• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it presidential for Hillary to call half the opponent's supporters a "basket of deplorables.

whirlingmerc

Seems the Clinton's opposing mean spirited language applies only to others. And rules for others don't apply to themselves?

But is that a reason to vote for or against her?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's a reason to vote against humanity.

But people aren't voting for humanity, they're voting for America.

So is it an acceptable American mistake?

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Both candidates routinely insult vast swaths of American citizens. It does seem like an odd strategy for winning votes, but it seems to be working for them, so what do I know? I guess this is the new presidency, for a otherwise already notably uncivil society.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
In this election unless they shoot some one in the street it is all OK. Wait, Donald said his supporters will even vote for him if he shoots some one. So yeah its all good.

whirlingmerc

So... Hillary is in the mud pit throwing around mud... claiming she's taking the high ground?

I believe Obama claimed he also would be president of all Americans, but his interests were pretty narrowly focused. Bad record on keeping election promises.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
So... Hillary is in the mud pit throwing around mud... claiming she's taking the high ground?

I believe Obama claimed he also would be president of all Americans, but his interests were pretty narrowly focused. Bad record on keeping election promises.

Hillary gets the moral high ground in the election because Donald doesn't want it, but if you compare either candidate to an average Americans morals they are both below standards; which is why they are the 2 least liked candidates in polling history.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
It's amusing yet sad how the general public takes these two handfuls of excrement, and then will complain about one while eagerly stuffing their face with the other.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I think Hillary underestimates the deplorables quite a bit. Those "deplorables" who seem to get all the press are the 30% of Republicans driven by gut reaction rather than reason. The red-neck, angry sign wavers, who populate Trumps gatherings, and who for the most part seldom if ever vote for anything. Employing reason is simply outside their innate ability. So calling them deplorable is like calling left handed people inept because they can't do things with their right hand like 90% of the population, and it really isn't fair. In reality, these aren't actually deplorables, but the all-too-sad lemmings who would follow Trump over the cliff. This leaves 70% of the Republicans, the truly deplorable Trump followers who, despite recognizing his demonstrated lack of character and ability to serve as President, champion him nonetheless. Of these there are two sorts. Those who want him in office because he will pander to their special interests---but unlike the 30% will stop short of going over the cliff. And those so committed to the Republican philosophy that no matter what kind of squirrel is put up for Presidential candidate they'll vote for it. They have no interest in sorting out the flaws of any Republican candidate, Trump included, and are content to ask, in effect, so what? Whatever the case, reason is lost on them all either because it's ineffective or dismissed out of hand.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Seems the Clinton's opposing mean spirited language applies only to others.

You know, just to be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right? The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people, now have 11 million. He tweets and retweets offensive, hateful, mean-spirited rhetoric. Now some of those folks, they are irredeemable. But thankfully they are not America.

- Clinton

Replace the questionable word "half" with the unquestionable worst "significant" and you have a statement which is both accurate and important.

Underhill

Replace the questionable word "half" with the unquestionable worst "significant" and you have a statement which is both accurate and important.

That quote sounds optimistic and realistic. As you say, she may be off when she says half, but she isn't exactly wrong either.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I'd be interested in knowing your numbers

What percentage of republicans
What percentage of democrats
What percentage of independents

What percentage of Americans fit her description. Its only important if there is an accurate count and separation.

I'll give you mine to critic and Its only opinion and I would not use the Deplorable part about anyone. Everyone is useful and has a good side as well.

Republicans 33%, Democrats 20%, Independents 20% and The American average 25% If you break out the categories Sexist, Homophobic, Xenophobic and Islamophobic you might be surprised to find the republicans aren't the top in all categories in my opinion.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Thanks for the links, but I'm quite sure they'll get ignored by the Pubs because they much prefer their own "facts", and the Trump supporters even more live in an anti-factual, anti-science "bubble". Like Trump himself said, he could shoot them in the fact and they'd still vote for him.

What still amazes me is how many self-proclaimed evangelicals are so willing to vote for someone so arrogant, abrasive, demeaning, blatantly dishonest, and bigoted as Trump is. I can understand why most may not want to vote for Hillary, but to vote for Trump after what he has repeatedly said indicates that all too many of them don't seem to take Jesus's message of compassion and justice seriously. Could anyone imagine for even one minute Jesus endorsing Trump? :rolleyes:

Underhill

I'd be interested in knowing your numbers

What percentage of republicans
What percentage of democrats
What percentage of independents

What percentage of Americans fit her description. Its only important if there is an accurate count and separation.

I'll give you mine to critic and Its only opinion and I would not use the Deplorable part about anyone. Everyone is useful and has a good side as well.

Republicans 33%, Democrats 20%, Independents 20% and The American average 25% If you break out the categories Sexist, Homophobic, Xenophobic and Islamophobic you might be surprised to find the republicans aren't the top in all categories in my opinion.

That's nonsense. All you need do is look at the behavior at these rallies and you know it's a significant number.

And before you dismiss this, remember this detail. When republicans dismiss Black Lives Matter as a viable group they are doing the exact same kind of math. 1%, 5% or 48.7%... these people acting out are visible and problematic for Trump, just as they are problematic for BLM. The difference is that BLM has publicly denounced those who promote hate and violence. Trump will only denounce them if they are democrats.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
That's nonsense. All you need do is look at the behavior at these rallies and you know it's a significant number.

And before you dismiss this, remember this detail. When republicans dismiss Black Lives Matter as a viable group they are doing the exact same kind of math. 1%, 5% or 48.7%... these people acting out are visible and problematic for Trump, just as they are problematic for BLM. The difference is that BLM has publicly denounced those who promote hate and violence. Trump will only denounce them if they are democrats.

Let me ask you this why is Hillary having problems with Democrats support. Could their be some bias in the democrats. For example Sexism. I would bet the Democrats have a higher portion of sexist people then the republicans.

From my experiences
Minority groups are very sexist.
Also Minority groups that lived where the Nazi's escaped to tend to be very bigoted.

Minorities are how much of the Democratic party vs the Republican party.

As for Black Lives Matter, They have a naming problem that is all. People see it as they are saying they are worth more than others a simple also would garner tons of support from both sides. Black Lives also Matter.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Let me ask you this why is Hillary having problems with Democrats support. Could their be some bias in the democrats. For example Sexism. I would bet the Democrats have a higher portion of sexist people then the republicans.
That is easily one of the stupidest comments I've heard to-date.

Skwim

Veteran Member
That is easily one of the stupidest comments I've heard to-date.
What I want to know is why Donald still eats the ears of parboiled kittens, and gets off in front of his TV when his picture is broadcast. And what is this rumor that Trump is about to dump Melania for the first Muslim Miss USA, Rima Fakiha because he wants to sleep with the enemy?

thumbnail.php
---"And in the morning I'll have my chauffeur drive you to the border."

........---"Oh Donald, you really are a ******* aren't you/"

.​