• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to Torture an NPC

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
:facepalm:
A reflection of morality?:facepalm:
They're fake 1s amd 0s of digital information. Abuse, torture and kill to your heart's content.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I 'unno. Back when I was a WoWer, I used to hit on one of the NPCs endlessly(he always rejected my advances). I don't see why not.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Is It Ok to Torment Non-Player Characters in Video Games?

Is it ok that we should sometimes torture NPCs in video games? Does it show is a mirror of our morality?

Are we but NPCs to the Gods above? Being used as pawns and playthings?

I'm not sure. It seems that it would be roughly equivalent to cartoon violence, where "death" is never permanent and the character's "suffering" is seen as relatively brief and transitory.

Start a new game, and the same character who suffered in the last game is brand new, completely oblivious to what happened in the last game.

I guess one could ask the same question regarding games we get tired of, abandon, or delete from our computer.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
:facepalm:
A reflection of morality?:facepalm:
They're fake 1s amd 0s of digital information. Abuse, torture and kill to your heart's content.

What about AGI? Is that nothing but ones and zeroes?

Now it's speculative morality as they don't actually exist.

Last edited:

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I'm not sure. It seems that it would be roughly equivalent to cartoon violence, where "death" is never permanent and the character's "suffering" is seen as relatively brief and transitory.

I don't see death as permanent, I believe in reincarnation. So isn't all our suffering transitory and brief?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't see death as permanent, I believe in reincarnation. So isn't all our suffering transitory and brief?

Not as transitory as Wile E. Coyote. He can fall from a thousand-foot cliff and then come back and be good as new 30 seconds later (and still be the same individual, same lifeform, same memories, etc.).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Not as transitory as Wile E. Coyote. He can fall from a thousand-foot cliff and then come back and be good as new 30 seconds later (and still be the same individual, same lifeform, same memories, etc.).
Or Family Guy. Brain has died many times, including two or three times in the same episode.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If we take a game like Fable, you can massacre town after town with no consequences or no bearing on morality.
But when it comes when it comes to systems that learn and have implications beyond a video game world it gets a bit more tricky. Like one research project that was ended early because humans taught the machine many of our worst aspects.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Since there's no actual pain involved, I don't see it as causing any harm.

On the other hand anyone who would want to might want to look at that and ask themselves what it says about them.