• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to sing the N word?

suncowiam

@Epic Beard Man

I enjoy hip hop, some rap. I especially like the following song:

I groove and sing this to work. There's a line in the song that just flows with music. Possibly, you know what I'm referring to.

So... Is it ok to sing the N word if it's part of media? Of course, there's no intent to be racist. Just enjoying the song and possibly be a bit more involved with the culture?

There are times when I'm just totally enjoying the song and say it, but when I get conscious, I try very hard not to say it.

Also, I watch a lot of stand up and enjoy many Black comedians. Sometimes, I don't catch myself repeating some of the punch lines and they could involve the N word.

What do you think? What are the ethics here? Can I or can I not say it?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
@Epic Beard Man

I groove and sing this to work. There's a line in the song that just flows with music. Possibly, you know what I'm referring to.

So... Is it ok to sing the N word if it's part of media? Of course, there's no intent to be racist. Just enjoying the song and possibly be a bit more involved with the culture?

There are times when I'm just totally enjoying the song and say it, but when I get conscious, I try very hard not to say it.

Also, I watch a lot of stand up and enjoy many Black comedians. Sometimes, I don't catch myself repeating some of the punch lines and they could involve the N word.

If there is no one around to hear you and be offended by it, then I wouldn't worry about it. What you think/say/sing in private isn't anyone's business but your own. Ultimately, what's important is understanding the context and intentions.

Last edited:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
@Epic Beard Man

Is it ok? IMO, that's for you to decide, knowing however, whatever you choose, you will have to deal with the consequences.

james blunt

@Epic Beard Man

Words and word use are subjective , I believe the word ****** has a past . Where does the word come from ?

Could it be slang for a person who originated from Nigeria ?

A Brit is from Britain

A Yank is from America

A rusky is from Russia ....

A Paki is from Pakistan

A ****** could well be from Nigeria .

I think the word is lost in translation ....

Quite surprised the word is bleeped on this forum ..