• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it time for America to forge a new foreign policy?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
@Stevicus considering the two opening posts, I want to mention something I often bring up. WWII made many, many US citizens believe that Satan was real, was actively involved in world politics. You seem not to notice, but this has had and still has a major impact on US politics. A lot of us believe Satan is behind pro-choice, that Satan is behind ERA, that Satan is behind communism. The confluence of Nazism and the massacres of the communists has greatly strengthened this belief. This is significant, not insignificant. I don't think you can afford to leave it out of your summary of the situation. Many of us believe evil exists, that it is out there trying to destroy good, not just philosophically but actively.

So, are you suggesting that US foreign policy is some kind of holy crusade and a mission from God? Well, I have noticed those among my fellow Americans who believe such things, although how many of them actually believe that today? How do they define "evil"? How do they know what is "evil"?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Your argument is against the
projection of American power,
entirely one sided.
I am not speaking from a Chinese pov
to make that obvious observation.

I wasn't sure.

My argument was not entirely against the projection of American power, but to acknowledge that there are limits as to what we can do. It largely depends on what America actually wants to do in the world and what kind of foreign policy would be best to achieve that goal. That's what I was asking in my OP. I wasn't necessarily asking for a critique of my ideas (although it's always welcome) but more of what others might have thought.

What do Americans actually want to do? How do we consider our role in the world? Is it even beneficial for America? Is there anything tangible that the American people can gain out of this?

If we want to maintain our role as Captain America and the world's policeman, then we'd be better off shoring up our own defenses and working on our own economic situation in order to have the resources, national unity, and public support to maintain such a policy. Our leadership has crippled America's economy and diminished our ability to project our power over the past 40 years. So if that's what our leaders want to do, then they've been doing a lousy job of it. Now, we're at the point where it's all we can do just to avoid domestic terrorism and the threat of internal insurrection.

I absolutely did not say Amrrican
intervention was an atrocity.
All wars involve atrocities.
I know about what happened in Samar.
I know someone whose grandfather was
bayonetted by Japanese in Leyte. Talk of
children skewered in the air.
My family was in HK when the Japanese
arrived. I won't speak of that.
Americans are angels by comparison.

Well, it was still an atrocity, even if the Japanese were worse. One doesn't really excuse the other.

But that aside, the other question is whether any of this served any genuine long-term national interests for America.

You said that if the US had no occupied the Philippines, it would have been a geopolitical mistake, but for whom? For the Philippines? For China? For Japan? Certainly not the U.S. We had no obligations to the Philippines prior to the Spanish-American War, and there was certainly no threat coming from Asia anytime soon (not in 1898).

Philippines is a hundred languages, a
thousand islands, had very little organization
and agricultural tools for weapons.

Okay, but what are you really saying here? Are you suggesting that America had some kind of moral obligation to occupy the Philippines?

Japan had begun their imperialist
expansion. Leaving the PI ripe
and unplucked? An insult to
Japanese intelligence.

Would the Japanese have seen it that way? Would the British, Dutch, or French stand by and allow the Philippines to be taken by the Japanese? They apparently had no problem with us taking it.

Proceed to argue they should have
been unhindered, to America's advantage
and the rest of east Asia.

Argue that who should have been unhindered? The Japanese? Reminder: Both the US and Japan were lesser powers at that time. Sure, we were up and coming and on the verge of becoming a great power, but we were still only "junior" compared to bigshots like Britain. Japan was not our enemy yet, and they were our allies in the Boxer Rebellion and World War I. As long as Japan played ball and didn't tread on other nations' colonies, the other major powers ostensibly tolerated their imperialist expansion. The only real exception was Russia, but that's mainly because Tsar Nicholas was a doofus and allowed himself to be goaded into war by his German cousin, Kaiser Wilhelm.

Now, personally, I find the Americans a
bit much sometimes but I want them as
the reigning superpower.

A lot of Americans want the same thing, although perhaps for different reasons. But the reality is, the rest of the world modernized and grew up, while America has largely stagnated. We're not the America we used to be 70 years ago. In many ways, we've changed for the better, but in other ways, we've changed for the worse.

Also, there are many Americans who see no real tangible benefit from any of this. Our government and media paint it as some kind of noble crusade, to bring freedom to other countries and make the world safe for democracy. Our government would have us believe that it's done purely out of the goodness of America's heart, with absolutely no thought of reward or benefit for ourselves. If there was any actual benefit, they couldn't announce it to the people, so the people have to guess and theorize as to what the possible real reasons might be.

One thing most Americans are certain about: They haven't seen any share of America's spoils from war in a very, very long time. The dividend we got from WW2 ran out in the early 70s, and we've been running on fumes ever since.

Audie

Veteran Member
I wasn't sure.

My argument was not entirely against the projection of American power, but to acknowledge that there are limits as to what we can do. It largely depends on what America actually wants to do in the world and what kind of foreign policy would be best to achieve that goal. That's what I was asking in my OP. I wasn't necessarily asking for a critique of my ideas (although it's always welcome) but more of what others might have thought.

What do Americans actually want to do? How do we consider our role in the world? Is it even beneficial for America? Is there anything tangible that the American people can gain out of this?

If we want to maintain our role as Captain America and the world's policeman, then we'd be better off shoring up our own defenses and working on our own economic situation in order to have the resources, national unity, and public support to maintain such a policy. Our leadership has crippled America's economy and diminished our ability to project our power over the past 40 years. So if that's what our leaders want to do, then they've been doing a lousy job of it. Now, we're at the point where it's all we can do just to avoid domestic terrorism and the threat of internal insurrection.

Well, it was still an atrocity, even if the Japanese were worse. One doesn't really excuse the other.

But that aside, the other question is whether any of this served any genuine long-term national interests for America.

You said that if the US had no occupied the Philippines, it would have been a geopolitical mistake, but for whom? For the Philippines? For China? For Japan? Certainly not the U.S. We had no obligations to the Philippines prior to the Spanish-American War, and there was certainly no threat coming from Asia anytime soon (not in 1898).

Okay, but what are you really saying here? Are you suggesting that America had some kind of moral obligation to occupy the Philippines?

Would the Japanese have seen it that way? Would the British, Dutch, or French stand by and allow the Philippines to be taken by the Japanese? They apparently had no problem with us taking it.

Argue that who should have been unhindered? The Japanese? Reminder: Both the US and Japan were lesser powers at that time. Sure, we were up and coming and on the verge of becoming a great power, but we were still only "junior" compared to bigshots like Britain. Japan was not our enemy yet, and they were our allies in the Boxer Rebellion and World War I. As long as Japan played ball and didn't tread on other nations' colonies, the other major powers ostensibly tolerated their imperialist expansion. The only real exception was Russia, but that's mainly because Tsar Nicholas was a doofus and allowed himself to be goaded into war by his German cousin, Kaiser Wilhelm.

A lot of Americans want the same thing, although perhaps for different reasons. But the reality is, the rest of the world modernized and grew up, while America has largely stagnated. We're not the America we used to be 70 years ago. In many ways, we've changed for the better, but in other ways, we've changed for the worse.

Also, there are many Americans who see no real tangible benefit from any of this. Our government and media paint it as some kind of noble crusade, to bring freedom to other countries and make the world safe for democracy. Our government would have us believe that it's done purely out of the goodness of America's heart, with absolutely no thought of reward or benefit for ourselves. If there was any actual benefit, they couldn't announce it to the people, so the people have to guess and theorize as to what the possible real reasons might be.

One thing most Americans are certain about: They haven't seen any share of America's spoils from war in a very, very long time. The dividend we got from WW2 ran out in the early 70s, and we've been running on fumes ever since.
Too many topics
Plus you wrong

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So, are you suggesting that US foreign policy is some kind of holy crusade and a mission from God? Well, I have noticed those among my fellow Americans who believe such things, although how many of them actually believe that today? How do they define "evil"? How do they know what is "evil"?
I don't know all of the answers to your questions. What I can say is that WWII and its associated propaganda has been a heavy trip. The fact that Nazis embraced euthanasia and that communists attempted to drive religion out of various countries automatically associated them with Satan. Many modern prophecy books attempt to explain world events in terms of Satan's (as a being not in the general sense) last ditch struggle before the return of Jesus. They do this with great flair, weaving world events and arcane imagery from Revelation together. They go to lengths to demonstrate that the Bible has predicted things such as WWII. You shouldn't underestimate how influential all of this has been. Even putting that (Soteriology) aside multiple large Christian denominations consider Satan to be an active opponent of God's will even if they aren't into protestant Soteriology. There is a Chick tract talking about communists coming to take away everyone's Bible's and showing Satan to be behind it..

The last several decades have been a cold bath in humanism and naturalism, and there has been a reaction from the ministry. You've seen bits of it in the creation science movement, but that isn't the whole picture. People perceive good vs. evil and a fight between the two. What can be viewed as point of view can also be described in other ways.

This doesn't affect diplomats generally or most senators or most officials, but it does affect the voting public. WWII did seriously mess with the US public. We (not me but 'We' in a general sense) believe in good vs evil, because we think we experienced it in WWII and in the struggle between democracy and dictatorships which came in the communist movement. Does this mean we believe in taking over the world no, but we do believe in defending it from evil influences. That impacts foreign policy.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
better foreign policy?

first we have to wait for Biden to be declared incompetent
pending

and then see what happens when Harris steps up

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know all of the answers to your questions. What I can say is that WWII and its associated propaganda has been a heavy trip. The fact that Nazis embraced euthanasia and that communists attempted to drive religion out of various countries automatically associated them with Satan. Many modern prophecy books attempt to explain world events in terms of Satan's (as a being not in the general sense) last ditch struggle before the return of Jesus. They do this with great flair, weaving world events and arcane imagery from Revelation together. They go to lengths to demonstrate that the Bible has predicted things such as WWII. You shouldn't underestimate how influential all of this has been. Even putting that (Soteriology) aside multiple large Christian denominations consider Satan to be an active opponent of God's will even if they aren't into protestant Soteriology. There is a Chick tract talking about communists coming to take away everyone's Bible's and showing Satan to be behind it..

The last several decades have been a cold bath in humanism and naturalism, and there has been a reaction from the ministry. You've seen bits of it in the creation science movement, but that isn't the whole picture. People perceive good vs. evil and a fight between the two. What can be viewed as point of view can also be described in other ways.

This doesn't affect diplomats generally or most senators or most officials, but it does affect the voting public. WWII did seriously mess with the US public. We (not me but 'We' in a general sense) believe in good vs evil, because we think we experienced it in WWII and in the struggle between democracy and dictatorships which came in the communist movement. Does this mean we believe in taking over the world no, but we do believe in defending it from evil influences. That impacts foreign policy.

I can see what you're saying, although the same viewpoint comes through even in secular circles. Perhaps not painted in such melodramatic terms as "good vs. evil" or bringing Satan into it, but I did mention those who are ultra-patriotic and the image in popular culture of "Captain America" fighting a never ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way. (Okay, that was Superman's line, but either way, our perception of the world, as encouraged by the media and our political leaders, has been very cartoonish, with comic book superheroes and supervillains.)

I understand your point that there are those who have created the same perceptions using Biblical imagery and symbolism, and that also seems to work towards the same basic goal.

I'm not convinced that this would be a rational approach to resolving questions of foreign policy. However, assuming that God is on America's side and we have some sort of mission from God to oppose Satan's evil in the world, then don't you think that those who believe it would want America to be successful in that crusade? Don't they want America to be on the winning side? Or do they assume that it's already a given since God is already on our side? If that's the case, why should we bother to do anything at all, since we're already destined to prevail?

Regardless of whatever one proposes as our foreign policy goals and objectives, whether it's to fight Satan, to make the world safe for democracy, or possibly even try to live and coexist with our fellow humans in peace, our foreign policy needs to be constructed in such a way as to be most likely to succeed in whatever goal we set for ourselves. From what it looks like at present, our current foreign policy goal is the destruction of America, which is a suicidal course. How can we fight Satan if America self destructs?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
I can see what you're saying, although the same viewpoint comes through even in secular circles. Perhaps not painted in such melodramatic terms as "good vs. evil" or bringing Satan into it, but I did mention those who are ultra-patriotic and the image in popular culture of "Captain America" fighting a never ending battle for truth, justice, and the American way. (Okay, that was Superman's line, but either way, our perception of the world, as encouraged by the media and our political leaders, has been very cartoonish, with comic book superheroes and supervillains.)

I understand your point that there are those who have created the same perceptions using Biblical imagery and symbolism, and that also seems to work towards the same basic goal.

I'm not convinced that this would be a rational approach to resolving questions of foreign policy. However, assuming that God is on America's side and we have some sort of mission from God to oppose Satan's evil in the world, then don't you think that those who believe it would want America to be successful in that crusade? Don't they want America to be on the winning side? Or do they assume that it's already a given since God is already on our side? If that's the case, why should we bother to do anything at all, since we're already destined to prevail?

Regardless of whatever one proposes as our foreign policy goals and objectives, whether it's to fight Satan, to make the world safe for democracy, or possibly even try to live and coexist with our fellow humans in peace, our foreign policy needs to be constructed in such a way as to be most likely to succeed in whatever goal we set for ourselves. From what it looks like at present, our current foreign policy goal is the destruction of America, which is a suicidal course. How can we fight Satan if America self destructs?
My opinion is that the older generations are much more strongly affected, because they lived through or close to the time when America was fighting a scary dystopic future and immediate threat. Newer generations aren't so influenced by past wars. Many more people no longer believe that war is necessary, but in the past war was a means of finding truth, finding yourself, a rite of passage. It was considered honorable to fight and kill and conquer not just to defend. Modern wars are harder or impossible to justify as defensive wars, and Europe has ceased from making colonies. Fewer people publicly argue for culling the weak in the West..almost no one. Its a different sort of West, more unified on a global scale, less unified locally. West is no longer a direction and is in various places such that it has become a confusing term. People have changed.

...so America is a bit like a tool forged for a different situation. We were well formed to face the problem of the 1940's. Now that problem is gone, but we've been slow to recover.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My opinion is that the older generations are much more strongly affected, because they lived through or close to the time when America was fighting a scary dystopic future and immediate threat. Newer generations aren't so influenced by past wars. Many more people no longer believe that war is necessary, but in the past war was a means of finding truth, finding yourself, a rite of passage. It was considered honorable to fight and kill and conquer not just to defend. Modern wars are harder or impossible to justify as defensive wars, and Europe has ceased from making colonies. Fewer people publicly argue for culling the weak in the West..almost no one. Its a different sort of West, more unified on a global scale, less unified locally. West is no longer a direction and is in various places such that it has become a confusing term. People have changed.

...so America is a bit like a tool forged for a different situation. We were well formed to face the problem of the 1940's. Now that problem is gone, but we've been slow to recover.

Well, as you say, WW2 had a profound effect on how we look at things, but some 20 years after that, diminishing returns started to set in. More and more people stopped believing that America was some supreme guardian of freedom and justice. Many people reacted against public policy and the things our government was doing.

Also, war itself was challenged, as more people didn't think it was honorable to fight and kill. Peace, love, and non-violence were favored - and these concepts appeared more in line with the tenets of Christianity.

People wanted truth over what they saw as the lies of the establishment. They rejected concepts like Manifest Destiny. They questioned America's perceived "righteousness" and "goodness," and they questioned whether we had any right to judge or take action against other nations, considering that we were no better than anyone else. However, there were still those who believed that such a course was weak and dangerously naïve.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
The battle for world domination.
Involves power, influence and respect.
America Has never had more than one of the three at the same time.

However what the word neede more is Peace and the ability to trade freely.

This is better achieved when no one country can dominate all others.
Today there are bigger issues to contend with than wars.
There is little point in tooling up for war when the only prize is the ashes of Global Warming.

There is no reason at all why the world should not function perfectly well with more than one political system in place.
However what we see in both China and Russia is not Communism, both are now Hybrids. However both rely very much top down processes.
Both the American and Russian systems basically rely on corruption. both politically and financially. with China the problem is more with how to control and direct a people that are largely free to become entrepreneurs and oligarchs, while maintaining complete state control, and for the benefit of the people.

All three countries would be far better off sorting out their own systems, while continuing to trade freely.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, as you say, WW2 had a profound effect on how we look at things, but some 20 years after that, diminishing returns started to set in. More and more people stopped believing that America was some supreme guardian of freedom and justice. Many people reacted against public policy and the things our government was doing.

Also, war itself was challenged, as more people didn't think it was honorable to fight and kill. Peace, love, and non-violence were favored - and these concepts appeared more in line with the tenets of Christianity.

People wanted truth over what they saw as the lies of the establishment. They rejected concepts like Manifest Destiny. They questioned America's perceived "righteousness" and "goodness," and they questioned whether we had any right to judge or take action against other nations, considering that we were no better than anyone else. However, there were still those who believed that such a course was weak and dangerously naïve.
Yes, diminishing returns. This has not been uniform across the country and seems (to me) have contributed to the differences between conservatives and progressives. At the extremes some continue to worry about the red communist threats, and and at the other extreme some seem completely oblivious as if it never happened. I have heard that the love and peace movement of the 60's talked about destroying all of our weapons even as other groups talked about strengthening our military. Today I still hear "Freedom is not free" and "Give peace a chance" in my two ears. I wonder if newer generations are cognizant of this cultural struggle? Think they will be anything like the baby boomers?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

This is an interesting point. Although thinking on this, there may have been a brief window at the end of WW2 when America had all three: Power, influence, and respect. I think that we might have squandered it due to a national obsession over communism. Russia and China were our allies in WW2, and there's no practical reason we could not have continued to have a friendly and cooperative relationship.

Our reasons for starting the Cold War were purely ideological and emotional, driven mostly by the irrational belief that the Russians and/or the Chinese were plotting to take over the world - like some kind of evil mad scientist. Our perceptions of those countries were comic-book caricatures. With our leaders going off like paranoid nutcases bellowing about some imaginary "communist conspiracy," it doesn't seem conducive to gaining influence and respect in the world.

I can see this, although it depends on what "trade freely" actually means. Nothing ever literally means what the words might imply. A lot of global capitalists talk about "free trade," but all they really mean is among the few elite. It never really trickles down to the masses. The same people who zealously advocated "free trade" with Mexico are the same people who want to build walls at the border and restrict people's travel between countries. The term "free trade" implies that business wants to have a free hand to do whatever it wants on an international scale, but they also simultaneously want to keep rigid control over the people.

Could members of the United Auto Workers travel to China and recruit workers from automobile plants to join their union and demand wages equal to that of US or European auto workers? If not, why not? Shouldn't there be the ability to "trade freely"? Or does that only apply to the wealthy?

There is little point in tooling up for war when the only prize is the ashes of Global Warming.

I agree. Maybe someone should tell this to the leaders of the world, although they don't seem to be listening.

As for one country dominating all the others, perhaps the concept of "country" needs to be explored and examined more deeply.

It seems that you're advocating a kind of "class equality" among all countries, although that might require equality among individuals as well. Capitalism and nationalism share some overlap in which both advocate social Darwinism in their own particular way.

There is no reason at all why the world should not function perfectly well with more than one political system in place.

Except when you want the ability to "trade freely." That seems to be a major sticky point. If a nation or faction thinks they got a raw deal, then they will fight.

However what we see in both China and Russia is not Communism, both are now Hybrids. However both rely very much top down processes.
Both the American and Russian systems basically rely on corruption. both politically and financially. with China the problem is more with how to control and direct a people that are largely free to become entrepreneurs and oligarchs, while maintaining complete state control, and for the benefit of the people.

All three countries would be far better off sorting out their own systems, while continuing to trade freely.

I'm not sure that having different systems is really the problem here. Systems largely rely on faith, regardless of what form they take.

Historically, I can't see that there's ever been any actual basis for any real dispute with either China or Russia. We don't have a contiguous land border with either of those countries, so there's never been any land or territorial disputes. When we purchased Alaska from the Russians in 1867, they were more than happy to get rid of it - and many Americans at the time thought we had been suckered into buying a useless "icebox." (It just goes to show that the popular wisdom of any age is never really that "wise.")

America is geographically distant from both China and Russia, separated by large bodies of water, so it's highly improbable that either country could have marshaled enough force to invade and conquer the United States - nor could we have done it to them (although we did send troops to both countries in failed attempts at intervention, something that they've never really forgotten, even though most Americans have). However, it is also apparent that they have built up and improved their military forces to the point where they could very well be a physical threat to US territory. But we also all have nukes, so it would be a case of mutual suicide.

But the bottom line is, there's absolutely no possible basis or pretext for the US to go to war with either China or Russia except...other countries. Smaller, weaker countries which couldn't hope to defend against these behemoths, so they have called upon America's help. And America comes running, like some white knight out to save a damsel in distress. Indeed, this view has been the cornerstone of US foreign policy since World War II.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, diminishing returns. This has not been uniform across the country and seems (to me) have contributed to the differences between conservatives and progressives. At the extremes some continue to worry about the red communist threats, and and at the other extreme some seem completely oblivious as if it never happened. I have heard that the love and peace movement of the 60's talked about destroying all of our weapons even as other groups talked about strengthening our military. Today I still hear "Freedom is not free" and "Give peace a chance" in my two ears. I wonder if newer generations are cognizant of this cultural struggle? Think they will be anything like the baby boomers?

I've heard those who, in an abstract way, believed in the same cause of peace and love, although they also held the view that the hippies and peaceniks were too naïve and sheltered that they didn't really understand the mechanisms of the world we lived in. They were thought of as too young and idealistic, and even many of the Boomers changed their views over time.

The interesting thing about it is that, regarding WW2, we look upon the "Greatest Generation" (as some call it) as being the heroes of that era. They endured the Great Depression and World War II, making sacrifices and enduring hardships, while the Boomers were viewed as the beneficiaries of all of that. But perhaps they might have been seen as "ungrateful" by their elders.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll admit that some of the direction our foreign policy has been going is somewhat troubling. Russia has recalled its ambassador to the U.S. (Russia recalls envoy after Biden remarks about Putin - BBC News), and relations with China also appear to be getting colder these days. (Troubled US-China ties face new test in Alaska meeting (apnews.com))

I've always been rather critical of US foreign policy, along with the mindsets and perceptions which lead to some of the curious things we do. It also appears to be related to the US public generally being perceived as ignorant to world geography and history, so much so that they can be easily led into supporting these policies.

We Americans may need to change our ways of looking at the world, as well as the way we look at ourselves. We think of ourselves as the good guys, the "white knights" going around and saving the world from itself. In contrast, our media and political leadership present an image of the outside world as if to make it appear as some violent, horrible, scary dystopia that only America can fix and save. Many of the leaders of the world are demonized and presented as caricatures or comic book supervillains. Much of the rhetoric is so unrealistic and spread on so thick as to become unbelievable.

What do we want to do in this world anyway? When America was founded, the Founders didn't really have any grandiose visions of "making the world safe for democracy," so what happened to us? In the early days, our leaders may have been just as malignant and atrocious in the mad rush for more land and profit, but at least it was limited to our own immediate vicinity - nowhere near the status of a global empire. It was definitely an "America First" policy in the raw, and we really made no bones about it either. However, since America was still in a developing stage and significantly weaker than the great powers of Europe, we wanted to keep out of European affairs and maintain a more neutral (but mutually profitable) relationship. Meanwhile, the various European powers squabbled with each other, while we could watch from a safe distance.

For a long time, that seemed to work out well from a US point of view. But things started to change as we got bigger and still had a bit of the expansionist greed as a major motivating factor in foreign policy. We thought that Cuba was ripe for the picking, being one of the last remnants of the Spanish Empire in the Americas. (We also formally annexed Hawaii that same year, as we pushed further into the Pacific.) The relatively short Spanish-American War netted us Cuba, Puerto Rico, Guam, and the Philippines. Cuba was granted nominal "independence," although they, like many other nations in the region, would fall under the thumb of US business interests backed by the power of the US military, whenever it might have been needed. The Philippines also thought they might become independent, but that was not to be. What we did to the Philippines was not only an atrocity and a crime against humanity, but it was one of the biggest mistakes we made which would lead to a major shift in US foreign policy. Now, we had a foothold in East Asia, which put us on the playing field with other colonial powers in the same region.

For the longest time, America's foreign policy rested on the idea of "no foreign entanglements," but it also included a strong support of "freedom of the seas," as that was vital to American commerce. Some of our earliest military forays (such as the war with the Barbary Pirates, the quasi-war with France, and the War of 1812) made it very clear to the rest of the world that we didn't want anyone messing with our ships on the high seas. The Monroe Doctrine also made it clear that we didn't want any outside powers messing around in our backyard, making us an early version of "NIMBY."

But by the end of the 19th century, our scope had expanded beyond these early considerations. Our relations with Britain were starting to warm and improve, and we began to see eye to eye more and more on how we looked at the world. We were temporary allies during the Boxer Rebellion, along with other colonial powers in the region. We also ostensibly shared similar concerns about Russian expansion in East Asia. We did not have good relations with either China or Russia at this point, and this likely influenced our perceptions of each other in later years. Meanwhile, the Japanese were angry at us over our mediation at the Treaty of Portsmouth where they thought we gave too much to the Russians in settling the Russo-Japanese War. The Germans also seemed to be getting restless and wanting to get their piece of the action as well.

Every nation at the time had its own particular version of nationalist sentiment which influenced their perceptions and policies. American patriotism as we know it today was in its halcyon years. But the First World War presented a dilemma, since we were still committed to the idea of no foreign entanglements. From our point of view, it was just another occasion where European nations squabbled with each other, so why should we bother with that? If they want to fight, let 'em fight. But the Germans were getting too aggressive with their unrestricted submarine warfare, which violated the principle of "freedom of the seas." Plus, they were accused of attempting to incite Mexico into going to war with the United States, which violated the Monroe Doctrine. So, we eventually joined the Allies in declaring war on Germany.

Another major factor in our entry to the war was Wilson's statement that we were "making the world safe for democracy." The Western Allies of Britain and France were considered free and democratic at that point (even despite what they were doing in their colonial empires), while Germany was seen as a militaristic, authoritarian state. But by the time of the US entry, even Russia had overthrown the Tsar and was now ruled by a democratically-elected Duma and Provisional Government (albeit in a very precarious and unstable political situation).

After the war, many might consider that another major blunder was in the US Senate's failure to ratify the US entry into the League of Nations, which we didn't do because we thought it would be a foreign entanglement which we weren't ready to take on. However, we did sign and ratify the Kellogg-Briand Pact, in which we agreed to condemn the practice of aggressive war and wars of conquest. A rather noble, high-minded principle on the part of nations which had built up their empires and acquired great wealth by conquering other nations. Now, they were deciding that conquest and invading other nations was wrong.

Most people might consider that World War 2 was the major turning point in US foreign policy, coupled with the idea that "there was no turning back." We were no longer second-stringers or bit players. We were fully on the playing field, center stage, achieving "superpower" status. This is when everything changed, and modern ideas about US foreign policy were formed - and the same basic framework still exists.

Russia and China were our allies during that war, but it was an uneasy alliance. We didn't like each that much, but we were willing to set aside our differences to fight against the common enemy. Allies of convenience, but at least it was something to try to build some sort of working relationship.

In that sense, the Cold War was real, but our pretexts for engaging in it were fraudulent. That was proven when they fired Patton and MacArthur, but our policymakers apparently wanted to engineer a policy of anti-communist "containment" loosely justified on the idea of "making the world safe for democracy," which Wilson had proclaimed back in WW1. But they couldn't just do it, at least not in the way that Patton and MacArthur might have advocated. After all, we made an earlier pledge to condemn aggressive warfare, so we couldn't just go off and invade like we did in the past. We had to make it look "legitimate" somehow, using proxies and puppets, turning the former colonial world into pawns which were nominally "independent," yet under the thumb of outside powers.

Even setting aside the moral implications of gunboat diplomacy, forcefully exerting hegemony on other nations, interfering in the internal affairs of other nations, and engaging in proxy and/or interventionist wars, I would say that, overall, this policy has had mixed results. It has been prohibitively expensive, too, creating a massive drain on our economy. Whatever gains we might have made come nowhere near offsetting the losses we've incurred. Our standing in the world has diminished greatly when we were at our peak at the end of WW2.

It's really a shame that we couldn't come to terms with our allies, Russia and China, at the end of WW2. The entire course of world affairs could have changed if only we had reached out in friendship. We could have avoided a wasteful and fiscally irresponsible arms race. We could have avoided nuclear brinkmanship and the fear of world-wide destruction. We could have avoided so many hot wars which we got caught up in around the world. It also had noticeable internal effects as well, as Americans became more cynical and jaded. We didn't really learn much about the world in all this time. All we seem to know now is that everyone hates us, and we can't even fathom or understand why.

And true to form, even though communism doesn't seem to be the grave threat it once was, we still have tense relations with both China and Russia at present.
Many consider US untrustworthy as an ally because their foreign policy changes radically with change of parties. So you can suddenly be left high and dry when a new president comes.

Colt

Many consider US untrustworthy as an ally because their foreign policy changes radically with change of parties. So you can suddenly be left high and dry when a new president comes.
Yes, that's a problem. Some policy remains consistent.

Audie

Veteran Member

You think the USA is more corrupt than China?

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
So blame the gun maker not the gun users.
if there were no guns there would be no gun users, think you're going to supply a whole bunch of weapons and then blame the recipient for using them, idiocy.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I wouldn't say "radically," although I get your point. However, my primary complaint about both parties is that, overall, they've advocated mostly the same policies. They also both share the same perceptions of the world. The main difference seems to be that liberals and progressives are more inclined to support diplomacy and other peaceful methods, while the conservatives seem to be more hawkish. But even then, in practice, neither party has been very consistent.