• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it most useful tool of comarative religions?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is it most useful tool of comparative religions?

Nobody suggested any other tool of comparative religions. That suggests that there is none other. Right? Please

Regards

Observation, patience, interest, and motivation. @Quintessence just mentioned one I forgot in my post, Listening.

If you'd like to compare religions, then finding the Truth would be finding no needle in a haystack. Whose Truth? A lot of us don't believe in how you define truth; so, maybe discuss how we see truth (trying not to base it on other people's definitions) and discuss the similarities and differences of each.

Another tool is an interest to learn from others.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Indeed. The two most offensive words on the planet are 'You should ...." when it's totally unsolicited.

I don't know. Personally, I'd rank character misrepresentation above that. Folks telling us we "should" do this, that, or the other thing can more or less be easily dismissed. Folks insisting we intended something we did not, said something we did not, are something that we are not... are much more difficult to deal with.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Jainarayan ji

Someone has to fight the misrepresentations of Hinduism that are being perpetrated.

with all due respects what do you think I have been doing here for the past five years ???? ....trying to maintain a BALLANCED PERSPECTIVE, ....rather than a one sided veiw , ....I dont descriminate between other sects or rule out the possibility that all religions Contain the same truths if one searches for them with a sincere heart , ....this I belive is more ballanced than the one sided and often fancifull idea of Hinduism that some seem to have gleaned from wickipedia , not that there is anything wrong with wickipedia as a colection of information , but when it comes to Vedic wisdom it can only be taught by a true Guru otherwise the wisdom is incomplete , ......

and to answer your question again from a different perspective .....

Someone has to fight the misrepresentations of Hinduism that are being perpetrated.

yes true , ...someone has to fight but he has to be fully qualified , .... to fight fairly he must be un attatched to the result , therefore he must be capable of imparciality , ....therefore he canot pre suppose another persons motives and attack what he perceives to be the enemy with harsh words and ridicule , ......he can only defend by showing Knowledge and wisdom , ..... only the foolish and fearfull fight by means of constant ridicule and intimidation .

ratikala

Istha gosthi
Namaskaram Quintessence ji

I don't know. Personally, I'd rank character misrepresentation above that. Folks telling us we "should" do this, that, or the other thing can more or less be easily dismissed. Folks insisting we intended something we did not, said something we did not, are something that we are not... are much more difficult to deal with.

Jai Jai , ...Agreed , .....''Folks insisting we intended something we did not, said something we did not, are something that we are not...''
such folk are not doing the one thing you wisely suggested earlier on in this thread , ...that is ''Listening'' assuming that you know what another is saying or what another represents is dangerous , it is the stuff that starts wars , ....

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yes, that too. Indifference translated into hatred. But if only a certain line of sight is available, that's 'natural' too.

Satyamavejayanti

The revealed religions must quote claim and reason on an issue from the revealed scripture they believe in. The non-revealed religions, if they have any canonized scripture, must also do the same. The non-religion people must quote from a text book of science or from a peer-reviewed article published in a religion of repute for the claims and reasons on an issue.

Is it fair and useful to know the Truth? Please

Thread open to everybody. Please
Regards

Namaste,

What you suggest is not really useful as a comparison tool, comparison is usually between 2 claims (in the context of religion), so if we are comparing for e.g: Hinduism and Islam, the claims are to be compared not where the claim is made or who makes the claims, this information can be provided but is not essential for comparing the claim itself.

I would suggest if one wants to compare, one must compare "Apples for Apples", as claims that are not similar or matching are harder to compared equally, for e.g: the claim of re-incarnation is incompatible with the claim of one life with a eternal afterlife, therefore the comparison is fruitless. This "Apples for Apples", comparison should at least have a more precise outcome of knowledge.

If we are to compare 2 different claims, then IMO the reason, purpose, intent, methods can be compared for e.g: What is the reason, purpose, intent & method of re-incarnation VS what is the reason, purpose, intent & method of one life and eternal afterlife. But even this is not going to give us a fair comparison, but is useful none the less with a somewhat reasonable outcome.

Providing "quotes and reason", from books (revealed texts, canonized texts, Peer-reviewed texts ect) is not the only valid means of ascertaining the Truth, Direct Perception, Inference and Authority combined together are most "fair", and useful means of understanding a Truth Claim.

arthra

Baha'i
The revealed religions must quote claim and reason on an issue from the revealed scripture they believe in. The non-revealed religions, if they have any canonized scripture, must also do the same. The non-religion people must quote from a text book of science or from a peer-reviewed article published in a religion of repute for the claims and reasons on an issue.

Regards

I think it's possible to have harmony between revealed religions and scientific findings or discoveries that can relate to the subjects at hand. What's required is a recognition that religion can be open to the findings of science and science can by guided by ethical and moral guidelines found in religion.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
The Baha'i Faith is very different to other Faiths in one way and that is there is an answer that can usually be given direct from scripture on just about every topic thinkable within reason.

We don't have priests, clergy or interpreters so you will often find that when a person asks a question a Baha'i can give a direct quote from Bahá'í scripture as if the question was answered by Baha'u'llah Himself or His Successor Abdul-Baha or Shoghi Effendi.

We rarely need to give commentaries at all.

Akivah

Regards

For what reason does one need to compare religions?

As you said that there is no compulsion in religious beliefs, then how can you be against a person being satisfied with beliefs that differ from yours?