1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it ethical for a single person to have children?

Discussion in 'Family and Personal Living' started by Veyl, May 15, 2022.

1. Veyl

Veyl Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Religion:
    Magic
    Curious as to people's thoughts on this. I don't really have a desire for children, but if it ever developed, this would be my only avenue for it. Hence questions of morality came to mind.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +35,594
    Religion:
    Love/Omnism
    I don't see it as a moral issue. If you can care for a child adequately, then you've also answered a practical question. And if I were you, I'd want to talk with single parents about the challenges involved as well.

• Like Like x 4
  3. JustGeorge

JustGeorge Unknown Member
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +18,100
    Religion:
    Hindu
    I think its more difficult to raise a child on one's own(been there, done that). I don't really see it as immoral, though. I guess it would depend on one's morality(which only an individual can answer).

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Lord of Animals
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +15,719
    Religion:
    Druid
    I don't think it's immoral to have kids outside of wedlock. I think it's actually fairly normal.

5. Nimos

Nimos Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,117
    I know one that raised/raising two on her own through inseminations, it have never crossed my mind whether that was an issue or not in regards to morality. I mean the children seem happy enough, so don't see an issue with it personally.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dan From Smithville

Dan From Smithville Out of a hat and into the blue.

Ratings:
    +14,741
    Religion:
    Christian
    Happy Birthday!

I don't know of any ethical issues that come to mind. It seems perfectly ethical to me and often is something that actually takes place.

I think the main issues would be those of practicality. Time, resources, etc.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. RayofLight

RayofLight Pronouns: they/them/their thon/thons/thonself

Ratings:
    +7,862
    Religion:
    Pagan Witch and Demonolatrist
    I don't see an issue

8. Altfish

Altfish Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +12,638
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Why not? So long as you can give the child a loving environment, it is fine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Valjean

Valjean Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,164
    Religion:
    Vedanta (reform)
    "Single person?" This is nitpicking. The question is, is it moral for anyone to have children?
    What is the projected carbon footprint of a child in your region, born today?
    What is the carrying capacity of this planet, at current rates of human resource usage?

Morality is a question of harm. Think about it....

• Like Like x 1
  10. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Northern scum

Ratings:
    +12,922
    Religion:
    zen
    I believe the quality of parenting matters the most, rather than the number of sources of it.
    And happy birthday!

11. Secret Chief

Secret Chief Northern scum

Ratings:
    +12,922
    Religion:
    zen
    Is the OP asking about marriage?

12. Brickjectivity

Brickjectivity Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.

Ratings:
    +15,754
    Religion:
    liber-scripta grim Christian
    If you struggle with negative feelings, are poor, don't have friends and family or have trouble relating to people then you may want to consider not having a child as a single parent.

Technically it is relatively moral to rear a child, but you could still suck as a parent which could erase a lot of that...but not all of it. To exist is a gift. Now think about the best life a person can have. You could potentially start someone on their way to that! You could help start a great person on their way. On the other hand you could cause them to have crippling deficits that they will never be able to cope with. The positives outweigh the negatives. The cost to you will be high, but the benefits could also be high.

No parent is perfectly well rounded. Not only this but you can rarely see your own weaknesses as a parent. Smart parents get together with other parents, set play dates, have regular visits, talk about schools and problems that parents have, take turns babysitting etc.

13. Hermit Philosopher

Hermit Philosopher Selflessly here for you

Ratings:
    +896
    Hi @Veyl

Personally, I’d ask whether it’s ethical to voice an opinion on someone else having/ not having children, full stop.

Humbly
    Hermit

• Creative Creative x 1
  14. Aštra’el

Aštra’el Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

Ratings:
    +1,360
    Religion:
    The ideal situation involves the child being raised by a father and mother who love and respect them and work hard to provide opportunities for them, who exist as a positive influence in their children’s lives, and can provide a roof over their heads and food on the table, and teach them to survive and adapt in a harsh yet beautiful world.

That won’t always be the case unfortunately… but if a single parent puts their heart into being the best father or mother they can be then I have nothing negative to say about it.

15. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ratings:
    +19,422
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    My only worry would be latchkey children.

Isolation is not a good situation in general if there is no parent around to watch over the kid.

• Useful Useful x 2
  16. Koldo

Koldo Incredible Member

Ratings:
    +2,271
    Depends on what exactly you mean.
    Do you mean as in donor insemination?

If you mean donor insemination, then it depends on whether you have a backup plan (and if others are going to get along with it) in case you happen to die before your children reach adulthood. This is generally a concern that most parents that don't need to have since it is quite rare for both of them to die early on. You would need to be able provide for your children economically all by yourself so it is definitely a bad idea if you are not well off in your life.

17. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care

Ratings:
    +30,290
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Two questions:

1. Is it moral to have children?

Given how overpopulation is affecting our planet, is having children something that we should be doing?

The answer to this depends on a lot of factors, including what sort of education and values you intend to instill in the new person.

2. Is it moral for a single person to have a child?

For some, there is no choice. If there was a partner, and that partner died or left, leaving a single person to raise the child. It can be done. It is even done frequently. It alone has no moral stain.

So the question is whether it is moral for someone *initially* single to enter into raising a child.

I would say that it depends on the energy level, the resources, the network of friends, etc. It also means the child is more likely to become an orphan. So simply being responsible means these issues need to be thought through and dealt with.

After that, I see no further moral issue.

#17 Polymath257, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Winner Winner x 2
  18. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +9,353
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    Best wishes for your birthday

IMHO:

Ethical or not "for you", is none of my business. You were given your life and are now totally free to do with it as you like, and need not even worry about what others say/fantasize about it

And to cancel concerns others might have:
    1) Your child might solve climate problems
    2) (s)he might solve...all they come up with

Age 10 I knew "I never want to marry, nor get children". Was easy and clear to me. But even with my decision others found faults and told me...You are egoistic, you can't know that now, life is full of surprises. They were all wrong, I just knew...age 10

In short: you know what is best for you, of all the 8 billion people "only you know", all other humans fall in the category "believers" if they think to know what you should do, even Atheists:D, whether they like it or not, but usually they are way to smart, hence they won't tell you what you should (not) do, Theists might tell you though:D

( :)So, I probably managed in 1 line to make sure to get zero frubals on this one)

#18 stvdv, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Veyl

Veyl Member

Ratings:
    +23
    Religion:
    Magic
    Thank you all for your feedback. I suppose to some degree it was a matter of overthinking the matter.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  20. rational experiences

rational experiences Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +498
    Religion:
    spiritualist
    If a single adult asked it then a single child is without a guardian parent love kindness and care. As a question gets answered by another question...should any child be without love and adult guidance?