• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it hard for God to be creative?

amorphous_constellation

So assuming that human qualities are proportionally analogous to those of god, and considering how they might struggle to create the artful things they envision, how hard then, are creative acts for the divine? How hard was it to shape the gazelle or the emu? To add contour to the earth or the ocean floor? Of what decorative purpose are the billions of blankly gaseous or desert worlds, are they like sketches on scratch paper? Is man to give a 'rating' to the quality he sees in god's creation, is he allowed to declare that he thinks certain types of trees, or fish, or mountain views are dull? Or are all the all the created works by god meant to be perceived as exemplary, and most perfect for the sense to behold

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So assuming that human qualities are proportionally analogous to those of god, and considering how they might struggle to create the artful things they envision, how hard then, are creative acts for the divine? How hard was it to shape the gazelle or the emu? To add contour to the earth or the ocean floor? Of what decorative purpose are the billions of blankly gaseous or desert worlds, are they like sketches on scratch paper? Is man to give a 'rating' to the quality he sees in god's creation, is he allowed to declare that he thinks certain types of trees, or fish, or mountain views are dull? Or are all the all the created works by god meant to be perceived as exemplary, and most perfect for the sense to behold
Gods only need to think what they want to created, and it become created.
Humans beings can do too, but because of our buddy mind the ability to created by thought has been blocked for us in this physical realm.
If humans could created by thought we would kill each other as soon our mind thought a negative thought toward someone.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Sure, but what about the act of first building a concept in the workshop of his mind. He still needs to do the work of thinking of something to create, for it to be created
I do not think we can use human thinking to understand how a God would make things happen :) human login and thought dont work the same as in a heaven. Totally different rules in heaven and on Earth.

amorphous_constellation

I do not think we can use human thinking to understand how a God would make things happen :) human login and thought dont work the same as in a heaven. Totally different rules in heaven and on Earth.

So the concept of 'thinking,' as we think of it, might not be the way he initially generates anything

We do, but that doesn't mean that the qualities of our respective creativeness match.

That's why I posited using the 'proportionally analogous' caveat, where we would be on the lesser side of the proportion, though we be of a similar nature, hence the 'image of god' clause. Though, perhaps what I wrote is unclear or logically incorrect somehow

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So the concept of 'thinking,' as we think of it, might not be the way he initially generates anything

That's why I posited using the 'proportionally analogous' caveat, where we would be on the lesser side of the proportion, though we be of a similar nature, hence the 'image of god' clause. Though, perhaps what I wrote is unclear or logically incorrect somehow
All i say is that human thinking is limited, a Gods thinking is not limited

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
Considering He created something from nothing, I'd say there's certainly a difference in His and our creative abilities. Our creativity is based off of memory mixing and matching past things we've seen. He didn't see past things as He came before everything.

amorphous_constellation

Considering He created something from nothing, I'd say there's certainly a difference in His and our creative abilities. Our creativity is based off of memory mixing and matching past things we've seen. He didn't see past things as He came before everything.

Hm.. well I often have learned various things by imitation, but then I wonder if there are some things I can 'originate' as well. Maybe not in a way scaled up to God's level, but maybe in a way guided by the sub-teleological abilities that might grace a reflection / image of God.. No one has painted like Dali, and no one after him will. No one will reproduce the guitar licks of a Jerry Garcia or David Gilmour, and no one played many of them before those figures came to exist . A purer animal operates only off of instinct, but man seems to lay out his own roads. In other words, maybe man goes beyond the thought of plato and aristotle, of platonic forms or aristotelian imitation, and can actually generate things for himself on some level

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
it may have been difficult

He quit after six days

hehehehe

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Doesn't anybody ever look into the deep vast void of space and wonder if all those toxic, obnoxious, gaseous entities are NOT the work of creation? I mean that is at the least, very believable.

amorphous_constellation

Doesn't anybody ever look into the deep vast void of space and wonder if all those toxic, obnoxious, gaseous entities are NOT the work of creation? I mean that is at the least, very believable.

I wonder how many theists might think that much of it was randomly generated by god, considering how vast and extensive all that stuff out there is.. Like did God use his software to generate every nook and cranny on every asteroid in the asteroid belt, or did he just hit the 'randomly generate' button at some point