• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it permitted to eat elephant meat in Islam?

Sapiens

Polymathematician
I think you are confusing the Bible with the Quran and hadiths.
Could be, I try not to spend much time on such foolishness, in any case I was half right, the ritual slaughter of an elephant, quickly with a sharpened blade, without suffering and without seeing the blade, might be a challenge. Avoiding the smell the blood from a previous slaughter would be a whole lot easier.

TG123456

Could be, I try not to spend much time on such foolishness, in any case I was half right, the ritual slaughter of an elephant, quickly with a sharpened blade, without suffering and without seeing the blade, might be a challenge. Avoiding the smell the blood from a previous slaughter would be a whole lot easier.
If you don't spend time "on such foolishness", what are you doing on a thread about the permissibility of food according to religious beliefs?

I neither sacrifice animals nor do I eat elephants, but I would agree with you that it would be very difficult, and I would add cruel, to try slaughtering an elephant with a knife. I think a bullet to the brain would be the only humane way to kill it.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
If you say so, however, we zoologists are the keepers of the truth when it comes to critters ... you can have the prophets, they may have lead the world in 700, but since they all they seem to do is try to get back there..

Last edited:

Zulk-Dharma

I don't think it's possible to slaughter an elephant, how many men are needed for such a task to keep an elephant down?

Union

I'm curious.

Elephant!

Yes , the only meat prohibited in Qur'an is of pig , otherwise anything slaughtered in the name of GOD is fine .

I stay in Botswana , hence I have a first hand experience with elephants . It is not so easy to slaughter even a baby elephant and why we should when we have ample bovine animals all around .

If necessary , then somebody may can go for it .

OurCreed

There is no God but Allah
It is not mentioned anywhere that it is forbidden, so it would be lawful.

But aside from the Qur'anic usage of the word lawful (halal), the Qur'an also uses the word Tayyib which means good or pure. Is elephant meat good for you or pure? It could be.

However in parts of the world where there are other options available, I don't think eating elephant meat is a priority for many, unless you are living in a place where the only meat available is of the elephant.

Also a side note, not all animals have to be slaughtered in one single particular way. The animals that are slaughtered in the traditional way, the meat is called Zabiha, but that is not a requirement.

OurCreed

There is no God but Allah

shawn001

Mirror Self-Recognition in Asian Elephants!

"
Published on Jan 11, 2015

How self-aware are you? How self-aware is an elephant? Do humans and elephants have a similar ability to recognize their own reflection?

On this episode of "Oh, Behave!" we discuss a study completed by Dr. Joshua Plotnik and colleagues that demonstrated self-awareness in the Asian elephant.