• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it "an assertion that Atheism is correct"?

Altfish

Veteran Member
Oh, I don't know, an atheist dogma might be "I'll believe it to be true if you can prove it to be true.", you might call it the dogma of proof. A dogma is more of a principle that a belief, it doesn't necessarily encompass a belief in a thing and the dogma for any particular atheist might be different for different atheists because it can be a personal dogma and I think different atheists have different view on atheism. But then again, what do I know, I'm not an atheist.
Since atheism is a 'lack of belief in gods'; if god revealed themselves and proved their existence, the number of atheists (me included) would dramatically fall. All that would remain are the equivalent of flat-earthers and creationists.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Oh, I don't know, an atheist dogma might be "I'll believe it to be true if you can prove it to be true.", you might call it the dogma of proof. A dogma is more of a principle that a belief, it doesn't necessarily encompass a belief in a thing and the dogma for any particular atheist might be different for different atheists because it can be a personal dogma and I think different atheists have different view on atheism. But then again, what do I know, I'm not an atheist.
That is hardly a dogma. It appears to be just good sense. Show me some reliable evidence for God and I will change my mind. But then the same applies to fairies. Show me some reliable evidence that fairies exist and I will change my mind.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
That is hardly a dogma. It appears to be just good sense. Show me some reliable evidence for God and I will change my mind. But then the same applies to fairies. Show me some reliable evidence that fairies exist and I will change my mind.

Something I do believe in is the real inability of some theists to comprehend or imagine the positions of atheists. I honestly believe that if they were monitored by brain imaging while trying to concentrate on what atheists tell them, the part of the brain capable of reasoning would be a dark spot on the scan. It sure would make an interesting experiment.

There just has to be a biological based reason for their lack of understanding.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Would you be happy celebrating Muslim, Hindu or Navajo holidays in school? Equal time seems only fair, to me.
I can just imagine the reaction if parents learned their children were bowing toward mecca and reciting Muslim prayers.
Instead of ' equal ' time for all, then what is fair is No time for any in schools.
So, how odd that Santa ( the god of Christmas ) is often acceptable.
Kicking Santa out of school is kicking out a non-existent character.
After all, this country was never a theocracy as Israel.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Its a pretty good indicator given that in 10000+ years of god worship literally billions of attempts at providing evidence for god have failed. Making gods the most failed concept in human history.
But you feel different so pray that he does something about childhood leukemia or stops religion based wars, or feeds the starving children of the world... etc. After all, these things shouldn't be so hard for a bod who made a whole universe from nothing in a week. Shall we take bets on whether he'll take action or not?

First of all, the Bible does Not teach God created from nothing.
Isaiah 40:26 lets us know God used His ' power and strength ' (His dynamic energy) to create the material realm.
There is No mention that the six creative days were a literal week.
The Bible does Not even let us know if each of the creative days were of the same or of differing lengths of time.
After all, in God's eyes a thousand years is as a day.
So, if you live to be one-thousand years old in God's eyes you are only one day old.

It is Satan (see Job 2:4-5) and Not God who challenges all of us.
'Touch our flesh' (loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under very adverse conditions served God proving Satan the liar that he is, and so can we.
ALL of the healings Jesus performed brought people back to health.
Jesus was demonstrating on a small scale what he will be doing on a grand-global scale during his coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth - Psalms 72:8; Psalms 72:12-14.

The passing of time has allowed us to be born and think who we would like as sovereign over us.
If life would have ended in Eden we simply would Not have that opportunity to live.
According to Revelation 22:2 God will do something. Mankind will see the return of the Genesis " Tree of Life ".
Then there will be healing for earth's nations. That will be in fulfillment to God's promise to father Abraham.
Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18 says ALL families of earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefit of healing.

Also, the God of the Bible is letting us know that coming time is near. So, No bets necessary.
1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 lets us know or gives us the coming 'final signal', so to speak.
When 'they ' (powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security..." that is the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14, before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
As Stephen Fry said when asked on Irish TV what he would say to God if after he died he met him.
His response (and I paraphrase) was, "Bone cancer in children, what's that about?"
... and I find the reply would be the same as found at Job 2:4-5.
Satan challenges everybody that ' touch our bone and flesh ' (Loose physical health) and we would Not serve God.
Under very adverse conditions both Job and Jesus proved faithful to God and so can we.
Suffering is coming to an end as per Revelation 22:2. There will be healing for earth's nations.
Even ' enemy death ' will be No more according to 1 Corinthians 15:26; Isaiah 25:8.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I did not write the definitionof atheism
Complete (100%) lack of evidence over the 10000+ years of known god worship. Also the contradictory evidence such as My Go is a caring god... Childhood leukemia
My God is a designer god... the mosquito
My God is a listening god... He futility of prayer
Feel free to interpret that as you will, i certainly see no question as, i believe, many atheists would not see a question.
Complete lack of evidence or evidence completed because in the Bible book of Job it lets us know that suffering is Satan's challenge to everyone: 'Touch our bone and flesh ' (loose physical health) and we would turn against God.
So, to me the evidence is Not contradictory but conclusive, and that is why we are all invited to pray the prayer of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come ! Come and bring the benefits of Revelation 22:2 which is healing for earth's nations.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
First of all, the Bible does Not teach God created from nothing.
Isaiah 40:26 lets us know God used His ' power and strength ' (His dynamic energy) to create the material realm.
There is No mention that the six creative days were a literal week.
The Bible does Not even let us know if each of the creative days were of the same or of differing lengths of time.
After all, in God's eyes a thousand years is as a day.
So, if you live to be one-thousand years old in God's eyes you are only one day old.

It is Satan (see Job 2:4-5) and Not God who challenges all of us.
'Touch our flesh' (loose physical health ) and we would Not serve God.
Both Job and Jesus under very adverse conditions served God proving Satan the liar that he is, and so can we.
ALL of the healings Jesus performed brought people back to health.
Jesus was demonstrating on a small scale what he will be doing on a grand-global scale during his coming 1,000-year governmental rule over Earth - Psalms 72:8; Psalms 72:12-14.

The passing of time has allowed us to be born and think who we would like as sovereign over us.
If life would have ended in Eden we simply would Not have that opportunity to live.
According to Revelation 22:2 God will do something. Mankind will see the return of the Genesis " Tree of Life ".
Then there will be healing for earth's nations. That will be in fulfillment to God's promise to father Abraham.
Genesis 12:3; Genesis 22:18 says ALL families of earth will be blessed, and ALL nations of Earth will be blessed. Blessed with the benefit of healing.

Also, the God of the Bible is letting us know that coming time is near. So, No bets necessary.
1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 lets us know or gives us the coming 'final signal', so to speak.
When 'they ' (powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security..." that is the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14, before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, ushers in global Peace on Earth among persons of goodwill.

Look up the meaning of the word void

A day is a day, it has increased over the aeons

How you interpret a bronze age story book is entirely up to you

Been near for 2000+ years and waiting

Thermos aquaticus

Your position then reminds me of my high school English teacher who taught that position is that of an agnostic.

That is a common misconception, one that atheists have been trying to clear up for a while now.

"Atheism is not an affirmative belief that there is no god nor does it answer any other question about what a person believes. It is simply a rejection of the assertion that there are gods. Atheism is too often defined incorrectly as a belief system. To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. . .

Agnostic isn’t just a “weaker” version of being an atheist. It answers a different question. Atheism is about what you believe. Agnosticism is about what you know.
"
What is Atheism? | American Atheists

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Complete lack of evidence or evidence completed because in the Bible book of Job it lets us know that suffering is Satan's challenge to everyone: 'Touch our bone and flesh ' (loose physical health) and we would turn against God.
So, to me the evidence is Not contradictory but conclusive, and that is why we are all invited to pray the prayer of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come ! Come and bring the benefits of Revelation 22:2 which is healing for earth's nations.

Look up the meaning of the word evidence

Interpretation and belief in mythology is not evidence of mythology

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Look up the meaning of the word void
A day is a day, it has increased over the aeons
How you interpret a bronze age story book is entirely up to you
Been near for 2000+ years and waiting
The word 'day' in Scripture has shades of meaning as it does today when we speak of grandfather's day.
We know grandfather's day was Not a literal 24-hour day, yet we still have 24-hour days.
The ' waiting ' is now close to hearing the ' final signal ' of 1 Thessalonians 5:2-3 when the powers that be will be saying, " Peace and Security..." but that will just be the precursor to the coming great tribulation of Revelation 7:14.

Thermos aquaticus

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Instead of ' equal ' time for all, then what is fair is No time for any in schools.
So, how odd that Santa ( the god of Christmas ) is often acceptable.
Kicking Santa out of school is kicking out a non-existent character.
I'm not a fan of Santa, or the Easter bunny, or Amun-Re. Kicking Santa out of school is removing what many students consider heretical and an attack on their religion.
After all, this country was never a theocracy as Israel.
Where did you study history? The country was founded as a theocracy.
The Pilgrims weren't seeking religious freedom -- they had that in the Netherlands. They came here to set up a fundamentalist, Puritan theocracy; a "city on a hill," where any other religion was illegal, worship and tithing was mandatory, the Bible was the law, and any hint of dissent had grave consequences.
They were the 17th century Taliban.

Most of the 13 colonies had official religions and obligatory taxes to support the church. Many required attendance at Sunday services.

The United States of America were an enlightenment inspired experiment in secular Humanism.