• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it discrimination to say no to robots?

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
It's generaly accepted that personhood has 6 components: consciousness (as in capable of exploring the world), reasoning (as in thinking), self-motivating activity (as in having desires), self-concept (I know what I am) and self-awareness (I know what I'm doing). Though there are many grey zones. Very young infants for example don't really display a self-concept and self-awareness before they reach a about a year or a year and a half old then again I don't think you can oppress or discrimnate babies either amongst other thing because they don't really display all the characteristics of personhood for sure.

That is a good definition, but I think that generally accepted in this case really means accepted by those with an academic or professional interest in such ideas, like cognitive scientists and the AI fraternity, not the general public.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Would you say it is discrimination or racism to say no to Robots in the home or in the society?

Robots to me is this.

_92935560_robot976.jpg

View attachment 37455

No laws yet so no.

Of course if everyone else has one, you might want one too.
If you can't afford it, the government might even provide one for you.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Good Lord, it’s 6 am. I forgot to take my nicotine patch off, and something possessed me to take a gram of ecdysterone at 3 am.

Something robots may never get to experience.

Goodnight.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
My husband had prostate cancer, the oncologist suggest he pay extra to hire a robot to perform the op. Much less invasive with a far better outcome.

When the choice is a 60% to 80% chance of death within 10 years from the cancer spreading to the bones or a 0.1% chance of an early death from cancer he chose the 0.1%

I feel that you would too, despite your reservations.

Honestly no, i would not do that. If i do get cancer (it runs in my family) i would ask a doctor to do the operation and not a robot. Even the chance of dying would be greater

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Honestly no, i would not do that. If i do get cancer (it runs in my family) i would ask a doctor to do the operation and not a robot. Even the chance of dying would be greater

Ok. I am surprised but ok

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I wonder....have you ever gone on rumspringa?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am not an Amish so why would i do something like that?
Oh, I thought you were Amish.
Just kidding!
But on a serious note, have you ever tried a wanton lifestyle?
You know....getting drunk, carousing, womanizing, buggy racing, wearing English clothing.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Oh, I thought you were Amish.
Just kidding!
But on a serious note, have you ever tried a wanton lifestyle?
No i have not. My choice of not accepting robots in to my life has nothing to do with my with spiritual life, It is only my personal view of technology i do not wish to be in my life.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
No i have not. My choice of not accepting robots in to my life has nothing to do with my with spiritual life, It is only my personal view of technology i do not wish to be in my life.

You would be surprised at the number of people who think that using the internet to post that comment is really very funny