• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Wrong For MacDonalds To Advertise Happy Meals

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Maybe if our government officials would smoke more weed and eat less fast food, we'd all be happier and healthier.
It may be the government is filled with closet tokers who smoke up, and use McDonalds to satisfy their munchies. Such PSAs and laws may stem from the guilt they have for doing both.
The sad thing is as crazy as our elected officials are, it wouldn't surprise me if that has been the case with some of our them.

The Bright Beast

*Insert Witty Title Here*
Apparently it's ok if they waste our money on a PSA telling people about just how "horrible" pot is, but making a PSA to encourage parents to say "no" to a happy meal and urging them to learn just the basics about nutrition is just out of the question.

That's probably because they can tax happy meals/fast food, and you can't really tax the illegal drug dealers... just imagine it.. the collectors would probably get shot..

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
MY GOSH - JUST SAY NO TO HAPPY MEALS. Does this require some sort of government intervention????

OF COURSE IT DOES. Do you honestly expect these sorts of people to raise their children themselves???? They won't say "NO" until we force them to.

You and I both know that the mother mentioned in the OP is incompetent. We can't let someone like that raise children.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Forced sterilization seems in order.

Indeed, but many of them have already had children. We need to not only sterilize them, but care for the children they've already produced before we got there.

(Wait, were you being sarcastic? Because eugenics based on intelligence and maturity was actually one of my ideas...)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Indeed, but many of them have already had children. We need to not only sterilize them, but care for the children they've already produced before we got there.
Neuter the kids too!

(Wait, were you being sarcastic? Because eugenics based on intelligence and maturity was actually one of my ideas...)[/quote]
Sarcastic...me?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I suppose so. But how could we possibly justify this human-rights wise? Nothing whips up emotion like starving children...
Human rights? I thought we were dispensing with those, since we were talking about
forced sterilization & government confiscation of children. The inferior have no rights.

T-Dawg

Self-appointed Lunatic
Human rights? I thought we were dispensing with those, since we were talking about
forced sterilization & government confiscation of children. The inferior have no rights.

We're doing that for the protection of the children. However, if we're not to take care of the children after we confiscate them, we can't say that we're doing it for the protection of the children anymore. We need the "think about the children!" line to prevent everyone from realizing I'm a raving lunatic... I need to last a whole 42 months, you know :yes:.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
and you can't really tax the illegal drug dealers... just imagine it.. the collectors would probably get shot..
Out of the many dealers I have met, only one of them (who I didn't talk to after the first time I met him) would do such a thing. Now it should be noted I do not live in a big city were dealers often deal more than just pot and pills for some extra cash and there really is no need for such measures.

dust1n

Zindīq
If they are nagging repeatedly, punish them. Worked on me and my 5 siblings. Works for my aunts and uncles.

:facepalm: How many times do I have to ask the question? Would you rather a.) Have some sort of regulation on what can be marketed to kids, thus prohibit any nagging caused by such marketing or b.) Have that marketing unregulated, and the nations kids subject to billions of dollars worth of psychologist money, and that the off chance that YOUR kids might be subject to them (make sure to note that schools are great places to advertise to kids who must attend) and start nagging at your kid, forcing you to have to discipline your child (which I always imagined as a not fun situation, certainly wasn't for me as a child) and deal with nagging? Explain.

Yes it is a new issue.

Im failing to see your point.

It was like this all the time: "If parents are not ready to do what it takes to raise children, then they are not ready to be parents."

So what does the TV commercials have to do with it?

I fail to see how wanting some regulation on what can be target towards children (because, you know... there are bad parents who will let their kids be exploited) equates to that they are not ready to 'do what it takes' or 'to be parents'. My point is, many parents are not aware of what targeted marketing or television can do to children, sometimes because their parents themselves did not know. Being a parent took place ten thousand years ago and parenting is based off hundreds and thousands of years of evolution; how is not being ready to constantly battled your kid's seduced mind nagging for consumer products equate to not being able to do what it takes to raise kids?

dust1n

Zindīq
MY GOSH - JUST SAY NO TO HAPPY MEALS. Does this require some sort of government intervention????

JUST DON'T ADVERTISE TO CHILDREN UNDER 12 YEARS OLD. Does this require some sort of government intervention?

That should have been your question since that is all this issue pertains to, and I think the answer is yes.

dust1n

Zindīq
Apparently it's ok if they waste our money on a PSA telling people about just how "horrible" pot is, but making a PSA to encourage parents to say "no" to a happy meal and urging them to learn just the basics about nutrition is just out of the question.

I found a study a while back where kids who saw PSA announcements against marijuana were more likely to start smoking marijuana.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I found a study a while back where kids who saw PSA announcements against marijuana were more likely to start smoking marijuana.
Doesn't surprise me. Kids need to look no further than Cheech and Chong, Poly Shore, Dave Chapelle, and many other movie stars and rock stars to piece together that what these PSAs tell them are lies.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
JUST DON'T ADVERTISE TO CHILDREN UNDER 12 YEARS OLD. Does this require some sort of government intervention?

That should have been your question since that is all this issue pertains to, and I think the answer is yes.

Why not advertise? If parents don't want their kids to have it they should explain why. McDonalds in moderation eg. once every 2 weeks isn't harmful in conjunction with excercise. I had it once a week as a child and i never got fat or close to it.

Why restrict businesses because some people are idiots and have no self control when it comes to food?