• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it OK to question other people's beliefs?

anonymous9887

bible reader
As I have been on here for sometime, I have noticed that many a percentage of people done like to be questioned.
First off
1. I like to know what people are basing their ideas on. How do you feel?
2. If they are expressing their opinion to others I call that witnessing, and I believe you put yourself in a position to be questioned. Thoughts?
3. I Also Like To Know if Test HAVE Been run to Validate WHAT An individual Is teaching. Thoughts?
4. How do you handle interchange of faiths?

Last edited:

Kelly of the Phoenix

1. I guess it's interesting. The question is, is it relevant to the conversation?
2. Explanation is not the same thing as selling (which is all I feel evangelism to be). There's a difference between asking Consumer Reports and a car salesman about how a vehicle handles.
3. Have they been run on your beliefs?
4. Learn from the good parts, learn from the bad parts, and pray for the wisdom to pick the good.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
As I have been on here for sometime, I have noticed that many a percentage of people done like to be questioned.
First off
1. I like to know where people are naming their ideas on. How do you feel?
2. If they are expressing their opinion to others I call that witnessing, and I believe you put yourself in a position to be questioned. Thoughts?
3. I Also Like To Know if Test HAVE Been run to Validate WHAT An individual Is teaching. Thoughts?
Rather than answering each of these questions individually, I'm going to just try to respond with an explanation of why I am here on RF, what I hope to accomplish in my dialogues with people of other faiths, and what I expect from them.

I'm a Mormon. I realize that kind of sounds like something you might have seen on a TV commercial or a billboard, but for me, it's a straightforward statement of fact. Of the over 7 billion people in the world today, only about 15.6 million are Mormons (aka Latter-day Saints or 'LDS' for short). That means that only about 2/10th of 1% of the world's population believes as I do. Given that our numbers are so small, I'm sometimes amazed to think that people even know we exist. The thing is, they do know we exist, but most of them are really pretty clueless about what we really believe and why. Oh, there are a lot of resources out there about Mormonism, but relying on them for accurate information is probably about as good an idea as relying on the National Enquirer for accurate information on current events around the world. So, one of the main reasons I'm here is that I want to be a source of reliable information on Mormonism. I want to be someone people can trust to give them straight answers, even when the questions are hard and the issues controversial.

I don't ever proselytize. For one thing, it would be against the rules of the forum to do so. But more than that, I am not comfortable doing so. My own personal convictions of the truthfulness of Mormonism notwithstanding, I fully acknowledge that I can't prove my beliefs to anyone. I remember my dad quoting Dale Carnegie: "A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." People who are drawn to Mormonism will be drawn to it whether I'm around to nudge them on or not. People who are turned off by Mormonism aren't going to change their minds because I tell them they should. Besides, Even though I am completely satisfied and fulfilled by my own religious beliefs, I can appreciate that other people have found a different path -- one that works for them. As a Mormon, I do not feel compelled to convert people to my way of thinking. I'm good with God's time table, and am willing to let things happen as they are meant to happen. Two quotes from LDS leaders express my feelings on that subject very well: "The more you understand about the gospel of Jesus Christ, the more you realize that endings here in mortality really aren't endings at all" and "To believe in God is to know that all the rules will be fair, and that there will be wonderful surprises.”

I love comparing Mormon doctrine to the doctrines of other religions, and I'm always excited to find common ground between people of various faiths. I've seriously been interested in comparative religion, and comparative Christianity in particular, since I was about 12 years old. I don't care what people believe about God. I don't even care whether they believe in God at all. All I care is how they treat me and other people. I have a zero-tolerance policy towards rude people. (Actually, that's not completely true. I usually give people the benefit of the doubt for a while, and try to see if maybe they can learn to be civil despite our disagreements. But at a certain point, I simply conclude that they aren't worth my time. And if they continue to act like jerks, I add them to my ignore list.) I think that for the most part, we're all just doing our best with what we have and ought to be able to enjoy conversing with one another, even if we don't always agree on everything.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hmm.

Can you rephrase this? I don't understand.

Depends. If someone says "Some Catholics are ignorant" I can tolerate that; though, RF gives me the freedom to question their statement. If they said "Catholics are ignorant." Then I find that offensive; because, I was Catholic and I am very much still passionate about their devotion.

If they said "I've seen many Muslim's commit terrorism". Generalization; and, I can handle it. If they said "Muslims are terrorist" I'd like to get where they get that from if they are stating it as a fact. It's hard to base generalized statements on facts because we don't know everything about everyone. It's easy to base it on opinions because we are the only ones who know ourselves more than anyone else via our experiences and otherwise.

Most beliefs I came encountered with (Christianity, Islam, Santeria, Wicca, Pagan, Atheist, and irreligious) people I met in person usually validate their thoughts by experiences and opinions. Rarely I meet anyone who back their beliefs with facts given religion isn't about facts.

If they do not insult other faiths and my own, then interchange is fine.

allfoak

Alchemist
First off

I like to think i am able to see each person as an individual and treat them accordingly.
There are many things i say to some that i would never say to others, despite whether i think i am right or wrong.
Some people are more sensitive to their beliefs being questioned than others.

I love the interchange of faiths, it is rather exhilarating for me to be challenged by what others believe.
I am not afraid of my beliefs being challenged because that is how i came to know what i know.

Life itself, (at the risk of sounding trite), is a challenge, to be afraid to face it is to live a most tragic existence.

Life is full of contrast.
It is all about opposites and bringing them together as one.

Sorry folks,
i know i go on about things sometimes but i can assure you i am preaching to no one.
I am all about diversity and freedom, i just like to share what i know and maybe help someone if i can.

anonymous9887

bible reader
Hmm.

Can you rephrase this? I don't understand.

Depends. If someone says "Some Catholics are ignorant" I can tolerate that; though, RF gives me the freedom to question their statement. If they said "Catholics are ignorant." Then I find that offensive; because, I was Catholic and I am very much still passionate about their devotion.

If they said "I've seen many Muslim's commit terrorism". Generalization; and, I can handle it. If they said "Muslims are terrorist" I'd like to get where they get that from if they are stating it as a fact. It's hard to base generalized statements on facts because we don't know everything about everyone. It's easy to base it on opinions because we are the only ones who know ourselves more than anyone else via our experiences and otherwise.

Most beliefs I came encountered with (Christianity, Islam, Santeria, Wicca, Pagan, Atheist, and irreligious) people I met in person usually validate their thoughts by experiences and opinions. Rarely I meet anyone who back their beliefs with facts given religion isn't about facts.

If they do not insult other faiths and my own, then interchange is fine.
1 I would like to know what people are basing their thoughts from.

anonymous9887

bible reader
I like to think i am able to see each person as an individual and treat them accordingly.
There are many things i say to some that i would never say to others, despite whether i think i am right or wrong.
Some people are more sensitive to their beliefs being questioned than others.

I love the interchange of faiths, it is rather exhilarating for me to be challenged by what others believe.
I am not afraid of my beliefs being challenged because that is how i came to know what i know.

Life itself, (at the risk of sounding trite), is a challenge, to be afraid to face it is to live a most tragic existence.

Life is full of contrast.
It is all about opposites and bringing them together as one.

Sorry folks,
i know i go on about things sometimes but i can assure you i am preaching to no one.
I am all about diversity and freedom, i just like to share what i know and maybe help someone if i can.
I love your response, I like to take life's challenges head on.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Base = foundation; and, ideas = my thoughts on the proper course of action.
I have learned to make Christ my foundation 1 Corinthians 3:11 and I believe I am being taught by him to go HIS way. I realize that I am blind and I need him. He is the one who knows the proper course of action imho.
You may question me. But I know you won't because I am female.
I don't teach. I do like to make corrections though.
I think this is a strange question. I think @Kelly of the Phoenix answered it well.
Learn from the good parts, learn from the bad parts, and pray for the wisdom to pick the good.
Does it mean to change places with another? I do not do that. But I do sometimes try to consider how I might affect someone for good or for bad.
I believe the knowledge of real cause and effect belongs to God alone. In other words, someone might be kind but what I need is tough love. Jehovah knows what is best always. I hardly ever know what is best.

Last edited:

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
First off

1. It's one thing to know, it's another thing to weigh them on the basis of your religion and bring them into the categorization as yours.
2. If God created the universe, who created God? If someone else created God, who created that being?
Questions don't have an end and often people club other faiths and ask them questions from an Abrahamic perspective.
>Who's the God of Buddhism?
>Have the theories of Buddhism been tested out.
The issue is not questioning, it's questioning a piece of meat from which tree it grew up in.
3. You believe that laws of the bible are true and real. You believe that the earth being 6000 years old could be validated.
Isn't it ironic how you ask validation of other faiths?
Just curious.
4. I love to converse about interfaith, but with those with an open mind and not constantly dwell in stories that are proven to be false.
Also one who understands the difference between God and basic laws of the universe

anonymous9887

bible reader
1. It's one thing to know, it's another thing to weigh them on the basis of your religion and bring them into the categorization as yours.
2. If God created the universe, who created God? If someone else created God, who created that being?
Questions don't have an end and often people club other faiths and ask them questions from an Abrahamic perspective.
>Who's the God of Buddhism?
>Have the theories of Buddhism been tested out.
The issue is not questioning, it's questioning a piece of meat from which tree it grew up in.
3. You believe that laws of the bible are true and real. You believe that the earth being 6000 years old could be validated.
Isn't it ironic how you ask validation of other faiths?
Just curious.
4. I love to converse about interfaith, but with those with an open mind and not constantly dwell in stories that are proven to be false.
Also one who understands the difference between God and basic laws of the universe
1. No there is only one way to be rational, and that's that I make predictions to what can be observed, tested, validated, and many other ways of finding it out. If you tell me a whole theory and 0% of it can be validated more than likely I will not believe it.
2. God is infinite. We have to face the fact that by the end of that chain someone had to be infinite. You speak of the spiritual realm, obviously they have things that we cannot comprehend and an infinite being is not out of the question.
3. I have explained both sides of the coin. - It is possible that the earth was made in a period of millions of years being that a day can be an unknown period of time we don't know it was 24 hour days.
- Adam was how old when he was created? He was a man when he was created, so god can do the same thing with his creation as far as age goes.
So 6000 or billions of years is plausible.
What we have to face is that humans have been around for 6000 years. Also the dating methods have made plenty of mistakes.

Subhankar Zac

1. No there is only one way to be rational, and that's that I make predictions to what can be observed, tested, validated, and many other ways of finding it out. If you tell me a whole theory and 0% of it can be validated more than likely I will not believe it.
2. God is infinite. We have to face the fact that by the end of that chain someone had to be infinite. You speak of the spiritual realm, obviously they have things that we cannot comprehend and an infinite being is not out of the question.
3. I have explained both sides of the coin. - It is possible that the earth was made in a period of millions of years being that a day can be an unknown period of time we don't know it was 24 hour days.
- Adam was how old when he was created? He was a man when he was created, so god can do the same thing with his creation as far as age goes.
So 6000 or billions of years is plausible.
What we have to face is that humans have been around for 6000 years. Also the dating methods have made plenty of mistakes.

1. So why even begin such threads?
You believe your belief is truest without evidence, but question the beliefs of others. If you are convinced that what you believe is the truth and ni matter, what evidence says you'll Still hold on to those beliefs.
Sounds like a waste of time.
2. That doesn't make sense because out of all the cultures in the world that define an infinite being, yours is real simply because it's you.
And belief that God spread the word of your text in all the countries which was done by centuries of bloodbath. In a way you are condoning the past atrocities.
3. If hunans have been around for just 6,000 years, what about the still evident bridge from India to Sri Lanka that was constructed by Lord Rama in 5000-7000 BCE?
Also, civilizations since 11,000 years have been unearthed.
Also, chrstisn theory says that the universe is 6000 years old.
Where did the bones of dinosaurs, mammoths, lost species come from?
Also the meteor impact in your own nation in Arizona from 50,000 years ago.
Also genesis says that plants were created without the sun light was created without the sun.
Makes logical sense.
Everything has mistakes but the bible that says plants without Sun can survive?
Excellent!

anonymous9887

bible reader
1. So why even begin such threads?
You believe your belief is truest without evidence, but question the beliefs of others. If you are convinced that what you believe is the truth and ni matter, what evidence says you'll Still hold on to those beliefs.
Sounds like a waste of time.
2. That doesn't make sense because out of all the cultures in the world that define an infinite being, yours is real simply because it's you.
And belief that God spread the word of your text in all the countries which was done by centuries of bloodbath. In a way you are condoning the past atrocities.
3. If hunans have been around for just 6,000 years, what about the still evident bridge from India to Sri Lanka that was constructed by Lord Rama in 5000-7000 BCE?
Also, civilizations since 11,000 years have been unearthed.
Also, chrstisn theory says that the universe is 6000 years old.
Where did the bones of dinosaurs, mammoths, lost species come from?
Also the meteor impact in your own nation in Arizona from 50,000 years ago.
Also genesis says that plants were created without the sun light was created without the sun.
Makes logical sense.
Everything has mistakes but the bible that says plants without Sun can survive?
Excellent!
1. First off I am open. Do I have conviction yes, but I want to hear evidence.
2. Ok that you say because you don't know god. You read something and right away as everybody else does you do not consider the circumstances or the rest of gods word.
3. What's your evidence on the timing?
4.we went there at creation to say what was logical and what wasnt.

Subhankar Zac

1. First off I am open. Do I have conviction yes, but I want to hear evidence.
2. Ok that you say because you don't know god. You read something and right away as everybody else does you do not consider the circumstances or the rest of gods word.
3. What's your evidence on the timing?
4.we went there at creation to say what was logical and what wasnt.

1. "I will never my views no matter what the evidence because evidence outside the bible is faulty, but I still need evidence"
2. Was that supposed to make even the slighest sense.
Bhagavad gita- Older than Christianity by 1000 years
Vedas- Older than the bible by 2500 years
But the bible is the full word of God.
3. On gobleki tepe
The site founded objects that were from nearby settlments carbon-dated to about 9000 BCE.
Even if it did have faults, it could lessen a thousand Years from it.
So, 8000BCE+ 2000 years after AD.
So 10,000 years.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/
Mahabharata took place on Nov 22nd 3067 BCE.
Before it Krishna had 7 more avatara that came to this planet every age. By the western definition of age is 1000 years at least.
So, even to the most tiniest speculation, it has to go at least to 3000+7000 which makes it 11,000 years, plus 2000 years after AD. So 13000 years minimum has to be done.
The great flood of manu occured due to lands been swolen up cuz of the end of the ice age that occured at around the end of 10,000 BCE or so.
So we can bring it down to 10,000 BCE where the flood is believed to have occured.
4. Here we go again:
"Nothing is truth but what I say."

David1967

Premium Member
First off

In answer to the title of this thread: Yes I think it is OK so long as it is done in a respectful manner. Not with the intention of destroying or ridiculing another's belief. When I ask a question to my friends on this forum who are from a different belief than mine it is to learn more about that faith.

anonymous9887

bible reader
1. "I will never my views no matter what the evidence because evidence outside the bible is faulty, but I still need evidence"
2. Was that supposed to make even the slighest sense.
Bhagavad gita- Older than Christianity by 1000 years
Vedas- Older than the bible by 2500 years
But the bible is the full word of God.
3. On gobleki tepe
The site founded objects that were from nearby settlments carbon-dated to about 9000 BCE.
Even if it did have faults, it could lessen a thousand Years from it.
So, 8000BCE+ 2000 years after AD.
So 10,000 years.
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gobekli-tepe-the-worlds-first-temple-83613665/
Mahabharata took place on Nov 22nd 3067 BCE.
Before it Krishna had 7 more avatara that came to this planet every age. By the western definition of age is 1000 years at least.
So, even to the most tiniest speculation, it has to go at least to 3000+7000 which makes it 11,000 years, plus 2000 years after AD. So 13000 years minimum has to be done.
The great flood of manu occured due to lands been swolen up cuz of the end of the ice age that occured at around the end of 10,000 BCE or so.
So we can bring it down to 10,000 BCE where the flood is believed to have occured.
4. Here we go again:
"Nothing is truth but what I say."
Dating methods are just speculation, because they were not there.