• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it immoral for athletes to use the field as a pulpit?

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
I was talking with my friend about Tim Tebow. He preaches almost any time he's interviewed and in college, wrote "John 3:16" on the black patches under his eyes.

Is it okay for someone in his position to preach religion?

What if the tables were turned and an atheist was preaching his message? Is it still okay?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I was talking with my friend about Tim Tebow. He preaches almost any time he's interviewed and in college, wrote "John 3:16" on the black patches under his eyes.

Of course it is.
Whenever one is spreading the word of their god, there are no rules, limits, etc.
They are free to lie, cheat, slander, whatever as long as it is in the name of their god.

For innumerable examples, please see any creation vs evolution thread.

What if the tables were turned and an atheist was preaching his message? Is it still okay?
Hell no.
Cannot allow any heathen blasphemers to say anything that might hurt the fragile feelings of their god.

lol, thats a good point.

I think its fine. But it depends on which sport, I think. If it is a UFC fight or a boxing match, then I don't think its appropriate. Because what they are praying for is that God supports them so they can beat up another human being, which isnt right. That also doesn't sound like something a good god would do.

not nom

not immoral, just embarrassing... using a pulpit for athletics on the under hand... that'd be just wrong.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think its just silly. Obviously someone on the losing side was also praying to win. So in games, God answers exactly half the prayers.

But I have no real problem with it either, other than it seems to be an attempt to take advantage of your position.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I'd say it's more annoying than immoral. I have no real issue with it, as long as they don't talk on and on. Say a few words and get it over with. That's my view.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member

I think we should just get over it. It would not bother me what anyone wanted to do as long as they don't p-tize.

They should be able to express themselves any way they like.

A

angellous_evangellous

I think that it's fine.

If professional athletes were not allowed to say or do stupid things, we wouldn't have very many.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd say it's more annoying than immoral. I have no real issue with it, as long as they don't talk on and on. Say a few words and get it over with. That's my view.

^ Word. It's the preachiness that grates on my nerves, but it's not immoral.

However, I do have a problem with (public) school, municipal or any government functions invoking a specific God and prayers. I have no problem with "God Bless America" or "In God We Trust" because it's a non-denominational God being referred to (as long as it stays that way). Even Hindus use the word "God".

Twig pentagram

High Priest

I think it's cheesy but it's cool with me.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !

Since we are suppose to be living in a country that gives us the freedom of speech I believe we are entitled to say whatever we wish, if someone doesn't like it they can just ignore it....I try to listen to everyone's point of view but that doesn't mean I agree with it...I don't let it affect me one way or the other.

Most people don't believe in Santa but they don't consider it a life altering thing if he is vocal with his ho ho's.

jonnychan

This is a good thread.

The thing about atheists and deists is, we usually don't like to associate ourselves in mobs or groups, which is the "good" feature of us. That is why Tim Tebow's eye black containing bible verses never caused any controversy. Obviously if an atheist football player paints "Jesus sucks" on his eye black, there will be a controversy because of the mob mentality of Christians.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
This is a good thread.

The thing about atheists and deists is, we usually don't like to associate ourselves in mobs or groups, which is the "good" feature of us. That is why Tim Tebow's eye black containing bible verses never caused any controversy. Obviously if an atheist football player paints "Jesus sucks" on his eye black, there will be a controversy because of the mob mentality of Christians.
And if someone painted "atheism sucks" there would also be contraversy.

WanderLust

Inquisitive One
I guess "immoral" isn't the word, annoying is better. I think it's a bit of abuse of power though. Tebow has to know kids look up to him, he's one of the most well-known football stars today. In his position, his word has a lot of weight with impressionabe minds. That's my issue with it, he seemms to be preaching more than just speaking.

In general, there is a double standard. If an atheist put "Atheist" or "Faithless" on his eye black, he'd be attacked left and right and those words are neutral, not even negative toward religion. Tim Tebow in a post-game interview said his victory was due to his "Lord and savior Jesus Christ". If an atheist stated his victory was due to his team's hard work because no divine influence exists, he would be crucified.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Looking at your average athlete these days, I actually thinks it's nice to see one who tries to embody some kind of positive image and perspective. With all the criminals and thugs who get away with whatever they want, and get rewarded, I really don't have much of a complaint about a guy who seems pretty wholesome and sincere, if a bit hokey.

no-body

I guess "immoral" isn't the word, annoying is better. I think it's a bit of abuse of power though. Tebow has to know kids look up to him, he's one of the most well-known football stars today. In his position, his word has a lot of weight with impressionabe minds. That's my issue with it, he seemms to be preaching more than just speaking.

In general, there is a double standard. If an atheist put "Atheist" or "Faithless" on his eye black, he'd be attacked left and right and those words are neutral, not even negative toward religion. Tim Tebow in a post-game interview said his victory was due to his "Lord and savior Jesus Christ". If an atheist stated his victory was due to his team's hard work because no divine influence exists, he would be crucified.

I think a better example would be a satanist painting "satan" on their eye black and saying "hail satan" after winning every game he would be accused of attacking Christianity, called immoral and dropped like a hot potato by the team and all the sponsors for no real reason.

There is nothing wrong per se about this athlete using his profession as a pulpit, even though it is technically inappropriate. It comes down to just highlighting the annoyance with the Christian element in the U.S. and their hypocrisy, because they complain shrilly they have to be humored and pandered to lest the self entitled outrage affect sales.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It comes down to just highlighting the annoyance with the Christian element in the U.S. and their hypocrisy, because they complain shrilly they have to be humored and pandered to lest the self entitled outrage affect sales.

The thing is that, while the US is not a Christian country, it is a country of Christians. They are the majority.

I agree that an athlete who converted to Hinduism (especially a white guy), for example, prostrates himself on the field and chants "Om namaha Shivaya!" ("prostrations/salutations to Shiva!") or "Krishnastu Bhagavan Svayam!" ("Krishna is God Himself!") would be ragged on and laughed off the field. That would also apply to the aforementioned atheist, or satanist or pagan, or... And it would be by those who claim to follow one who said judge no one. Go figure. :shrug:

not nom

Looking at your average athlete these days, I actually thinks it's nice to see one who tries to embody some kind of positive image and perspective.

to me that would be an athlete who doesn't talk, and when interviewed glares at the reporter and says "wtf are you even doing here.. are there no real news to report? go expose some corrupt politicians or something, but let me run around in circles in peace." and if the journalist doesn't go away, they'd use their physical prowess to make them.

^ that I could respect. for anything below that I don't have the time of day.

Photonic

Ad astra!

I think this sums up my feelings for this ...thing.

5w0mQ.jpg