• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible ?

chinu

chinu
Is it possible for someone to believe in any Saint/Guru/Messiah/Messanger or whatever etc.. But not God ? :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Sure. Sainthood is demonstrably real. Religious teachings, and therefore teachers, too.

By contrast, as beliefs go, God is strictly optional.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Honestly, it depends on how one is defining those terms. If a "messenger" for example is defined specifically in the context of being a messenger of the gods, then clearly one needs to accept the reality of gods in order to believe anyone/anything can be one of their messengers.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And how do you define "Spiritual" ?

Pretty much the same as you do, I suspect, except that I see no mark of a higher purpose or creator behind it.

It has to do with a certain kind of motivation, empathy, and moral values.

chinu

chinu
Honestly, it depends on how one is defining those terms. If a "messenger" for example is defined specifically in the context of being a messenger of the gods, then clearly one needs to accept the reality of gods in order to believe anyone/anything can be one of their messengers.
So, its not possible. :)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

Yes... if the message's worth relies on the messenger correct about the origin of his message.

And even that is assuming that the messenger himself believes in a divine origin for the message.

Stranger things have happened. Haile Selassie was actually declared divine regardless of his own thoughts on the matter, for instance.

Haile Selassie I - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So, its not possible. :)

From a certain point of view, yes. From other points of view, it's very possible.

Yes... if the message's worth relies on the messenger correct about the origin of his message.

And even that is assuming that the messenger himself believes in a divine origin for the message.

Ah, I was speaking more from the standpoint of the messenger themselves, not the people listening. If you do not accept that gods are real (and that they can communicate effectively with people; that's another background assumption in there), you will not perceive that they are speaking to you. What outsiders read into what you say or do not say is up to their own perceptions. How the "worth" of the message it is evaluated is also a separate issue, I think, that goes beyond the intended scope of this thread.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
So it seems that you and I understood the intent of this thread differently, Quintessence.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Probably. Direct communication/experience of the gods is a norm in contemporary Paganism, so for better or worse I tend to come at things from that angle. It's so much the norm to work directly with your gods that most of the terms in the OP don't have much place in Neopaganism. All the terms in the OP are intermediaries, and Neopaganism rarely makes use of such intermediaries. There are teachers and traditions, but they don't hold the same role that they do in revealed religions.