• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it okay to hit your children?

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
lilithu said:
Put simply, conservatives believe that humans are innately bad and need to be forced into goodness.

I find comments like this extremely offensive. This is why it is usually impossible to talk with your stereotypical liberal.

Aqualung

Tasty
lilithu said:
With that, I am bowing out of this conversation, especially since it seems that Aqualung has given up responding to my arguments

sorry. I have a one track mind, and I find it very difficult to have a bunch of argumetns in one thread. I tried, and I thought I was diong it, but I guess not? It helps me if you can repost some of your questions...

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
Draka said:
What's wrong with that??? You have to ask??? It just seems reminiscent of the days that parents would send their kids out to cut a switch for their own whooping. WOW.:eek:
I don't see switches as that bad... they hurt less than belts, fists, and slapping palms.

On an unrelated note, I do wonder about the connection between physical violence with the other spouse and the approval of spanking. My parents often got into physical fights (not quite as often when I was young, but increasingly so as I got older) in front of myself and my sister. Though it can be attributed to other things, my sister is getting disturbingly violent.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Darkdale said:
I find comments like this extremely offensive. This is why it is usually impossible to talk with your stereotypical liberal.
I recognize that overly simplified statements like the one I made have the potential to offend. However, not being able to get over your offense and investigate further is your problem. Did you read the post that I said elaborates on my statement? And do you disagree that the statements by Aqualung and Draka support my argument?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Aqualung said:
I know that I certainly didn't think it was very loving for my parents to send me to my room every time I did something bad. That was horrible. But they did it lovingly, and I learned my lesson. I've know lots of people who weren't beat who hate their parents, and I know lots of people who were who love thier parents. I think the thing is the love, not the means of punishment.

I hit my dogs. If they're missbehaving, I'll give them a slap across the muzzle, and if they're really misbehaving, I'll give them a kick. They still love me.
Yeah, I definitely don't think that's a very good way to reward children.
Not true. they could be exactly equal, but people will still have to make a choice. And one will get chosen. Just because one gets chosen over the other does not make one better. It just means that the individual preferred that method.

It's not what you do, it's how you do it.

I don't necessarily think hitting is preferrable but is certainly not undesirable.
I've seen a child do that with a time out, too. Some kids don't respond well to hitting. I probably wouldn't have been the best kid to hit. On the other hand, my brother just didn't care if he got time out. Those are the kids to hit.
Personally, I'm opposed to parents hitting their kids, husbands and wives hitting one another and anyone hitting an animal. There are simply better ways of expressing anger, and better means of discipline. It's our job to discipline our children. In the process of doing so, we inevitably demonstrate to them what we consider to be acceptable behavior and what we consider to be inapproriate. A parent can get away with hitting a child because he is bigger and stronger. If this is the action he chooses to take, the message that the child gets is that it's okay to use physical violence against someone who is too small or weak to fight back.

Ryan2065

So many pages and pages of jibberish! So many people using the fun logical argument "Based on my one or two experiences, I believe EVERYONE should do this..."

We all know that this argument is no good, so lets do research into this topic...

First off lets help out those that are on the "Spanking is bad side" seeing as they have offered 0 evidence for their claim.
http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/103/3/696

The "Guide for Effective Discipline" of the American Academy of Pediatrics states that no spanking should be done at all.

Now, for the counter proof...
A literature review presented at the conference actually found stronger evidence for beneficial than detrimental effects of spanking with 2- to 6-year-old children.2 The co-chairs of the conference concluded, "Given a relatively "healthy' family life in a supportive environment, spanking in and of itself is not detrimental to a child or predictive of later problems.
The new AAP discipline policy statement largely ignores the consensus conference statement and, instead, selectively plucks from the conference proceedings several allegations of the avowed spanking opponents, without acknowledging the presentations of other participants. Eleven of the 13 citations in the policy statement to support its unconditional antispanking position in the "supplemental information" section concern presentations of antispanking participants at the consensus conference, not original research.
Hey look ma, they are doing what we are doing. Offering opinions and not looking at reserach! =)
Now from another source!
http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/320/7248/1538/a
All eight studies, including four randomised clinical trials, found that nonabusive smacking benefited children when it backed up milder disciplinary tactics with children aged 2 to 6 years.
The 1994 survey question that was most similar to the previous question showed an increased endorsement of mild or moderate physical punishment as sometimes necessary
mdash.gif
from 26% in both 1978 and 1981 to 34% in 1994.5 The 1994 Swedish survey also found that corporal punishment of teenagers was as prevalent after the 1979 ban as in previous generations and that, overall, the incidence of corporal punishment had decreased little.5
Hah, so even when its outlawed there is little decrease in it.
Eighteen studies in the 1996 review investigated alternative disciplinary tactics as well as smacking.3 Only grounding was more effective than smacking, in two studies of older children. In contrast, nine alternatives were associated with more detrimental outcomes in children than was smacking.

Parents need to be empowered with more effective alternatives, not disempowered by premature bans on traditional disciplinary tactics.
The ball is in your court you anti spanking people. =)

Kowalski

Jibberish lol, and you don't huh ? Tell me how to bring up children when you have any. I'll go on my experience and not some quasi-scientic nonsense.

No thanks pal,
K

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I'm not basing my beliefs on research, I'm basing them on the belief that violence should not be resorted to when words can be used. All the research in the world won't change that belief.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Jensa said:
I'm not basing my beliefs on research, I'm basing them on the belief that violence should not be resorted to when words can be used. All the research in the world won't change that belief.

Which is why it is pointless to beleaguer the fact. :) So long as you are not intolerant of a parents right to spank their child, even if such punishment isn't your cup of tea, I don't see a problem.

Flappycat

`Speak roughly to your little boy,
And beat him when he sneezes:
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases.'

I never really understood the idea of beating kids as a way of showing "love" for them. That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard of because the parents saying this know as good and well as I do that there's no love in it. Just follow your instincts. If your kid tries to run out into traffic and your instinctive reaction is to grab him and give him a swat, that's fine because a negative association is needed for running out into traffic, but premeditated nonsense will only earn you more hatred than you're prepared to handle and a child who'd rather die than take orders from any figure of authority. Just follow your instincts, people.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
We need more than instincts, I think. :( Instincts and lack of restraint can result in beating.

M

Majikthise

Flappycat said:
`Speak roughly to your little boy,

And beat him when he sneezes:
He only does it to annoy,
Because he knows it teases.'

I never really understood the idea of beating kids as a way of showing "love" for them. That's the most ridiculous notion I've ever heard of because the parents saying this know as good and well as I do that there's no love in it. Just follow your instincts. If your kid tries to run out into traffic and your instinctive reaction is to grab him and give him a swat, that's fine because a negative association is needed for running out into traffic, but premeditated nonsense will only earn you more hatred than you're prepared to handle and a child who'd rather die than take orders from any figure of authority. Just follow your instincts, people.
A dicsiplinary whack on the butt and a beating are two entirely different things. :sarcastic

Flappycat

Jensa said:
Personal experience, I suppose.
Ditto, though my own parents tried to play the "we're only beating you because we love you" thing, and I only wanted to tear their arms off. However, I'm glad I got thrashed whenever I started playing around with electrical outlets; I never stopped being paranoid around them.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Majikthise said:
A dicsiplinary whack on the butt and a beating are two entirely different things. :sarcastic

:) Quite true. But spankings are not politically correct. Only evil conservative fascists torture their children in such ways. :sarcastic

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I hadn't noticed anyone claiming that, Darkdale... or dragging political correctness into this. Could you point me to it?