• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok to convert someone

Most people would be unhappy about it unless they had first shown some interest in joining a new faith. There is also a difference between discussing religions and their teachings and specifically trying to convert someone. If someone shows no interest, best leave them be.

I wouldn't recommend concerted attempts as you are far more likely to damage your relationship with someone than you are to actually convert them.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it's totally uncool to approach someone to proselytize and attempt to convert them by making the first move. If someone asks me about my beliefs I'll be happy to explain. There are a few humorous Heathen memes about proselytizing, which we don't do.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

( :D Cats and goats pull the chariots of Freyja and Thor, respectively)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Do whatever is in accord with your own sense of honor and virtue. If you're acting against your own sense of honor, that's not okay. If you're in keeping with it, that's okay. Other people will disagree with what you do either way, so you might as well be true to yourself.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is it ok to try convert people or is violating their rights of privacy?

It depends. Like when I was converted to Catholicism, it wasn't overnight. I took almost ten years before I personally said yes. They let me get a feel of the faith. JW I know are the same. They did a lot of study with me and showed me the differences (and truthfullness they say) of their faith compared to my former and others. However, they did more study like conversion and inviting me to their meeting and conferences. They allowed me to say no, that's the key.

I dont like the word converting in regards to faith. Maybe sharing your faith with another. Studying, maybe. Asking if they want to hear what you have to say. Thinking outside the box. Things like that.

cambridge79

it depends how it is done and if it's done with the proper respect.
If you force your religion over someone in any way is always bad ( for example if a nation makes laws against some religion or to promote some religion, or religion driven, or if you say something like "i love you but i won't marry you until you join my religion" )
if you do it with the proper respect i don't see the bad in it, the other guy is always free to say "no thanks".
Also if he clearly is not interested you better drop it, remember you have not 100% proofs that your religion is the true religion so it would be pointless to insist that someone who is not interested join something that you can't even be 100% sure is actually true.

I think debating religions, like we do here, is always wellcome. Converting should be something to keep only for those who are interested.

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
I like to learn about each person's individual's faith. I am not a Christian, but I've done a lot of things with Christians that would suggest otherwise. There is a good chance that in learning about someone's faith it will feel like someone is trying to proselytize me. I don't think most people care enough about religion to give a rat's ***. The people in this forum are an exception to the rule.

cambridge79

I like to learn about each person's individual's faith. I am not a Christian, but I've done a lot of things with Christians that would suggest otherwise. There is a good chance that in learning about someone's faith it will feel like someone is trying to proselytize me. I don't think most people care enough about religion to give a rat's ***. The people in this forum are an exception to the rule.

average people cares about religion only when someone dies, or when someone is ill or when they go trough a period of struggle. Rest of the time they just pretend. Europe is full of christians, U.S.A. is full of christians, south america is full of christians. How many of them are offering shelter to refugees in their personal homes? Isn't that what christ would like them to do? You always see beggars outside churches and people coming out of the mass pretending not to see them.

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
average people cares about religion only when someone dies, or when someone is ill or when they go trough a period of struggle. Rest of the time they just pretend. Europe is full of christians, U.S.A. is full of christians, south america is full of christians. How many of them are offering shelter to refugees in their personal homes? Isn't that what christ would like them to do? You always see beggars outside churches and people coming out of the mass pretending not to see them.

I think the third amendment of the US Constitution nullified that argument.

Kelly of the Phoenix

I personally feel it would be better to leave conversion to the individual wanting it and the deities involved. In terms of real Christianity meaning people need to take in refugees, my opinion is that we should not play one-up-manship. Acting like someone living in a tiny apartment or house should be inviting more people in is less reasonable than thinking someone with lots of spare rooms and resources should do it. Same thing with food kitchens and the like. I think life would be much better if we all accept that everyone should give what they have, not what someone thinks is some kind of "gold standard". I think this is, in part, why Jesus told us "the eye cannot say to the hand, 'I don't need you'". It doesn't matter what religion (if any) a person is, if we all work together and split up the to-do list so that those who have give what they've got, suffering will decrease immensely.

cambridge79

I think the third amendment of the US Constitution nullified that argument.

#1 isn't that intended only for soldiers? i'm talking about refugees here. Women, childrens, elders....

#2 why would a german christian care about what the u.s constitution says?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You can't convert another person, no matter how hard you try. The best one can do is to tell them about their faith, and most people won't talk about their faith with someone who refuses to hear about it. Is it against a person's privacy to try and tell them about your favorite tv show? No. Is it wrong to tell someone that a certain food is/is not good for you? No. It might be a little bit rude to tell someone ANYTHING that they really don't want to hear about.