• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it right or wrong?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When we discuss with other people from different view and different religions/spiritual paths, sometimes we can see people say, Your view is wrong. But How do we know?

My experience from discussing with different people from different religious paths, i must say that even i hold my own belief and have no doubt about the teaching i cultivating, I can honestly not say to someone that. Your religion and your religious belief is wrong. (i have said this in the past, but realised it was wrong view)
But if i am unsure of why the person believe what they do, i can ask , why do you belive this? and then i can investigate this from my own path and see if they also can have right in their view.

I am sure we all looking for same the truth. But our viewpoint are different.
I found the truth i looking within me and right infront of me.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I can climb a mountain and take a multitude of different paths.

Some are scenic; some are less so. Some are fast; some are slow. I'll see different things along each path. Some may be pleasing; some may not be. Some will be more costly; others are not. Some are more dangerous than others. Some will get me there quickly; some it will take much longer.

But each one will get me to the top of the mountain. So there is no right way; there is no wrong way (unless I am descending).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I think you can say that someone is wrong. For example, if they point to an animal and say 'that is a racoon' when it is actually a cat, you can say they are wrong.

That is the difference between a fact and an opinion. Factual statements are true whether or not someone believes them. They are a common basis for communication between people. While opinions are individual. Each person has their own and for reasons of their own.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Its wrong to generalize all people as under condemnation, and as sinners like some of these fundamentalist religions do.

Other then that i have no qualms with religion.

Vee

Premium Member
When we discuss with other people from different view and different religions/spiritual paths, sometimes we can see people say, Your view is wrong. But How do we know?

My experience from discussing with different people from different religious paths, i must say that even i hold my own belief and have no doubt about the teaching i cultivating, I can honestly not say to someone that. Your religion and your religious belief is wrong. (i have said this in the past, but realised it was wrong view)
But if i are unsure of why the person believe what they do, i can ask , why do you belive this? and then i can investigate this from my own path and see if they also can have right in their view.

When talking to people about my beliefs I've always had much better results by simply telling them what I believe and why, and letting them draw their own conclusions, instead of imposing mine.
If you tell someone you're right and they're wrong, just like that, they will feel offended and embarrassed and they won't want to keep talking to you.
It is much better to express our ideas in a respectful way and let people make their own mind. Nothing talks louder than a respectful behavior.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

But if i are unsure of why the person believe what they do, i can ask , why do you belive this? and then i can investigate this from my own path and see if they also can have right in their view.

I just like to stick with 'we differ.' or some such thing. But I do tend to react to the statement "I'm right and you're wrong" when said directly at me. Even worse when they add 'and it's blatantly obvious!'

I've even had discussions about 'we differ' with a few folks who claimed, 'no, we don't differ'. Silly, really.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When talking to people about my beliefs I've always had much better results by simply telling them what I believe and why, and letting them draw their own conclusions, instead of imposing mine.
If you tell someone you're right and they're wrong, just like that, they will feel offended and embarrassed and they won't want to keep talking to you.
It is much better to express our ideas in a respectful way and let people make their own mind. Nothing talks louder than a respectful behavior.
Some of the best reigious discussions i had has been with Jehova`s Vitnesses :)

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Fact is correct, opinion/faith may or may not be correct.

Jumi

Some are scenic; some are less so. Some are fast; some are slow. I'll see different things along each path. Some may be pleasing; some may not be. Some will be more costly; others are not. Some are more dangerous than others. Some will get me there quickly; some it will take much longer.

But each one will get me to the top of the mountain. So there is no right way; there is no wrong way (unless I am descending).
The problem is if there are mountains in the plural. Then climbing one resembles another, but when you reach the top it's not the same as another mountain. And lots of people seem comfortable in the base camps, where there's a postcard you can send home...

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem is if there are mountains in the plural. Then climbing one resembles another, but when you reach the top it's not the same as another mountain. And lots of people seem comfortable in the base camps, where there's a postcard you can send home...

My metaphor only has one mountain. The rest are molehills.

Stop breaking my metaphors by making mountains out of molehills. :p

PureX

Veteran Member

I found the truth i looking within me and right in front of me.
The thing to be asking them, AND ourselves, is; "right or wrong by what criteria?" If that criteria is, "my own experience and reasoning" (as it almost always is), then that's fine, but it does not really apply to anyone else, because they will have their own experiences and reasoning from which to assess right and wrong for themselves. But if that criteria is some other external ideal, then that should be articulated, and thereby discussed.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
The thing to be asking them, AND ourselves, is; "right or wrong by what criteria?" If that criteria is, "my own experience and reasoning" (as it almost always is), then that's fine, but it does not really apply to anyone else, because they will have their own experiences and reasoning from which to assess right and wrong for themselves. If that criteria is some other, external ideal, then that should be articulated, and thereby discussed.
The way i follow buddhism is that yes i read the suttas and study each chapter and topics that is discussed there. Then i think how does this apply to my own life, is this something i see working in my life? can i apply it or does this not concern me at all?

The teaching of Buddha was given in oral tradition until monks wrote it down and yes that was some hundred years alter, but those who was keeping the teaching in their mind was already enlighten beings similar to buddha, so they would remember his words.
It is later that unfortunatly some text can have been translated wrong, but knowing this as a buddhist i am aware of the text and see where i can not agree with the text, that is most likly where other then the first monks did write it. But the main teaching is still fully correct

PureX

Veteran Member
The way i follow buddhism is that yes i read the suttas and study each chapter and topics that is discussed there. Then i think how does this apply to my own life, is this something i see working in my life? can i apply it or does this not concern me at all?

The teaching of Buddha was given in oral tradition until monks wrote it down and yes that was some hundred years alter, but those who was keeping the teaching in their mind was already enlighten beings similar to buddha, so they would remember his words.
It is later that unfortunatly some text can have been translated wrong, but knowing this as a buddhist i am aware of the text and see where i can not agree with the text, that is most likly where other then the first monks did write it. But the main teaching is still fully correct
Your assumption that these "enlightened beings" that maintained an oral account of the Divine Manifestation's words and deeds without bias or misunderstanding is an unrealistic probability by most people's experience and reasoning. Same as with the Christians who likewise believe in the magical inerrancy of scripture. That you find it applicable to your experience of life is very likely to be the result of biased expectations, as anything else. Something that we humans cannot really avoid. But what works for you, works for you (by your own definition of what that means), and none of the rest of us can reasonably argue with this.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

ok....so you want to know if a line can be drawn?
without drawing a line

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Belief has to do with Love
Love is "heart to heart" connection
Not all love the same woman, but all love their woman

Similar way it is just "ignorant" to belittle the faith/Love of another person
People who indulge in this behavior just express that they don't feel Love

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I wanted to know if others think that there can be only one true path, or if they think more then one path can lead to same truth (spirituall)
you just drew a line

if there is one true path
there is no other

to say there is more than one TRUE path is white washing everything
I would be right and you would be right
everybody is right

and the peace of heaven is no longer guarded

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
you just drew a line

if there is one true path
there is no other

to say there is more than one TRUE path is white washing everything
I would be right and you would be right
everybody is right

and the peace of heaven is no longer guarded
I asked what others though , not about what i think.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
allow me to 'qualify' that last post

what? .....no Jews in heaven?

what?...no Muslims?

no other manner of belief?
only one manner?

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

we have never needed more
or anything else

PureX

Veteran Member
Belief has to do with Love
Love is "heart to heart" connection
Not all love the same woman, but all love their woman

Similar way it is just "ignorant" to belittle the faith/Love of another person
People who indulge in this behavior just express that they don't feel Love
Yes, but a lot of people mislabel, because the do not know how to recognize, love. And therefor, many of these same people mislabel, because they cannot comprehend, religion. Just as they think love is lust, or servitude, or subjugation, they think religion is emotional fanaticism, blind obedience, and intellectual submission.

How do we respect the religious beliefs of others when they are not really even religious beliefs, but merely expressions of their own ignorance, confusion, and past victimization being mislabeled as, 'religion'?