• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is It Possible People Come Against Intelligence as They Find it Challenging?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
The simpler the person, the more simple the method for contending what they challenge...

Thus when someone of a higher intelligence comes along, the very nature of it being above the simple person in forms of intelligence can cause it to be daunting, and thus creating a divide - with possible animosity from the superiority, though it wasn't maybe implied by the wise.

Yet the mere act of someone smarter causes an inherent backlash at a psychological level; which is possibly where trolls come from.

Thus is this a social error that wisdom should be highly esteemed before wealth, so that the priority of everyone is to be smarter; therefore it is respected, not resented to be wiser?

Because to become wise there is an element of hard work, to begin being even interested in continuous learning (enlightenment); thus does someone already have to be on the road to wisdom, to appreciate the beauty of other journeys?

Having spent 15 years online discussing with people, I'd say unless someone has experienced the road to wisdom; most are simply contending that others are using the road to walk past them, when they're trying to find somewhere comfortable to sit down.

In my opinion. :innocent:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm not sure wisdom involves hard work - perhaps just recognising what one experiences rather than being deluded about them. And seeking usually ends in finding. :oops:

wizanda

Premium Member
Is this thread about intelligence or wisdom?
They are different and recognize that; yet the aspect of usage was defined in our statements.

Wisdom is the patience to sit, and undo the knot logically; intelligence is using the brain to solve puzzles.

wizanda

Premium Member
I'm not sure wisdom involves hard work
Discernment only comes from investigation; wisdom can only come from being willing to make the climb to learn more.

The brain is like a muscle, it takes patience to become a master at something, and years of study where it becomes second nature to look everything up, to choose to look for wisdom in all aspects.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
They are different and recognize that; yet the aspect of usage was defined in our statements.

Wisdom is the patience to sit, and undo the knot logically; intelligence is using the brain to solve puzzles.

I don't know, I kind of think wisdom is knowing when it's hopeless. Wisdom is the ability to recognize a dead-end.

Edit to add: A wise person knows which puzzles to solve and how much time to spend solving them. A child can be smart, but they would be happy playing with puzzles all day, and that's unwise.

Last edited:

shmogie

The simpler the person, the more simple the method for contending what they challenge...

Thus when someone of a higher intelligence comes along, the very nature of it being above the simple person in forms of intelligence can cause it to be daunting, and thus creating a divide - with possible animosity from the superiority, though it wasn't maybe implied by the wise.

Yet the mere act of someone smarter causes an inherent backlash at a psychological level; which is possibly where trolls come from.

Thus is this a social error that wisdom should be highly esteemed before wealth, so that the priority of everyone is to be smarter; therefore it is respected, not resented to be wiser?

Because to become wise there is an element of hard work, to begin being even interested in continuous learning (enlightenment); thus does someone already have to be on the road to wisdom, to appreciate the beauty of other journeys?

Having spent 15 years online discussing with people, I'd say unless someone has experienced the road to wisdom; most are simply contending that others are using the road to walk past them, when they're trying to find somewhere comfortable to sit down.

Wisdom come from age and experience. It cannot be learned from books, or in learning institutions, else the snotty nosed whiz kid 22 YO PhD would be extremely wise.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yep, and studies have confirmed this.

It is also one reason why true intellectuals rarely get elected to political office.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Discernment only comes from investigation; wisdom can only come from being willing to make the climb to learn more.

The brain is like a muscle, it takes patience to become a master at something, and years of study where it becomes second nature to look everything up, to choose to look for wisdom in all aspects.

I'm not against hard work - most of my most memorable achievements involved such - but I don't think that wisdom necessarily comes from such. We often just recognise certain things if we are open to them, and obviously the more one knows about the world, humans and their behaviour, the more one is likely to piece things together to form our wisdom. I'm not sure that delving into spiritual issues, for example, makes one any wiser other than in such things. Plenty of people seem to manage without such and apparently don't need it - and not necessarily any worse for it. I'm always willing to learn anything from those more intelligent than myself - plenty about - but it takes a degree of wisdom to discern those having an agenda over those without.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Wisdom, in my opinion is in knowing there are going to be people in the world smarter than yourself and those not as smart. Neither condition makes them any less human, more or less worthy, above or beneath you.

The wisdom I have, is a matter of the experiences I've had in life. My intelligence, a matter of genetics and circumstances. I see no good reason for taking any credit or blame for either.

Thus when someone of a higher intelligence comes along, the very nature of it being above the simple person in forms of intelligence can cause it to be daunting, and thus creating a divide - ...

I think that is an interesting idea, especially if we compare people and God. God is extremely wise and people are not, could it be the reason why people reject God?

wizanda

Premium Member
God is extremely wise and people are not, could it be the reason why people reject God?
They might just be going opposite to the level of wisdom God has, as they can't comprehend it, so they go opposite to have a sense of not being below.

PureX

Veteran Member
I think that is an interesting idea, especially if we compare people and God. God is extremely wise and people are not, could it be the reason why people reject God?
I think that's in large part why weak-minded people reject, slander, and denigrate more intelligent people: they feel "stupid" in comparison, and they resent the more intelligent among them for making them feel that way. But I really don't think that's an issue with people rejecting "God". I think that in nearly every case, a person rejects "God" because they reject the image/concept of God that they've been taught and confronted with, as being untrue, unreal, and dysfunctional.

PureX

Veteran Member
Wisdom come from age and experience. It cannot be learned from books, or in learning institutions, else the snotty nosed whiz kid 22 YO PhD would be extremely wise.
Some of them are. At least; wise enough to work hard, get good grades, stay out of trouble, and take full advantage of the education they've been given.

And I suspect that with all that they've also learned to wipe their nose. :rolleyes:

shmogie

Some of them are. At least; wise enough to work hard, get good grades, stay out of trouble, and take full advantage of the education they've been given.

And I suspect that with all that they've also learned to wipe their nose. :rolleyes:
Yes, my daughters fit your description, though one only has her undergraduate degree, the other a masters. They both are successful professional women.

Yet they are not wise. They are learning wisdom, one much better than the other.

To me wisdom comes from life experiences, a plethora of them. We are all to an extent learning wisdom, yet the old who have learned the wisdom from their many, many experiences in their long life are wise.

Of course there are old folk who did not learn from their experiences who lack wisdom.

Yes, young people can display wisdom as well..

amorphous_constellation

Someone with wealth wouldn't necessarily envy someone who is wise, would they

How does this tie into religion

wizanda

Premium Member
Someone with wealth wouldn't necessarily envy someone who is wise, would they
The fool who spends billions on a task, that took a billion steps; resents the wise, who did so with one step.
How does this tie into religion
Because the religions are the wisdom of the wise to help society evolve; to question wealth comes from wisdom, and abundance comes from our sustainability.

amorphous_constellation

The fool who spends billions on a task, that took a billion steps; resents the wise, who did so with one step.

Wait a minute, both those people are wise, the latter person is just a little wiser than the former. They are wise because no fool makes billions. Most people are in a position to merely envy great wealth, regardless of where they chart in brains. And both of the them will most likely chart quite high. As to what envy that exists between them, who cares about that? Their relationship could be anything, as they are both merely wealthy people, ultimately.