• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it enough to believe?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
When we look at the major religions specially the abrahamic religions the norm today is it is enough to belive in God or Jesus to get to heaven. But it is really that easy?

In most Asian religion the teachings say do this (the there are guidelines) and you will see progress, and if you do really well you reach enlightenment ( you must walk the path you self, not just get taken up by Buddha or Shiva if you belive in them)

Should humans not do their best to do what the religion say "they should do" instead of just Yes i belive and now i go to heaven?

I do not judge anyone who do have the belief of "now i belive then i go to heaven" I only ask the question because i not sure i understand how it would be possible.

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
The title should be spelled, 'believe' to be grammatically correct... BTW. ;)

In my opinion. :innocent:

wizanda

Premium Member
When we look at the major religions specially the abrahamic religions the norm today is it is enough to belive in God or Jesus to get to heaven. But it is really that easy?
If we study the religious texts, it is never that simple...

Tho we can show where the ideas of believing in jesus exist in the false texts of the Bible (John, Paul and Simon); there is still requirements even in what they set out to follow.

Same happens in the Quran, tho a Muslim can believe in Muhammad thinking it will bring salvation; they are still required to follow a form of the Dharma.

So a Christian (Paul, John, & Simon) must still be charitable (Karma Yoga), practise devotion (Bhakti Yoga), have a mind of Christ (Raja Yoga), and overall have a method of connection to the Divine to be Saved (Tantra Yoga).... Even if it is limited in comparison to all forms of Yoga.

Islam has similar: Zakat (Karma Yoga), Prayers (Salat) - which is to be connected all day in non directional Bhakti Yoga, though the Quran taught to meditate on divine things, not all Muslims practise Jnana Yoga... Again a limited method (Tantra) in comparison.

To enter a state of Nirvana (0neness - Heaven) One must be Zero; so tho the religious texts taught selflessness, and altruism, many don't see that is the ultimate goal, as they don't study the whole.

Thus their own ego limits them with one eye closed (Antichrist metaphor in each Abrahmic texts) to see the greater perspective; thus they can't be saved whilst they are ignoring Oneness through ego.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If we study the religious texts, it is never that simple...

Tho we can show where the ideas of believing in jesus exist in the false texts of the Bible (John, Paul and Simon); there is still requirements even in what they set out to follow.

Same happens in the Quran, tho a Muslim can believe in Muhammad thinking it will bring salvation; they are still required to follow a form of the Dharma.

So a Christian (Paul, John, & Simon) must still be charitable (Karma Yoga), practise devotion (Bhakti Yoga), have a mind of Christ (Raja Yoga), and overall have a method of connection to the Divine to be Saved (Tantra Yoga).... Even if it is limited in comparison to all forms of Yoga.

Islam has similar: Zakat (Karma Yoga), Prayers (Salat) - which is to be connected all day in non directional Bhakti Yoga, though the Quran taught to meditate on divine things, not all Muslims practise Jnana Yoga... Again a limited method (Tantra) in comparison.

To enter a state of Nirvana (0neness - Heaven) One must be Zero; so tho the religious texts taught selflessness, and altruism, many don't see that is the ultimate goal, as they don't study the whole.

Thus their own ego limits them with one eye closed (Antichrist metaphor in each Abrahmic texts) to see the greater perspective; thus they can't be saved whilst they are ignoring Oneness through ego.

I am agree with your post here, But what you describe is what was supposed to be done as a follower,But when we look at todays religious people, many (not everyone) do believe it is enough to just belive. This is what i struggle to understand, if the scripture do say the followers must work hard to realize the words and teaching of the God or Gods in that religion, where did that get lost in translation toward todays believers? If it has been lost i mean.

I can only speak out from my own understanding of the different religions, and ofcourse i might have missed some very important scriptures that actually explain it

wizanda

Premium Member
Breathe deeply, and Om. ;)
if the scripture do say the followers must work hard to realize the words and teaching of the God or Gods in that religion, where did that get lost in translation toward todays believers?
It wasn't lost, it is a systematic test; as saying Yeshua in the Synoptic Gospels still sits there teaching Dharma; external to Christianity (John, Paul, Simon) or Islam (Muhammad) to see if some come to the middle line.

There is also a systematic deception as some people are Adhamic, that tho Yeshua taught works (Karma Yoga) & repentance (Kirya Yoga) for salvation; many take the shortcuts presented in additional texts, as it is a label (ego) driven society.

Like I've spent 15 years now debating all religions online, where Muslims and Christians are some of the most undisciplined rude people, as they don't maintain these basic essentials...

Yet it has always been this way, we can look in any texts, and see the same transmitted by Krishna, that people are arrogant, and lazy; they'd rather serve self, than question the higher ideal, as that seems like an effort - When the only way to enlightenment, is to learn to enjoy the climb of ascension, in all obstacles that reality may send us.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I don't really care about about your 'critique'.

What does your commentary have to do with my beliefs? You arent some expert, doesn't even seem like you know the basics.
I have no intention to critique your belief, and no i am no expert. But is it not allowed to ask question?
I thought this was a forum where it was ok to ask question. But you do not need to answer if you dont want.

Remté

Well if someone says just because they believe or belong to a certain religion they go to heaven my impression is they don't believe in heaven or hell. They don't really care.

I think that even though the Quran places a lot of importance on what a believer should do, the most central about that message is that a person must believe in the hereafter. They must understand that it is real. Since the Quran is perfectly clear in what is required for it and God is merciful. If one tries sincerely they will succeed in receiving the grace and mercy of God. If they fail it is for lack of belief.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Nothing wrong with that, except you presented a premise, and an argument.
I know enough about the bible that there are sometimes contadictory verses there when it comes to how to get to heaven, But one that stuck in my mind is that " it is more difficult for a human being to go to paradise then it is for a camel to go thru the eye of a needle. so it kind of sound really really difficult to me.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Not all Abrahamic religions believe that. AFAIK, only Protestant Christians believe it.

In most Asian religion the teachings say do this (the there are guidelines) and you will see progress, and if you do really well you reach enlightenment ( you must walk the path you self, not just get taken up by Buddha or Shiva if you belive in them)

Should humans not do their best to do what the religion say "they should do" instead of just Yes i belive and now i go to heaven?

I do not judge anyone who do have the belief of "now i belive then i go to heaven" I only ask the question because i not sure i understand how it would be possible.
Personally, I think it's premature to try to figure out how a person gets to Heaven before it has been established that there even is such a thing as Heaven.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Do you see it as more important to follow the teaching and beliving in God at the same time, then only belive in God to take you to heaven?
Yes...that wasn't my only problem either...The same teaching that those who agree with you also tend to say if you don;'t believe you go to hell...that means some of v the most moral people including yourself will be in hell.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Not all Abrahamic religions believe that. AFAIK, only Protestant Christians believe it.

Personally, I think it's premature to try to figure out how a person gets to Heaven before it has been established that there even is such a thing as Heaven.
Within Religion there is said to be heaven, paradise, nirvana, or other names of the ultimate result of the practice, So for those who are religious it is a heaven, paradise, or Nirvana if we can reach it. But do i have a scientific proof of it? No, personally i dont need that to belive it is existing

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes...that wasn't my only problem either...The same teaching that those who agree with you also tend to say if you don;'t believe you go to hell...that means some of v the most moral people including yourself will be in hell.
Well Hell in Buddhism is a bit different then in Christianity. But i get your point :) If someone think i going to end in Hell thats not up to me to judge them. I can only do my best to not end up there :)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Within Religion there is said to be heaven, paradise, nirvana, or other names of the ultimate result of the practice, So for those who are religious it is a heaven, paradise, or Nirvana if we can reach it. But do i have a scientific proof of it? No, personally i dont need that to belive it is existing
I didn't say "scientific."

If you're going to choose to believe that Heaven/Nirvana/whatever exists for no particular reason, then why can't you also choose to believe in whatever criteria you like for how a person gets there?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I didn't say "scientific."

If you're going to choose to believe that Heaven/Nirvana/whatever exists for no particular reason, then why can't you also choose to believe in whatever criteria you like for how a person gets there?
Well for me as a Buddhist i have to fully awaken (enlighten) to the truth of Buddhas teaching and to grasp every little part of it, incomporate it in to my life and live by the guidelines (8 folled path) and do moral standards set by the Buddha to even have a slight chance to reach enlightenment. Kind of a everyday hard school of life.

I dont say that my OP was or is an attack of any belief or persons, I was a question to understand how only a belief without self realization of where we do wrong in life and then try to fixing it by following the teaching in the religion one follow.

And No i do not say Buddhism is any better then any other religion, it was only a personal choice i made to follow that specific teaching.

Shantanu

That is the difference between Abrahamic religions and dharmic religions. For Hindus it is not enough to just believe in God and it is not even a consideration to go to heaven necessarily. One needs to perform one's dharma to be able to benefit from good fortune that only God bestows upon us. If one carries out one's dharma one is assured of victory. This applies not just to ones material objectives, but also one's spiritual objectives. By surrendering to God ones actions are outlined. One can become infallible in ones undertakings.