• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it okay to be misanthropic ?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I'll be honest: sometimes, I have a distrust of the human species in general. Not a hatred of humans, but a distrust. However, I don't avoid human interaction and am quite social in real life. But many times I distrust people and am skeptical of them. Is it okay to be somewhat misanthropic at times ? 'Tis Normal, right ? :p

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I'll be honest: sometimes, I have a distrust of the human species in general. Not a hatred of humans, but a distrust. However, I don't avoid human interaction and am quite social in real life. But I distrust people in general and am skeptical of them. Is it okay to be [a little] misanthropic at times ? 'Tis Normal, right ? :p

Well, psychology has an explanation for this. I hope this doesn't sound offensive.
We tend to transfer our feelings into the others, that is: if we are selfish, we think all the people are selfish too.
Because we tend to homologue all the people according to our temperament.

That's why I trust human beings and I believe in the project of turning this world into a better place. because I essentially think that all the people of the world are loving, altruistic as I am.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'll be honest: sometimes, I have a distrust of the human species in general. Not a hatred of humans, but a distrust. However, I don't avoid human interaction and am quite social in real life. But many times I distrust people and am skeptical of them. Is it okay to be somewhat misanthropic at times ? 'Tis Normal, right ? :p

I really don't see simple distrust or skepticism of humans equating to misanthropy. It equates better to paranoia and cynicism. Such attitudes are often grounded in negative life experiences that have caused one to develop a dim lens. It's a very common conditioned response any animal will have to hurtful experiences in order to assist their own self-preservation. Now, perhaps if the distrust and skepticism emerges from a dislike or hatred of all humans I might call that misanthropy, but otherwise? Not so much.

Andras

Maybe you need better friends? You are the only one responsible for who choose to associate with or not.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist

People are primarily self-oriented and focused on fulfilling their own needs and desires. They can occassionally act altruistically and unselfishly when it suits them, and they can also be extremely opportunistic and callous when it suits them. Understand why and how human beings behave, trust them to act in accordance with their needs, and you'll never be disappointed - or caught off guard. It's not pessimistic to view human beings according to their physiological and psychological drives - it's merely realistic and pragmatic.

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Absolutely normal.

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I really don't see simple distrust or skepticism of humans equating to misanthropy. It equates better to paranoia and cynicism. Such attitudes are often grounded in negative life experiences that have caused one to develop a dim lens. It's a very common conditioned response any animal will have to hurtful experiences in order to assist their own self-preservation. Now, perhaps if the distrust and skepticism emerges from a dislike or hatred of all humans I might call that misanthropy, but otherwise? Not so much.

Then perhaps not quite so misanthropic but rather a mixture of paranoia and cynicism, it seems. Hey, as long as it is normal and many other humans are also in the same boat ... then I am a-okay. :p

Maybe you need better friends? You are the only one responsible for who choose to associate with or not.

Haha. It's not about the friends that I have, Mr. Andras. 'Twas just a general question. Apologies for I should have been more specific.

Understand why and how human beings behave, trust them to act in accordance with their needs, and you'll never be disappointed - or caught off guard. It's not pessimistic to view human beings according to their physiological and psychological drives - it's merely realistic and pragmatic.

I find this to be a very realistic suggestion, one that has much plausibility and is fully applicable for implementation.

Absolutely normal.

Yay! :p