• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok to use bad language?

Dreamwolf

Blissful Insomniac
Words are made up to mean a certain thing but the ones we consider "bad" today are no longer held to thier original meaning. It is the emotion put with them that upsets people, although, I will tell you largly I think people make a bigger deal out of it than it really is. I myself used to use profanities quite often but like smoking I saw that, that was not a healthy habit so I quit. Profanities have an effect on your ability to think in a positive way, not because of the word itself or its original meaning, but because of what our society has made them out to mean. Not at all what was intended by the creator of the word.

Faust

In ages gone by, To curse or swear meant exactly that. Words were taken much more seriously and therefore carried more weight or power.Somewhere along the line, to swear or curse became associated with the language of the lower classes.

It would be interesting to research the linguistic origins of our modern "curse" words. Ahh but not enough hours in the day.
Perhaps it would make a good project for some inquisitive member to research and report back to us!
Faust.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
ThisShouldMakeSense said:
I have freinds of various religions, including christian, who quite freely use bad language, swearing, cursing, whatever you want to call it, and think nothing of it.
But is it ok for a christian to use bad language and think of it as something trivial or is it something that is to be avoided. How do you feel?
Those who resorts to the use of bad language are those who can't very well articulate their thoughts, feelings, and opinions; ultimately having to employ vulgarities.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Those who resorts to the use of bad language are those who can't very well articulate their thoughts, feelings, and opinions; ultimately having to employ vulgarities.
I believe, or rather, hope, that I am well able to articulate my thoughts, feelings, and opinions, despite the fact that I utilize "bad" language at times. Often, in fact. I see nothing wrong with the usage of perfectly good adjectives/nouns/verbs.

What, exactly, do you base your "theory" on? Probably anecdotal evidence, or just something you heard once and decided to believe, correct?

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
From personal experiences. The only types of people i've heard use bad language are those who doesn't know how to speak without it and those who are frustrated in the heat of the situation.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Perhaps ignorant (as in "unlearned") people might utilize such words, but then, anyone can use the words. I like to think that I am not totally ignorant, though I swear at times.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
I'm not implying that all who uses the no-no language are idiots. Simply suggesting that from what i've seen and experienced, the two types of people using them are those who grew up with the language and grew so accoustomed to it that they can't speak without it, which i'm not saying is their fault, and those are get caught up in the heat of the moment or get stressed out that they let out some bad words.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Which is not to say that I myself have never cursed. Hell I curse plently of times, but I try not to as best I can. Out of ignorance or frustation, I don't know. Probably both.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Profanity is the lazy man's way to make a point.

Like any other muscle, a brain only gets stronger when you use it. Don't take the short cut.

TrueQ

Lol

Swearing is an integral part of how I speak, people say it just shows you are of lower intelligence and you can't come up with better words. But I say that it simply denotes the level of comfort you have with the people you are around. If you're swearing, it means you know them well enough to not have to worry about offending them. So I usually take it as a term of respect and friendship when people curse around me. It serves a second purpose as well. When in the company of people you don't like it demonstrates the extent to which you don't care about offending them and helps drive them away from your company. Cussing is a versatile and useful form of communication, and people who think it demonstrates lower intelligence can go **** themselves.

However, I do get in huge trouble over swearing every time I'm at someone's home where little kids are around. I was at a cookout a week or so ago, a bunch of huge black dudes were there, and we were all talking and swearing a blue streak. Anyway, the guy whose house we were at had a coupla little brothers (Under 10, I think), and about halfway through the cookout, they got back from wherever it was they were. Now, everyone else immediately stopped with the swearing, but swearing is an integral part of the language I use around friends, so, without even thinking, I kept peppering my sentences with swears. Hilarious situation, we were all laughing our asses off after the kids left.

Although, I have noted that I rarely hear about cookouts before they are over.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
TrueQ said:
Lol

Swearing is an integral part of how I speak, people say it just shows you are of lower intelligence and you can't come up with better words. But I say that it simply denotes the level of comfort you have with the people you are around. If you're swearing, it means you know them well enough to not have to worry about offending them. So I usually take it as a term of respect and friendship when people curse around me. It serves a second purpose as well. When in the company of people you don't like it demonstrates the extent to which you don't care about offending them and helps drive them away from your company. Cussing is a versatile and useful form of communication, and people who think it demonstrates lower intelligence can go **** themselves.

However, I do get in huge trouble over swearing every time I'm at someone's home where little kids are around. I was at a cookout a week or so ago, a bunch of huge black dudes were there, and we were all talking and swearing a blue streak. Anyway, the guy whose house we were at had a coupla little brothers (Under 10, I think), and about halfway through the cookout, they got back from wherever it was they were. Now, everyone else immediately stopped with the swearing, but swearing is an integral part of the language I use around friends, so, without even thinking, I kept peppering my sentences with swears. Hilarious situation, we were all laughing our asses off after the kids left.

Although, I have noted that I rarely hear about cookouts before they are over.
You're entitled to your opinion.

Pah

Uber all member
Druidus said:
... What, exactly, do you base your "theory" on? Probably anecdotal evidence, or just something you heard once and decided to believe, correct?
It's an opinion and one I share since I don't want to appear ignorant

Quote from your post
Perhaps ignorant (as in "unlearned") people might utilize such words

john313

warrior-poet
Peace,
I see nothing wrong with what is considered bad language. they are only words. why were certain words chosen as bad anyway? if i decide that "pickle" is a bad word does that mean i can get offended every time i hear it?
that said, i try not to cuss much because others look down upon it, and it therefore makes them think less of me and what i may say to them. People already don't listen when something comes from a long haired, bearded, hippie looking guy. - even though their prophets generally are depicted with long hair and beards, walking aroung in loose comfortable clothing. seems insane to me :)

Unedited

NetDoc said:
Profanity is the lazy man's way to make a point.

Like any other muscle, a brain only gets stronger when you use it. Don't take the short cut.
Let's put it this way, if I tell someone to *** off, it's not because I can't think of something more clever to say, it's because he doesn't deserve any more. Besides, if a few words can get my meaning across, why should I use twenty? Language evolved around the principal that an idea should be able to come across as efficiently as possible.

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
Perhaps ignorant (as in "unlearned") people might utilize such words
Yes Pah, I did say that. But note the "might". I meant that anyone could use the words.

It's an opinion and one I share since I don't want to appear ignorant
What do you mean "you don't want to appear ignorant"? I've never thought someone ignorant merely because they swear.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I agree with Unedited. Why waste a full sentance and half a breath of air to say something like "Get away from me you stupid idiot" to someone who is annoying you, when you can just say "**** off!" Much quicker and much easier.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Luke Wolf said:
I agree with Unedited. Why waste a full sentance and half a breath of air to say something like "Get away from me you stupid idiot" to someone who is annoying you, when you can just say "**** off!" Much quicker and much easier.
because I prefer to do so.;) - and, I probably would'nt call him stupid.:D

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Luke Wolf said:
Personal or moral principles?