• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it a sin to love and accept your gay son/daughter?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hmm... It really depends on the kind of discussion you'd like to have about this. Because this is a seperate issue than 'is it a sin to love and accept your gay son/daughter', we can make a new thread and have it not derail this topic. If you'd prefer all sorts of input (including the input of other Christians), we may want to stick to the "General Debates".

FeathersinHair said:
I'd also want to point out that doing the any of the things listed is not limited to Christian families. Unfortunately, it can happen to people from all faiths that percieve being gay as wrong.
Thanx for the point... I agree with you completely. I originally wrote the OP using "Christian" but changed it to "Religion" hope I didn't bugger that up. I am interested in the opinions of ALL religions on this (I think I've seen atleast 3 on this thread already, yay!).

Keep in mind as well... I actually realized after I posted the OP that these things have happened to Non-Religious families. It's hard to tell where the original "Homophobia" (for loss of a better/more-descriptive word) originates in non-religious people... I'll have to look into that one.

Ardent Listener

Maize said:
The sin would be not to.
My first reaction was to :clap your statement. However, after thinking about it, if have to respectfully disagree. Yes, it would be a sin (in my opinion) not to love a gay child and their partner. But for someone to "accept" their sexual behavior as moral as that of a hetosexual married relationship is not necessary. This is esp. true in cases where one's religious beliefs condems such sex as sin.

An example would be to ask a homosexual couple not to share a bedroom while staying overnight in one's home. While not doing the same for a married hetrosexual couple.

Melody

Sunstone said:
The Rev Fred Phelps of Westboro Baptist Church in Kansas thinks it's a sin to love a homosexual. He's said, "Not only is homosexuality a sin, but anyone who supports **** is just as guilty as they are. You are both worthy of death." Of course, the Rev. Fred Phelps doesn't have both of his oars in the water. He hates just about everyone and everything.
<sigh> I think the Rev. Fred Phelps and Pat Robertson may be enjoying each other's company in eternity.

Melody

James, I'd frubal you twice if I could. I was just getting ready to respond when I saw your response and it's dead on with how I feel/believe.

I'd add though that I don't have any "fears" that my children will be gay because it will be what it will be. All I can do is teach them my values and belief system and pray enough took hold to anchor them in the years to come.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Ardent Listener said:
My first reaction was to :clap your statement. However, after thinking about it, if have to respectfully disagree. Yes, it would be a sin (in my opinion) not to love a gay child and their partner. But for someone to "accept" their sexual behavior as moral as that of a hetosexual married relationship is not necessary. This is esp. true in cases where one's religious beliefs condems such sex as sin.
Well, I don't see sexuality as a "behavior" and I have no problem with accepting whomever a person loves. I do not feel it is my place to judge whom a person falls in love with. My religion is accepting of all people as well, so there is no conflict there for me either.

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Assuming I had a son or a daughter and was religious ...

If it was a sin to love and accept my son or daughter for whatever the reason maybe, I would turn my back on that religion in a heartbeat and flip off the God that would prohibit such an action.

Ardent Listener

Maize said:
Well, I don't see sexuality as a "behavior" and I have no problem with accepting whomever a person loves. I do not feel it is my place to judge whom a person falls in love with. My religion is accepting of all people as well, so there is no conflict there for me either.
The most important word in your reply was "I".