• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it discrimination to say no to robots?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The nurses/doctors earn it because of their skills with humans and their knowledge of how to help. I would not let a robot take care of my family members

My husband had prostate cancer, the oncologist suggest he pay extra to hire a robot to perform the op. Much less invasive with a far better outcome.

When the choice is a 60% to 80% chance of death within 10 years from the cancer spreading to the bones or a 0.1% chance of an early death from cancer he chose the 0.1%

I feel that you would too, despite your reservations.

Xi_System_and_Nurse_High_Res_1852581-e1556911400514.jpg

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
They are not and will never be humans

Well, not for quite a long time, I agree. For example, there is no good reason to give them human genetics.

But I do think they will be conscious to the point where they deserve basic rights at some point in the future.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I would love to check out your shed.
It's not quite ready....some organizing to do.
I don't even know how to post pix I take on RF.
Gotta learn that.
Any, I found an on-line pic an engine I own.
It's one of the smaller ones (Ca 1865).
rs=w:600,h:600

This is an engraving of my Colt steam engine (ca 1885)....
OIP.SoNhcNjVvsQYWNU3y1skIAHaMf

Last edited:

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
It's not quite ready....some organizing to do.
I don't even know how to post pix I take on RF.
Gotta learn that.
Any, I found an on-line pic an engine I own.
It's one of the smaller ones.
rs=w:600,h:600

Wow. Now I really want to visit. I’ll bring bacon and Glenfiddich.

Beside ‘Post Reply’ is ‘Upload a File’. Click on that and choose ‘Photo Library’. It will take you to your device’s photo file. Select what you want and click ‘Done’.
When it loads, click ‘Full Image’

Voila.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Wow. Now I really want to visit. I’ll bring bacon and Glenfiddich.

Beside ‘Post Reply’ is ‘Upload a File’. Click on that and choose ‘Photo Library’. It will take you to your device’s photo file. Select what you want and click ‘Done’.
When it loads, click ‘Full Image’

Voila.
I gotta establish a photo library some day.

epronovost

And I see no problem reaching a consensus on that.

It's generaly accepted that personhood has 6 components: consciousness (as in capable of exploring the world), reasoning (as in thinking), self-motivating activity (as in having desires), self-concept (I know what I am) and self-awareness (I know what I'm doing). Though there are many grey zones. Very young infants for example don't really display a self-concept and self-awareness before they reach a about a year or a year and a half old then again I don't think you can oppress or discrimnate babies either amongst other thing because they don't really display all the characteristics of personhood for sure.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
It's generaly accepted that personhood has 6 components: consciousness (as in capable of exploring the world), reasoning (as in thinking), self-motivating activity (as in having desires), self-concept (I know what I am) and self-awareness (I know what I'm doing). Though there are many grey zones. Very young infants for example don't really display a self-concept and self-awareness before they reach a about a year or a year and a half old then again I don't think you can oppress or discrimnate babies either amongst other thing because they don't really display all the characteristics of personhood for sure.
I think, ultimately, machines will never know how to have fun. And this will be the way to tell them apart.

ETA: Of course this means that boring,dull humans will get accidentally mistaken for robots... but... c'est la vie.