• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it blasphemous to lampoon a prophet?

MNoBody

isn't the purpose of lampooning to offend [gaslighting in other words]
a "roast" is all well [when done in good spirit] and good but everyone has seen that taken way too far so many times.

A Vestigial Mote

Does the lampooning and portrayal of Muhammad amount to blasphemy, and is this harmful to Islam/Muslims?
You do understand that "blasphemy" is ONLY applicable to the point of view of the individuals who believe a particular religion, right? As in, I, as an atheist, don't even recognize, nor care about what ANYONE calls "blasphemy" in the slightest. It has no meaning to me, except the meaning I glean from others. I literally do not respect religious iconography in any way. I do not care one bit.

Outwardly, I may tailor the face I put on so that I don't offend people... but inwardly? Anyone's ideas of blasphemy are complete and total garbage to me. Just the worst sort of useless trash. You probably wouldn't even believe it if you could spend a moment in my shoes. I just do not care at all. I less than care. If anything, I want to see anyone's idea of "blasphemy" written down on paper, doused in lighter fluid, set to flame, and then the ashes urinated on by a procession of 144,000 individuals, before finally being swept up in a dirty, old dust pan and thrown into a cheap plastic trash bag - which we then make sure is placed at the very bottom of the nastiest, stinking landfill we can find.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Words or jokes shouldn't be a god's worst enemy. If they are, they are a weak god; full stop.
Or to put it differently "IF Islam claims Allah to be Almighty THEN all the silly inconsistent Islamic rules are not from Allah"

QuestioningMind

If you happen to live in a secular society, such as France, you may believe that secularism provides a framework for democracy where:
1. There is a separation of state and religion
2. There is freedom to practice one's faith (theist, agnostic or atheist), without harming others, and to change faith if one so wishes.
3. There is equal treatment of faiths and ideologies by the state, so long as a citizen acts within the law.

Does the lampooning and portrayal of Muhammad amount to blasphemy, and is this harmful to Islam/Muslims?

Whether or not something is blasphemous is a matter of personal opinion. Since I possess no belief in any god or gods there is nothing that I consider to be blasphemous. I suppose that things that people consider to be blasphemous can be harmful to that individual, but only if that individual has extremely weak faith and anyone questioning their faith makes them question it as well. However, personally I don't think that people questioning their religious beliefs is harmful in any way.

A Vestigial Mote

Where did you say you lived?
And this matters because? Am I not allowed an opinion here unless I live in France? Would you care to answer my question as to whether or not you understand that anything is ONLY blasphemous from the point of view of the individual(s) who hold the religious beliefs being targeted with insult/defamation? Does answering that question with a "Yes, I understand" undermine the position taken by people who concern themselves with "blasphemy" do you think? I think it does. And unfortunately for those who love to cry "blasphemy!", I feel that understanding that and accepting it is the only rational position to be had on the matter.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
If you happen to live in a secular society, such as France, you may believe that secularism provides a framework for democracy where:
2. There is freedom to practice one's faith (theist, agnostic or atheist), without harming others, and to change faith if one so wishes.
3. There is equal treatment of faiths and ideologies by the state, so long as a citizen acts within the law.

For a Muslim to lampoon Muhammad, that would be blasphemy, sure.
For other people to lampoon Muhammad that would just be dumb.

In my opinion many of the French knew what would happen and still supported such junk. Now they can really scream and shout against Islam, yeah?

We are mostly very strongly against Anti-Semitism, why not against Anti-Islamism?

rosends

In my opinion many of the French knew what would happen and still supported such junk. Now they can really scream and shout against Islam, yeah?

We are mostly very strongly against Anti-Semitism, why not against Anti-Islamism?
Because Jews won't kill you if you run a cartoon that makes fun of the Jewish idea of God. We might sue you, but we won't kill you.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Because Jews won't kill you if you run a cartoon that makes fun of the Jewish idea of God. We might sue you, but we won't kill you.

Oh ........ Well........that's alright then!
So you can insult the blazes out of Islam....... is that what you want to do?

Redemptionsong

And this matters because? Am I not allowed an opinion here unless I live in France? Would you care to answer my question as to whether or not you understand that anything is ONLY blasphemous from the point of view of the individual(s) who hold the religious beliefs being targeted with insult/defamation? Does answering that question with a "Yes, I understand" undermine the position taken by people who concern themselves with "blasphemy" do you think? I think it does. And unfortunately for those who love to cry "blasphemy!", I feel that understanding that and accepting it is the only rational position to be had on the matter.

Matthew 12:31.'Wherefore, I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.'

This seems to indicate that God deals with his own enemies. He doesn't need men to take revenge on His behalf.

Maybe this is a message that Muslim imams should be preaching in the mosques?

Redemptionsong

What concerns me is that free discussion, as we are having on this forum, is made impossible if comments criticising Muhammad are forbidden. I honestly believe that Muhammad was a false prophet, and I base this on my study of the Qur'an and the Bible.

Do I deserve to be killed for having reached this conclusion?

Scott C.

Just one guy

I imagine to a Muslim, it's blasphemy. I consider it disrespectful to Muslims.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

IMO:
1. Separation of state and religion is simple ... ALL MUST follow the Law
2a. Freedom (non)faith ... ALL MAY pray or not, this excludes imposing ones religion on others of course; what Muslims try to do
2b. Without harming others ... NOT harm actively, meaning "do not behead non Muslims for drawing a picture of Muhammad"
3. Equal treatment of (non)faith ... ALL kids can draw whatever pictures they like

Note: It is totally absurd that a Muslims kills me, just because I picture Muhammad in my mind (idolize Muhammad)
Note: Allowing Muslims to impose their inhumane Laws on us = allowing ourselves to get brainwashed

I'm generally more offended by their ban on women wearing certain things that they may actually want to wear, like seriously, how evil and oppressive can you get? If a woman wants to wear a potato bag or whatever the hell, no one should be able to tell her she can't walk out on the street with that (I'm not sure what the law really is, but they made it seem like you can't dress in certain ways or wear certain clothes that you might want to wear for religious reasons or beliefs or even that you want to cover up or whatever).

Ancient Soul

The Spiritual Universe

Now I've stated here many times that I have met God several times and He has given me all the spiritual answers I seek. And I get bashed here all the time for saying that. But I rock solid know this to be true, so it doesn't matter, other's opinions doesn't change anything.

I therefore find it tragic when anyone of ANY religion feels they are mentally "harmed" by someone blaspheming their "god". And worse, when they fly into a rage and sometimes harm or even kill the blasphemer.

SeekerOnThePath

On a mountain between Nietzsche and Islam
Someone spreading hate speech and baiting extremists has no right to play the victim, they're part of the problem, they're exacerbating their own self-caused political tensions towards their own agendas which both oppose freedom of religion and freedom of speech.

SeekerOnThePath

On a mountain between Nietzsche and Islam
Charlie Hebdo is also incredibly infantile, the drawers of those cartoons are displaying the condition of their own minds, not the objects they pretend to convey. It fails to be a caricature and fails to be art for it serves only the function of political propaganda and not any kind of self-expression or insight.

Funny enough they claim to be left wing, yet their biggest supporters are usually on the far right, supporting the same white supremacist and nationalist rhetoric. Funny how that happens, isn't it?