• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it Easier to see the Bad in People rather than the Good????

Bird123

Is it easier to see the Bad in People rather than the Good???? Has religion trained us to do just that????

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Seems to me that it is a case by case by case condition.

For example, my sister once dated a guy long long ago who she thought could do no wrong.
At all.
He was a complete jerk. (putting it mildly so as not to break any forum rules)

However, this jerks brother could do nothing right in her eyes, ever.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes maybe. Religions are all very different. Its a word that most religions aren't comfortable with, because it doesn't describe any religion particularly well.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it easier to see the Bad in People rather than the Good????

I suspect each person would answer that question differently and it would tell us a lot about their general outlook on life.

Has religion trained us to do just that????

I don't see how that could be possible. There are tens of thousands of different religions, and they are hardly all identical in their natures.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

I personally do not perceive individuals as "good people" or "bad people". I especially do not categorize them into "good" or "evil" people. That way of perceiving humans often reveals a very limited understanding and respect of human Nature and collective human Nature.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I don't see how that could be possible.

I suspect it is possible.
I happen to think it is not very likely.
Like, extremely unlikely.

There are tens of thousands of different religions, and they are hardly all identical in their natures.
Hells bells, I have seen in the same church both those who see mostly the bad in others and those who see mostly the good in others.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I personally do not perceive individuals as "good people" or "bad people". I especially do not categorize them into "good" or "evil" people. That way of perceiving humans often reveals a very limited understanding and respect of human Nature and collective human Nature.
I have no problems with saying someone is a "good" person or a "bad" person.
It would take a whole hell of a lot of "bad" for me to call someone an "evil" person.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Hells bells, I have seen in the same church both those who see mostly the bad in others and those who see mostly the good in others.

Don't be ridiculous. We know that all religions are rigidly dogmatic and all the people who adhere to them are unthinking and identical automatons. Clearly one of these two people was a guest from another religion, or is not a true believer. ;)

Acim

Revelation all the time
Is it easier to see the Bad in People rather than the Good????

Definitely not.

Has religion trained us to do just that????

A little bit, for sure. But also 'trained' us to do the opposite, or to reflect upon such understandings.

I see this as pertaining to judgment. So, a religious claim of "judge not, lest ye be judged" is having us reflect upon the understandings of judgment (good or bad). That particular assertion is doing more than that, and IMO what it is precisely doing is I find often missed, regardless of how self evident it is.

Forgiveness also relates directly to this, and is another example of 'things people have distorted in their understanding of how the thought process works.' Such that people actually believe it somehow spiritually wise to forgive others of their perceived bad traits, and that's (only) what forgiveness is. When in actuality, it is overlooking in own self the (mistaken) idea that you can plausibly see bad in another and that not have any effect on you.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
Is it easier to see the Bad in People rather than the Good???? Has religion trained us to do just that????

Taking love out of the picture, which fuzzies it up a lot.

I would say yes as a trait to prevent us from being harmed. You don't have to worry about a good person they won't hurt you. You have to worry about a bad person, they could kill you. We have developed skills to see potential threats.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Don't be ridiculous. We know that all religions are rigidly dogmatic and all the people who adhere to them are unthinking and identical automatons. Clearly one of these two people was a guest from another religion, or is not a true believer. ;)

It was me. I attend church occasionally. Christenings, weddings, funerals. Generally Christian churches. In my defence, they generally seem to think of me as 'misguided' rather than evil.

Bird123

Seems to me that it is a case by case by case condition.

For example, my sister once dated a guy long long ago who she thought could do no wrong.
At all.
He was a complete jerk. (putting it mildly so as not to break any forum rules)

However, this jerks brother could do nothing right in her eyes, ever.

Maybe love is blind has something to do with some of that.

Bird123

I suspect each person would answer that question differently and it would tell us a lot about their general outlook on life.

I don't see how that could be possible. There are tens of thousands of different religions, and they are hardly all identical in their natures.

Don't some religion focus on bad. Some teach we are all flawed from birth. Doesn't that teach people to focus and look for the bad in others??

Yes, our choices and actions do show the world who we are and what we need to learn.

Bird123

Don't lots of people make judgment calls just on feelings. How many physically beautiful people are assumed to be good or smart? How many ugly people have to be bad because it's hard to look at them??

Bird123

Definitely not.

A little bit, for sure. But also 'trained' us to do the opposite, or to reflect upon such understandings.

I see this as pertaining to judgment. So, a religious claim of "judge not, lest ye be judged" is having us reflect upon the understandings of judgment (good or bad). That particular assertion is doing more than that, and IMO what it is precisely doing is I find often missed, regardless of how self evident it is.

Forgiveness also relates directly to this, and is another example of 'things people have distorted in their understanding of how the thought process works.' Such that people actually believe it somehow spiritually wise to forgive others of their perceived bad traits, and that's (only) what forgiveness is. When in actuality, it is overlooking in own self the (mistaken) idea that you can plausibly see bad in another and that not have any effect on you.

The bad in others might be one's own misguided view and does not even exist in reality. Of course, Beliefs and feelings can be seen as truth and reality to some ,however might not be the real truth.

Scott C.

Just one guy

I tend to look for and see the good more than the bad. I'm sure my religion motivates me this way, if only subconsciously.

Bird123

Taking love out of the picture, which fuzzies it up a lot.

I would say yes as a trait to prevent us from being harmed. You don't have to worry about a good person they won't hurt you. You have to worry about a bad person, they could kill you. We have developed skills to see potential threats.

You make a good point. Maybe part of this stems from evolution. Survival of the fittest does push one to see others as a potential danger. On the other hand, at what point are people supposed to use their intelligence to overcome instincts?