative

Ratings:
    +25
    Would you rather have parents be able to refuse their childrens requests without government intervention?

I wouls go with having the market unregulated. If our only answer is to have the government do it for us, thats a problem. We need to take action and deal with it.

Kids have always nagged parents for things throughout history. Whether it was for a happy meal or to go do whatever, it has always existed. If you are a parent and you cannot say no to your child, how are you going to be able to raise them? If my parents said yes to everything I have ever wanted to do, I would be in jail.

11. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    :facepalm: I had a feeling the article wouldn't be read. I am perfecting aware the 'responsibility' and 'decision-making' that takes place for the parents. Again, I'm not referring to McDonald's or how healthy their food is. I don't care if the advertisement is ******* Flintstone's vitamins. My reasoning does not suggest that nothing can be marketed, so no need to make my arguments for me. My problem is with companies who MARKET TOWARDS CHILDREN. It is also not just a television ad. You discount schools and their advertising, etc. There is a concern and it may not be the companies fault (despite spending billions of dollars in capital to do just that), but not addressing the issue is no actual solution for the original concern.

12. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    As opposed to...? Limiting advertising reach is not going to prevent anyone from being able to refuse their children's request. And the 'government intervention' has nothing to do with how one raises a child.

So, cigarette ads back television, billboards, and schools then, right?

I have a feeling you have nagged your parents into buying you something before in your life.

And damnit.. we have the same siggy! Now I have to find a new one. =[

13. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    If corporations weren't considered legal people, they wouldn't be able to get sued. I'm totally with you for fixing the problem.

14. Shadow Wolf

Ratings:
    +18,462
    Religion:
    God is in the Rain
    The authors do acknowledge multiple factors, but ultimately it is parental guidance that trumps all. Such as turning off the TV, saying no, education, and so on.

#114 Shadow Wolf, Jan 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  15. dust1n

dust1n Zindīq

Ratings:
    +4,740
    Religion:
    Again... where do they blame marketing? They first line is:

"While multiple factors influence eating behaviors and food choices of youth, one potent force is food advertising."

Are you arguing that this is untrue? Because the article certainly isn't arguing that 'parental guidance' isn't the main key.

16. dallas1125

dallas1125 Covert Operative

Ratings:
    +25
    The government is intervening so a parent doesnt have to say no.

Interesting. I would say fine to all of those but schools. No one should be allowed to advertise in schools.

Maybe, but it hardly ever worked. It usually ended up with me getting spanked.

[qoute]And damnit.. we have the same siggy! Now I have to find a new one.[/quote]
    What? Wow, lol. I like the one you have now, is that the new one?

17. blackout

blackout Violet.

Ratings:
    +2,520
    My kids' school gives out free happy meal coupons
    when they complete a reading chart each month.

Or you can get a pizza slice and a soda.

Guess which one they always want, and why. :yes:

18. Primordial Annihilator

Primordial Annihilator Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Food as an incentive?

How primitive...

hehe

#118 Primordial Annihilator, Jan 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  19. Kathryn

Kathryn Most Spoiled Woman Ever

Ratings:
    +1,690
    Hey, I've got a novel idea - parents could restrict any television programming that has commercials till the kids are older.

GASP!

20. T-Dawg

T-Dawg Self-appointed Lunatic

Ratings:
    +187
    Why does everyone want parents to do the government's job? All parents can do is say no and discipline the child - government can actually fix the problem by changing what's on the television.