• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time to finally ditch our smartphones?

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Algorithms control what we see.

Our phones listen to us and, in case we’ve taken a small stand and stopped commenting or hitting the like-button, the most advanced algorithms now see us and interpret our facial expressions as we browse the net, in order to assess whether we like what we come across or not.

And I wonder...
Is it time to ditch these gadgets that monitor us so? Anyone else feeling that, when it comes to being supervised, we may have reached our limit of consent...?

And could we function without smartphones again?

Please share your ideas, feelings and potential solutions.

Humbly
Hermit

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Coming from the most surveilled country in the world (uk) sticking a piece of tape across the camera lens is nothing

No need to actively start trying to boycott them then...? in hope that they may fear sales-drops and um... change something...?

How about taxing them for data-collection...?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Our phones listen to us and, in case we’ve taken a small stand and stopped commenting or hitting the like-button, the most advanced algorithms now see us and interpret our facial expressions as we browse the net, in order to assess whether we like what we come across or not.

And I wonder...
Is it time to ditch these gadgets that monitor us so? Anyone else feeling that, when it comes to being supervised, we may have reached our limit of consent...?

Humbly
Hermit
I think its only going to get worse as technology exerts more and more control over people.

Pretty soon the planet could be regarded as a guilded prison style world where everything is closely monitored and tracked, and private information wantonly funneled through electronic pipelines without a persons individual consent or choice with no say in the matter.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No need to actively start trying to boycott them then...? in hope that they may fear sales-drops and um... change something...?

I prefer to sue for infringement and claim royalties for using my private information for gain. Just like music and film industries do themselves when they go after people.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

And I wonder...

Humbly
Hermit
Flip phones are good. I still will miss having a pocket computer. I wouldn't mind having the phone logic and controls separated from the computer.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

My view. If i want the convenience of a phone, camera, internet on the move then i simply turn off notifications and make do with the targeted advertising. Other than it is sometimes a small inconvenience its not a problem. I dont bother with it, it doesnt influence me to by the mega whatever from some company ive never heard of any way.

Gargovic Malkav

And I wonder...

Humbly
Hermit

This kind of talk always makes me think of "We want your soul" by Adam Freeland.

I'm reluctant to embrace new gadgets because I'm usually content with what we've got.
And all this plucking for information all the time makes me feel a bit annoyed and oppressed too. Not to mention what kind of effect this could have in the long run.
This is one of the reasons why I don't use technological advancements as a standard to measure how well-off an individual or society is.

Oh well, anything that happens, is meant to happen. Sometimes things have to get real bad first before people realize or remember which things are really good.
I pray that things won't be made too hard for us.

exchemist

Veteran Member

And I wonder...

Humbly
Hermit
I have dodged the problem, a bit, by continuing to use a generation 3 iPhone (now almost 10 years old), whose internet functionality is extremely clunky and limited. I have the locator function turned off. Almost all my internet use is via my laptop. Four discussion forums are the only social media I subscribe to: no Twatter, Faecebook etc.

Possibly naively, I like to think this approach limits my IT footprint and deprives Big Brother of too much information about me. But I find the iPhone useful for text, checking mail and making sure I can keep my calendar up to date wherever I am, so I would not want to dump it.

PureX

Veteran Member

And I wonder...
It's time to 'ditch' the corrupt legislators that allow this kind of intrusive commercial spying.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I have a 'dumb phone'. Its a flip phone, and is poorly made. I'm assuming to be marketed to the elderly who just won't switch. I assume their appearance on the market is limited. When that's it, and all there is is smartphones, you may contact me by carrier pigeon.

I don't want one. I don't want a computer in my pocket. I don't want to be that connected. I don't want to have to fight the allure of the distraction, or fail to fight it, and alienate my friends and family in the same manner they've done to me with those stinking devices.

I don't have much say over the events that unfold in my life, but I do have control over the machines that I choose to use on a daily basis.

High tech for me was when, after making pavlova for the first time, I broke down and bought an electric hand mixer. Thrilling!

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

And I wonder...

Humbly
Hermit

As long as I'm indifferent about it and I'm not doing anything illegal, it doesn't bother me until it needs to.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have a 'dumb phone'. Its a flip phone, and is poorly made. I'm assuming to be marketed to the elderly who just won't switch. I assume their appearance on the market is limited. When that's it, and all there is is smartphones, you may contact me by carrier pigeon.

I don't want one. I don't want a computer in my pocket. I don't want to be that connected. I don't want to have to fight the allure of the distraction, or fail to fight it, and alienate my friends and family in the same manner they've done to me with those stinking devices.

I don't have much say over the events that unfold in my life, but I do have control over the machines that I choose to use on a daily basis.

High tech for me was when, after making pavlova for the first time, I broke down and bought an electric hand mixer. Thrilling!
I'm similar, in having a flip-phone and which is enough for me at the moment, but my issues with smart phones are mostly that I will be paying for something that I will not use so much, and where I much prefer a laptop for internet use. I think I would just get too frustrated looking at such a small screen and coping with how things are presented on such.

As to the intrusiveness, well I seem to manage my laptop without being too bothered by advertising, tracking, spamming, and such, mostly perhaps because I don't use social media, but also because I use enough software to control what they do, and I suspect such is available for smartphones too. But mainly I suppose it is down to what presence one has in cyber-space, and if one must be totally involved in such (social media being the obvious) then one might have to accept some level of intrusiveness.