• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it possible to proselytize from a place of humility?

A Vestigial Mote

This question has developed over time via a rather large array of attempts made at my conversion that have never once seemed humble in origin to me. And I thought to start this thread today after a particularly interesting attempt at proselytizing that happened just yesterday as I was walking my dogs. If you care to read about it, open the "spoiler" below.

A mildly unkempt man in modest attire and a backpack approached as a few girls stopped to admire the puppy I was walking. I was attempting to keep my larger dog (a lab-pit mix) away because she is a rescue dog and tends to be unpredictable around people when outside, due to who knows what from her past. My big dog ended up barking at one of the girls (no biting, mind you), and the man proceeded to inform me that I should carry around a rod to beat the dog with when it gets out of line. When I told him she was a rescue, and was in all other respects a complete sweetheart, he proceeded to let me in on the idea that carrying a rod to subdue animals has Biblical origins.

That's when we got into real discussion, and I was not the least bit shy to tell him that I don't believe that The Bible is a universally accepted authority, and used many of the arguments/questions/points I have honed over time here on this site to head him off at every (predictable) objection he felt compelled to make, and every piece of scripture he seemed to expect take up permanent roots in my psyche.

Ultimately, as tends to be the case very often when proselytizers have run out of steam, he turned to an ad hominem-type statement, saying that if I took his prescribed advice regarding belief and study of scripture to heart I "would realize how vile I actually am." Mind you, I had not once insulted him. The closest I may have gotten was when he made some remark about believing fantastical things and I remarked sarcastically that "Yes, and witches can do magic, and deserve to be burned at the stake." to which he immediately, and with all honestly replied "Yes, they can." Then proceeded to ask me how I could explain the claims of some woman a town or two away who claimed to have received a necklace from a demon. I told him she was very likely delusional. And THAT is the closest I ever got in the entire conversation to saying anything about this man personally... and it wasn't even about him. Otherwise I was nothing but civil the entire time, rational through and through, not even raising my voice at any moment.

Observing his mannerisms, and the way he wielded scripture, I pegged him for one of those types who believe themselves either the second coming of the messiah, or at the very least a contemporary prophet. He was outspoken against modern church organizations, and very much eschewed separated factions/sects/denominations of Christianity - basically also one of those types who claims that no one (except themselves obviously) is "doing Christianity right." My suspicions were confirmed when later my wife posted about the encounter online, and someone replied that they saw us talking to him, and that he frequently walked his way all over town spreading his message, and had only recently started wearing shoes on his treks - where before he wore none purposefully in order to "be more like Jesus."

TLDR: The guy turned to (mild) insult when confronted with the idea that I wasn't going stock-accept his preaching, and that I had ideas greatly alternative to his own that I was just as fervent about. This sort of thing has happened so often (in "real life" as well as online) that it is definitely not limited to just a one-time anecdote. I literally can't remember a single attempt at proselytization that didn't end in the proselytizer telling me, or at least strongly hinting at the idea that I was arrogant, debase, going to hell, or "vile." And it seems very likely that, in their minds, I HAVE TO be some of those things to deny God - which is a complete load of crap. Good luck selling your worldview with a mindset like that! "The customer is ALWAYS WRONG." Nice.

So what does anyone else think? Is it even possible to come off as humble (and therefore not in any way superior) to your chosen target when actively proselytizing your religious belief system? If so, what would that even look like?

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, I believe it can be more humble. As the old saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I personally favour the direct rude approach, as then the potential 'victim' has a heads up. Friendship evangelism, having the same goal in mind, is far sneakier and underhanded. Easier to tolerate though.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Is it even possible to come off as humble (and therefore not in any way superior) to your chosen target when actively proselytizing your religious belief system? If so, what would that even look like?
My (sadly deceased) friend Pat was a master of humble proselytizing.
She was a tireless worker for peace and justice. She epitomized the "Preach the Gospel always. Use words only when absolutely necessary." form of proselytizing.
Tom

whirlingmerc

This question has developed over time via a rather large array of attempts made at my conversion that have never once seemed humble in origin to me. And I thought to start this thread today after a particularly interesting attempt at proselytizing that happened just yesterday as I was walking my dogs. If you care to read about it, open the "spoiler" below.

A mildly unkempt man in modest attire and a backpack approached as a few girls stopped to admire the puppy I was walking. I was attempting to keep my larger dog (a lab-pit mix) away because she is a rescue dog and tends to be unpredictable around people when outside, due to who knows what from her past. My big dog ended up barking at one of the girls (no biting, mind you), and the man proceeded to inform me that I should carry around a rod to beat the dog with when it gets out of line. When I told him she was a rescue, and was in all other respects a complete sweetheart, he proceeded to let me in on the idea that carrying a rod to subdue animals has Biblical origins.

That's when we got into real discussion, and I was not the least bit shy to tell him that I don't believe that The Bible is a universally accepted authority, and used many of the arguments/questions/points I have honed over time here on this site to head him off at every (predictable) objection he felt compelled to make, and every piece of scripture he seemed to expect take up permanent roots in my psyche.

Ultimately, as tends to be the case very often when proselytizers have run out of steam, he turned to an ad hominem-type statement, saying that if I took his prescribed advice regarding belief and study of scripture to heart I "would realize how vile actually [am]." Mind you, I had not once insulted him. The closest I may have gotten was when he made some remark about believing fantastical things and I remarked sarcastically that "Yes, and witches can do magic, and deserve to be burned at the stake." to which he immediately, and with all honestly replied "Yes, they can." Then proceeded to ask me how I could explain the claims of some woman a town or two away who claimed to have received a necklace from a demon. I told her she was very likely delusional. And THAT is the closest I ever got in the entire conversation to saying anything about this man personally... and it wasn't even about him. Otherwise I was nothing but civil the entire time, rational through and through, not even raising my voice at any moment.

Observing his mannerisms, and the way he wielded scripture, I pegged him for one of those types who believe themselves either the second coming of the messiah, or at the very least a contemporary prophet. He was outspoken against modern church organizations, and very much eschewed separated factions/sects/denominations of Christianity - basically also one of those types who claims that no one (except themselves obviously) is "doing Christianity right." My suspicions were confirmed when later my wife posted about the encounter online, and someone replied that they saw us talking to him, and that he frequently walked his way all over town spreading his message, and had only recently started wearing shoes on his treks - where before he wore none purposefully in order to "be more like Jesus."

TLDR: The guy turned to (mild) insult when confronted with the idea that I wasn't going stock-accept his preaching, and that I had ideas greatly alternative to his own that I was just as fervent about. This sort of thing has happened so often (in "real life" as well as online) that it is definitely not limited to just a one-time anecdote. I literally can't remember a single attempt at proselytization that didn't end in the proselytizer telling me, or at least strongly hinting at the idea that I was arrogant, debase, going to hell, or "vile." And it seems very likely that, in their minds, I HAVE TO be some of those things to deny God - which is a complete load of crap. Good luck selling your worldview with a mindset like that! "The customer is ALWAYS WRONG." Nice.

So what does anyone else think? Is it even possible to come off as humble (and therefore not in any way superior) to your chosen target when actively proselytizing your religious belief system? If so, what would that even look like?

Yes

A Vestigial Mote

She was a tireless worker for peace and justice. She epitomized the "Preach the Gospel always. Use words only when absolutely necessary." form of proselytizing.
Tom
I had thought of this... like the idea of just going out and doing good works, and when people ask you "why", you give them your religious conviction as an answer. And I imagine this works better.

Though I, personally, would find myself much more gratified to hear someone answer that same question of why with "Because this is who I am."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Tom
I like people like that. Lead by example as opposed to lead by mouth in terms of humility.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I like people like that. Lead by example as opposed to lead by mouth in terms of humility.
It was hard to even get her to talk about religion. She was a devout Catholic herself, but didn't give much thought to other people's beliefs on the subject.
Anybody willing to take on a volunteer opportunity or donate to the cause or whatever was good.
Tom

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

Ultimately, as tends to be the case very often when proselytizers have run out of steam, he turned to an ad hominem-type statement, saying that if I took his prescribed advice regarding belief and study of scripture to heart I "would realize how vile actually [am]." Mind you, I had not once insulted him. The closest I may have gotten was when he made some remark about believing fantastical things and I remarked sarcastically that "Yes, and witches can do magic, and deserve to be burned at the stake." to which he immediately, and with all honestly replied "Yes, they can." Then proceeded to ask me how I could explain the claims of some woman a town or two away who claimed to have received a necklace from a demon. I told her she was very likely delusional. And THAT is the closest I ever got in the entire conversation to saying anything about this man personally... and it wasn't even about him. Otherwise I was nothing but civil the entire time, rational through and through, not even raising my voice at any moment.

i believe you have a scenario of being led to water; when obviously you were not thirsty. that isn't being humble. being humble is being of service to someone. had you asked for a drink of water and they went quickly to get you the requested item, that would be humble

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Sure, as long as you keep your mouth closed.
Yup. If you walk the talk people will see and respond to your actions. Some might even ask you about how your beliefs translated into your action. That to me is true proselytizing.

Akivah

So what does anyone else think? Is it even possible to come off as humble (and therefore not in any way superior) to your chosen target when actively proselytizing your religious belief system?
Thinking back on the dozen or so proselytizing attempts on myself, I don't think its possible. They all come in with an attitude of "I know something you don't know" or "I'm going to Heaven and you're not". None were ever interested in learning anything about my beliefs, other than trying to refute them. They all have a sense of superiority and my logic was disregarded.

WalterTrull

Godfella
Had to look up evangelism. I guess the meaning has changed a bit. "Spreading the good news" doesn't sound bad of itself. Somewhere/time "You're going to hell if you don't believe me" got incorporated. Also, "Shake the dust" got dropped for push, push, push. I suppose you could spread good news humbly.

Dark Knight

Thinking back on the dozen or so proselytizing attempts on myself, I don't think its possible. They all come in with an attitude of "I know something you don't know" or "I'm going to Heaven and you're not". None were ever interested in learning anything about my beliefs, other than trying to refute them. They all have a sense of superiority and my logic was disregarded.
Muslims do. I do. We belong to Abraham in the end. And we are also the last religion. I'm uncertain of the fate of humanity, so i stick it to the man (Jinn don't know) and rely on him. However i'm last edition. Therefore i can proselytize and listen about others faith also, because usually i know i'm right. Not cockiness but humbly. Therefore Allah doesn't force you to believe in him, because he has all the arguments (in our books) all knowledge all wisdom. I challenge anyone on this, as we say in Iraq. Humbly superior.

Jumi

They have to keep a guard up so they don't end up converting themselves from their faith. That's why they're not genuinely interested in your beliefs.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Proselytizing is a form of selling, although many proselytizers might not wish to look at themselves as salespeople, given the low repute the occupation is generally held in.

I was in sales once and I learned the slowest but surest way to a sale was to first question your prospective customer to find out exactly what his or her needs are and then -- and only then -- to figure out some way(s) in which your product or service can realistically meet those needs. Sounds simple, right? Most salespeople don't do a very good job of it, and hence don't make the money I once made in sales.

It is at least naive, and possibly arrogant, to assume you have a product or service that suits everyone's needs. But that is exactly what most proselytizers that I come across do assume.

On the upside, it's been quite awhile since I last had trouble dismissing a proselytizer. Most leave almost eagerly when I tell them I'm not interested.