• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ok for a Christian to venerate Images?

Todd

Rajun Cajun
To get more modern with images and idols, what about money, cars, and material possessions (which fall under greed). I know I have fallen to this before (specifically with cars). I know it is not intentional worship, but many times Christians put some of these before God. Below is what the bible mentions regarding this. Don't mean to offend anyone just thought this verse somewhat explains what the bible says.

Colossians 3:5 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

Todd

Rajun Cajun
johnnys4life said:
Umm, what about the angel statues in the Old Testament in the temples? Obviously making an image is not ALWAYS a sin, because God commanded it. The people never worshipped the statues, but they were there.
That is a good perspective. I don't think creating an image is necessarily bad, it's just the worship, of that image that would be the problem.

Specifically what comes to mind when you mentioned this, is the Ark of the Covenant. On the Ark, there were fasioned two angels one on each side. The Ark was the most sacred part of the Tabernacle, and they had figures on it (although they weren't worshipped). This of course was permitted as well as many other statues and figures.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Exactly. We don't like to think of ourselves as idol worshippers, but if God told you to get rid of your car for him, would you do it?

We may not be bowing down to golden calfs or anything, but we might just be spending a wee bit too much time say, watching football games o, typing on our computers.;)

If you haven't read the Bible in 6 months, and yet you're on the forums every day, you may have a slight problem...

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
johnnys4life said:
Exactly. We don't like to think of ourselves as idol worshippers, but if God told you to get rid of your car for him, would you do it?

We may not be bowing down to golden calfs or anything, but we might just be spending a wee bit too much time say, watching football games o, typing on our computers.;)

If you haven't read the Bible in 6 months, and yet you're on the forums every day, you may have a slight problem...
Don't you think that being on the forum, talking about your faith could be seen as 'atonement' for not reading the Bible ? - I have learned so much since I have been here, and yet I feel I have hardly touched the surface...........:(

Todd,

your ...."To get more modern with images and idols, what about money, cars, and material possessions (which fall under greed). I know I have fallen to this before (specifically with cars). I know it is not intentional worship, but many times Christians put some of these before God. Below is what the bible mentions regarding this. Don't mean to offend anyone just thought this verse somewhat explains what the bible says."

I think that is a very valid point - and one I often think about, as it happens. Perhaps I am lucky though; I had a poor salary from my Banking career, and my wife never worked after the birth of our children, until they were of an age to look after themselves fully. The benefit of that was that we never had the money to 'keep up with the Jones's' - now that we are 'comfortable' - we are not that worried about the cars, the TV's, holidays - I guess being frugal becomes a way of life - and a hard habit from which to break away!:)

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I agree Michel...I have learned a lot about religion since joining as well. I just think there is more to being a Christian.