• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time to finally ditch our smartphones?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Has this as a facility or does it as a matter of course?

The face-analysing algorithms are - as far as I know - not on your phone, but on the web-sites and apps you use. The new phones are compatible with their function.

Basically, browse the Internet or use an app, and they’ve gotcha.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm similar, in having a flip-phone and which is enough for me at the moment, but my issues with smart phones are mostly that I will be paying for something that I will not use so much, and where I much prefer a laptop for internet use. I think I would just get too frustrated looking at such a small screen and coping with how things are presented on such.

As to the intrusiveness, well I seem to manage my laptop without being too bothered by advertising, tracking, spamming, and such, mostly perhaps because I don't use social media, but also because I use enough software to control what they do, and I suspect such is available for smartphones too. But mainly I suppose it is down to what presence one has in cyber-space, and if one must be totally involved in such (social media being the obvious) then one might have to accept some level of intrusiveness.

I don't use social media either, and I don't feel too intruded upon, either.

Should I feel too bothered by anything, the answer is simple. Close laptop, set aside.