• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it difficult for you to accept that others see truth in a different way then you self?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
People can see what they consider the truth any way they want. It does not concern me.

If however, they try ramming their truth down my throat and cannot back up there aggression with valid evidence then i will bite back.

PruePhillip

Often it can be seen that someone from a certain religion says something that triggers some other person who follows a different religion, and yes that is a normal reaction because we are all different.

But a question that comes to mind is: Does it really matter what others believe? Is it not most important to yourself that you are able to follow the religious/spiritual teaching you have chosen to follow?
If someone from a certain religion says something you disagree with because the teaching you study your self say something different? Does it really mean you have to argue toward the other person as if he/she is dumb?
What if both teachings are correct, but thought in different ways because they are meant only for those who chose to follow it?

How can this be?
Islam says the willful infidel should be forcibly converted or punished.
Christianity says to let every man decide for himself.
Buddhists say it doesn't matter
These doctrines are polar opposites.

How can they be different aspects of one truth?

PruePhillip

People can see what they consider the truth any way they want. It does not concern me.

If however, they try ramming their truth down my throat and cannot back up there aggression with valid evidence then i will bite back.

I get this feeling with aggressive atheism. My annoyance is when they say
the universe came from nothing and for no reason whatsoever. I ask them
for the evidence and they give me none.

PruePhillip

I am happy with the idea of religious truth, in the same way that I think there must be an objective physical world for science to model. What I am not happy with is religious claims to dogmatic knowledge of whatever that truth may be, just as I regard the models of science as only humanity's current best approximations to the actual physical world.

Is there some contradiction here? You hate the "dogma" of religion
but accept the dogma of science?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
How can this be?

Because they are teachings from different enlighten beings who saw the truth from a different level of wisdom (meaning they did not see the full truth even at the level they were) So when they spoke of truth, it was the truth they could see and understand. ergo when we later see the teachings together we will be able to look at the same truth from different levels when they were told.
But one other aspect is what wisdom level are we at our self? are we able to realize the same truth as Jesus, Buddha and so on? No, we do not see the truth at their level, we see it at a much lower level because we have not realized the truth on a higher level yet. So even if we try we will not be able to see what Jesus, Buddha or other enlightened masters were teaching us at that time.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I get this feeling with aggressive atheism. My annoyance is when they say
the universe came from nothing and for no reason whatsoever. I ask them
for the evidence and they give me none.

Who says the universe came from nothing? Where the universe came from is unknown yet theists force their belief of god magic with no evidence to back it up and have done for thousands of years. Do the theists who do that cause you to bite back?

FYI, a "hypothesis" of how the universe came from nothing
Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing
Note the word hypothesis, i know around 30 other hypothesis of how the universe could have been formed, all are ideas based on physical evidence or mathematics and none propose god dun it wiv magic and no evidence

PruePhillip

Can you give a few examples of dogma in science?

What is the "dogma of science"?

There's no such things as quasi crystals, only quasi scientists.
Anyone teaching continental drift will lose tenure at this university.
There's no evidence the Jews were slaves in Egypt, they come
from the Canaanites of Palestine (even though there's no evidence
for that, either.)
Everything has a natural explanation, except how and why we got
here in the first place.

That kind of thing...

PruePhillip

Who says the universe came from nothing? Where the universe came from is unknown yet theists force their belief of god magic with no evidence to back it up and have done for thousands of years. Do the theists who do that cause you to bite back?

FYI, a "hypothesis" of how the universe came from nothing
Spontaneous creation of the universe from nothing
Note the word hypothesis, i know around 30 other hypothesis of how the universe could have been formed, all are ideas based on physical evidence or mathematics and none propose god dun it wiv magic and no evidence

A universe from nothing in the paper linked here is for the creation of a new universe
"bubble" from THIS UNIVERSE'S vacuum. It says nothing about how the FIRST
universe started. Or more importantly, why. This answer is purely metaphysical.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
If I share core values with a person, I'm good to go.

But - for example - if I person doesn't believe in modern human rights, then I simply don't accept that person's "truth".

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
There's no such things as quasi crystals, only quasi scientists.
Anyone teaching continental drift will lose tenure at this university.
There's no evidence the Jews were slaves in Egypt, they come
from the Canaanites of Palestine (even though there's no evidence
for that, either.)
Everything has a natural explanation, except how and why we got
here in the first place.

That kind of thing...

Sounds like maybe you're conflating administrators with scientists?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Often it can be seen that someone from a certain religion says something that triggers some other person who follows a different religion, and yes that is a normal reaction because we are all different.

But a question that comes to mind is: Does it really matter what others believe? Is it not most important to yourself that you are able to follow the religious/spiritual teaching you have chosen to follow?
If someone from a certain religion says something you disagree with because the teaching you study your self say something different? Does it really mean you have to argue toward the other person as if he/she is dumb?
What if both teachings are correct, but thought in different ways because they are meant only for those who chose to follow it?
You can't deny that some religions believe in some really crazy and nutty things!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
You can't deny that some religions believe in some really crazy and nutty things!
Some religions believe in certain things I do not believe my self, But that does not give me the right to say they are totally wrong, or that it is wrong to follow that religion.
If I was to have a discussion with someone who clearly saw life in a very different way then I do, I would try to gain an understanding of why they hold the belief they do. This is something I did not do before, then I was just like everyone else who wanted my belief to become their belief because I felt my understanding was better. But i do not hold that belief anymore.

ChristineM

Premium Member
A universe from nothing in the paper linked here is for the creation of a new universe
"bubble" from THIS UNIVERSE'S vacuum. It says nothing about how the FIRST
universe started. Or more importantly, why. This answer is purely metaphysical.

Is moving the goalposts one of your favourite tricks?

You said...

"My annoyance is when they say the universe came from nothing and for no reason whatsoever. I ask them for the evidence and they give me none."

I explained why that won't happen,... meaning you misunderstood...

And i provide evidence that again you (perhaps deliberately) misunderstood, of how the universe could occur from nothing.

Etritonakin

I wish people could have the absolutely certain hope I do, understanding about why the world is the way it is and was necessarily so to create the awesome future -which allows for contentment in all situations -and the absolute weariness of conflict and strife with which I am now blessed.

I get upset because I know so much trouble is avoidable.

Specific beliefs change over time -meanwhile we should seek to live peacefully

"Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath"

MNoBody

How can this be?

didn't those doctrines evolve over time and had nothing to do with the original proto-religion that started the tradition?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I disagree that this "being triggered" is a normal reaction because we are all different.
This "being triggered" is a normal reaction IF the other tries to impose "His way as the highway"

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If someone from a certain religion says something you disagree with because the teaching you study your self say something different?
No problem for me, unless he continues to try to impose his view on me
Still no problem, I will just tell him, that his arrogant behavior is noted AND continue my way