• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it wrong for a Muslim to perform at a Christmas celebration?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h8bFseZaMZ4

Live musical shows are one of the most popular holy day traditions in Bosnia and Herzegovina and, like everything else, they tend to be fairly mixed. You'll have Muslims singing their hits (as in the clip above) - or even singing along with Christian songs - during Christmas television specials, and the same in reverse during Ramadan.

Is it a good or a bad thing, and why?​

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
(I have to mention, beginning at 1:52 in that clip, is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. The leather-clad brunette clinging to Selma lets go and then fights off some horny old man who runs to try to grab her... hahaha... some of our women may be s**** but we still look out for them, lol. The brunette, and the guy on left side of the clip (her man, Enes Begovic) are both Muslims so it's especially funny)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Djamila said:
(I have to mention, beginning at 1:52 in that clip, is one of the funniest things I've ever seen on television. The leather-clad brunette clinging to Selma lets go and then fights off some horny old man who runs to try to grab her... hahaha... some of our women may be s**** but we still look out for them, lol)

I would have thought that you are best placed to answer that question; what does Islam have to say on the subject?

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
michel said:
I would have thought that you are best placed to answer that question; what does Islam have to say on the subject?

Well, I think Islam would be more concerned with other aspects of that performance... lol But I'm curious about what Christians think especially.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Reverend Rick said:
I believe the more Muslims and Christians get together and discus their similarities rather than differences the better off everyone will be.

I agree. As far as the OP is concerned, I don't honestly know the Christian perspective. But, if I was to judge by my heart, I think that "performances" (singing and dancing ) bring joy to those who watch (hopefully). I cannot see God frowning on that which makes people happy (that doesn't involve others being hurt).

Of course, being a singer myself, I "perform" at Christmas by singing Carols - which I love - I look forward to Christmas (to some extent for that).

Draka

Wonder Woman
Djamila said:
Well, I think Islam would be more concerned with other aspects of that performance... lol But I'm curious about what Christians think especially.

Like perhaps the fact that you can see through her dress? :eek:

I'm not Christian, but I don't see any problem with anyone of any religion performing for any religious celebration as long as it is done respectfully.

madcap

Eternal Optimist
What about the reverse? How do Muslims feel about Christians singing their songs? Do you find it at all disrespectful (ie., "They're singing it, but they don't believe it.")? There are a few high profile Jewish singers in the United States who have released Christmas albums (Barbra Streisand, Neil Diamond...), and while I don't think most people are offended, it does seem like a blatant cash grab. Then again, that's no different from any other artist releasing a Christmas album, I suppose.

People participate in the traditions of other cultures and religions all the time. A fundamentalist Christian or Jew might take issue, given that whole thing in the Bible about worshipping other gods, but I think that's a minority. I'm sure there's a line somewhere that mainline religions wouldn't want you (as a member) to cross, but ultimately I don't think it's any of their business as I believe religion is a personal thing.

BruceDLimber

Reverend Rick said:
I believe the more Muslims and Christians get together and discus their similarities rather than differences the better off everyone will be.

PRECISELY!!

Well put, Rick! :)

Bruce

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
madcap said:
What about the reverse? How do Muslims feel about Christians singing their songs? Do you find it at all disrespectful (ie., "They're singing it, but they don't believe it.")?

I never actually though about my own opinion. Well, watching examples I suppose I tend to make jokes in my mind.

1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dTOyCQQ7UU

The blonde is Muslim, the brunette is Orthodox Christian - the song is a Bosnian Muslim folk song.

Watching it I just kind of think like... "Oh, my ears... she can't sing Muslim style at all...oh my God, Hanka [the blonde] looks so annoyed..." etc. :D

kateyes

I don't think most Christians would care--Like Rev Rick--I tend to think ANYTHING that brings people of different religions or ethnic backgrounds to a common ground-seems like a good idea.

Djamila

Bosnjakinja
*Paul* said:
Christians join in with Ramadan songs??

Yes. There's even an interfaith choir in Sarajevo that professionally performs the songs of all three of Bosnia's major faiths.

Parma

:angel2: I believe in faith the value of one god who is the same to all and that religion is man made not made by men of faith. please question my theories and please try to understand my views as i will urs. I am into Keeping a open mind and if someone correspondes with a better view then I must accept it as the truth. So please reply bk:cool: :slap: )(

PureX

Veteran Member
Djamila said:
I would appreciate that someone of another faith wants to share in my joy. I wouldn't be the least bit offended, in fact, I'd feel honored.

Parma

C to me prophets men of god spiritual beings guru, were all here to teach the world on how to exsist and instead people have turned these therios into religion. Think about it. They all say theres only 1 god. theres only perfect being which is god. that makes everything else in-perfect. and produces the fact that if the are not perfect meaning god then they are open to mistakes. if we look deep at god and world views and religion they all rely on one theory. Which is that with every descision u make. Make it with these things in mind ur morals, dignity and integrity. So if someone asks me wat religion i am I would have to say I am every faith call me a muslim christian hindu sikh buddihst wateva so lonf as they follow them rules. infact to conform god to a 1 single religion could be looked as an insult as god is to great to be boxed into one form or one theory. Please debate !!!!!

Parma

C to me prophets men of god spiritual beings guru, were all here to teach the world on how to exsist and instead people have turned these therios into religion. Think about it. They all say theres only 1 god. theres only perfect being which is god. that makes everything else in-perfect. and produces the fact that if the are not perfect meaning god then they are open to mistakes. if we look deep at god and world views and religion they all rely on one theory. Which is that with every descision u make. Make it with these things in mind ur morals, dignity and integrity. So if someone asks me wat religion i am I would have to say I am every faith call me a muslim christian hindu sikh buddihst wateva so lonf as they follow them rules. infact to conform god to a 1 single religion could be looked as an insult as god is to great to be boxed into one form or one theory. Please debate !!!!!

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Djamila said:
Yes. There's even an interfaith choir in Sarajevo that professionally performs the songs of all three of Bosnia's major faiths.

I suppose similar things happen here too now I think about it. We have a program called songs of praise which occasionaly shows such things.

Parma

I dont deny that the beliefs of moses are right, maybe they are. but not to be open minded makes u think the wrong way. no 1 is born learned not even moses or jesus as they learnd through life and later on in life on how to live it. Even jesus was tempted. nothing is certain but god before all at end. there is no path only a journey to peace of mind you cannot find peace of mind by being forced wether that is through christianity islam or any faith as faith is open to all open minded. so to close it on the fact there is only 1 way to god is the same as saying there is no way. as lemon will tast bitter to you and to me the only difference is the taster. Taste true god he has no differences in any of his childern they fruit tastes the same to all

dogsgod

Djamila said:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=h8bFseZaMZ4

Live musical shows are one of the most popular holy day traditions in Bosnia and Herzegovina and, like everything else, they tend to be fairly mixed. You'll have Muslims singing their hits (as in the clip above) - or even singing along with Christian songs - during Christmas television specials, and the same in reverse during Ramadan.

Is it a good or a bad thing, and why?​

The mere asking of this question makes me question the validity of religion. The mere thought that religion should come between people is reason enough to abandon it.