• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is it a problem that Google and Facebook have a bias against conservative posts?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Is it really fair to right to life views, conservative views etc for social media to effectively promote biased left leaning views.

Facebook And Google Are Facing Criticism Over Unexplained Content Takedowns

I have watched a few of this stuff and it was even discussed on the Joe Rogan show when they spoke to Twitter execs. They are private companies so i understand that they can do what they want but they have too much power and shouldn't be affecting public expression in such a way. They are way too influential and as all companies they would probably have agendas to promote.

I understand where they are coming from though as they want to get rid of content that hurts others feelings and worse but I don't think they then should allow content regarding the political realm and religious realm on their platforms.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Is it really fair to right to life views, conservative views etc for social media to effectively promote biased left leaning views.

Whether I wish it were different or not, it seems to me that in this day and age, much of conservative political and religious belief is deeply tied to hatred, ignorance, and demonization of certain groups or denial of their rights.

Until this changes and the conservative landscape in politics and religion sees considerable reform, I fully support the right of private companies like Twitter and Facebook to curb speech they deem potentially harmful or inciting against any given group.

I only wish they did the same more often to similarly harmful rhetoric from the left, but this is different from believing they are in the wrong concerning how they deal with specific conservative posts.

Erebus

A friend of mine recently had this picture taken down by Facebook:

f-BGNYBihJ7vbkOX_5-QfkfEy1tKdQI4BEjtOANB4oM.jpg

This is the issue with algorithms, they're notoriously bad at determining context. Without human oversight, report systems are incredibly easy to abuse. Youtube is a classic example of this with unwarranted Copyright takedowns actively damaging channels.

Whether there's a left/right bias on these platforms is an issue that unfortunately shows conservatism in a negative light. What usually gets taken down (outside of those things that fall victim to algorithms) are posts that either express bigotry or present falsehoods. If you consider those to be integral parts of conservatism then yes, taking them down demonstrates anti-conservative bias. I would hope that conservatism means far more than that for people but I acknowledge that all too often this just isn't the case.

As an aside, I just wanted to pick up on this line from the article:

“I’m self-censoring, but my fans think they are getting everything authentically,” he said. “So, it’s worse than 1984, because you think you are getting real news, when in actuality I weigh everything against the risk of Facebook employees flagging it.”

This is the sort of thing that people who've never actually read Nineteen Eighty-Four say and it only diminishes the impact of their argument. Just worth keeping in mind for anybody tempted to describe something as Orwellian.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
This is the sort of thing that people who've never actually read Nineteen Eighty-Four say and it only diminishes the impact of their argument. Just worth keeping in mind for anybody tempted to describe something as Orwellian.

That is DEFINITELY not worse than 1984! If we were really living under Orwellian rule then everybody would be forced to think the same, speak a government constructed language, and nobody would be able to outwardly express any original thought.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

The problem I have after reading the article, It doesn't specifically indicate that conservative views are targeted more the left views. It actually indicates a variety of reasons and accidental shut downs. How do you justify that it is only Conservative views?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

It's not aimed at "conservatives" but at potentially harmful posts regardless if they're political or not. And now Twitter is going to have a fact-check link on some posts, including some of Trump's utterly dishonest and inflammatory posts.

Words can cause harm, contrary to the "sticks and stones..." line.

BTW, just a reminder that Trump has threatened to censor the media a great many times over, but I don't recall you complaining about that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't question the right of these platforms to allow or disallow any content they wish on their servers. However, part of the problem I see is that, in doing so, they are creating a false impression of "safety" on the internet which doesn't really exist, nor has it really existed.

From a business standpoint, they appear to be banking on their belief that most of their customers and user base want a safe and welcoming environment on their platform and that they don't tolerate hateful, bigoted, or extreme radical views. They're sending out the message that they're "protecting" their customers, but I think that's an illusion. Especially in light of the fact that certain tricksters from other countries have been accused of manipulating these platforms for their own ends.

People might see a Facebook page or a Twitter feed or something on Google and erroneously believe that they've already been vetted and that they can "trust" that these platforms are monitored by responsible people. That's what they would have us believe, but I don't believe that for a second.

dianaiad

hmnn....the problem here is that these privately owned companies may do what they wish to do according to their own beliefs. It would be VERY wrong to stop them. On the other hand, they also seem to have the power to stop conservative thought and expression. I was very personally affected by this last year, when I was actually kicked off a knitting site for my less than extreme political views. I was not only kicked off, I was threatened, insulted, and stalked. It was pretty miserable there for quite a few months...because I was NOT a slavering left wing ***** hat wearer. I wasn't a dyed in the wool Trump supporter, either, but that didn't matter to anybody. I was a target because I wasn't extreme left wing.

So these people have power...real power...to destroy lives, and they do. They not only allow it, they encourage it. I find that to be problematic. What there should be is equally powerful sources of information from the 'other side,' and there seems to be a dearth of that. Look at what criticism of Fox News is out there. Nobody can say that Fox News is as powerful or influential as Facebook or Instagram or whoever, but for some reason, Fox News is considered to be anathema, where Facebook and YouTube are not. Any percieved bias by Fox is condemned to the maximum...and all such discriminatory censorship by the other guys is defended. I don't want the government messing with private opinions, no matter how big that private opinion is.....but that's a very conservative thought that buys right into liberal thinking, which seems to be that their way is the right way and any differing though should be legally prohibited.

We can't win.

By the way, I have read 1984, and today, if one is a conservative, it looks very much like that. Newspeak indeed.It is very frightening, frankly.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I don't know. As a lefty I can't bring myself to support such big corporations as Google or Facebook. They may seem to be left leaning in their "censorship" but they are as right as it gets in their corporate actions.

Erebus

We can't win.

By the way, I have read 1984, and today, if one is a conservative, it looks very much like that. Newspeak indeed.It is very frightening, frankly.

... but you have a right wing party in power?* The UK has a conservative government too. Fox News is the most watched news channel in the US. Conservatives are doing incredibly well in the current political climate. I don't intend this as an attack, it just honestly baffles me when people feel that conservatives are struggling or poorly represented.

*I'm assuming you're from the US. My apologies if not.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, because Christians don't get to call the shots anymore, they have to share this world with others, and they are losing their legal special privileges (like no longer being able to socially and legally define marriage).:rolleyes:

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
... but you have a right wing party in power?* The UK has a conservative government too. Fox News is the most watched news channel in the US. Conservatives are doing incredibly well in the current political climate. I don't intend this as an attack, it just honestly baffles me when people feel that conservatives are struggling or poorly represented.

I think the fear is about losing that power.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Many of them truly feel they are a persecuted group of minority status who abused systematically by the system. Amd them they turn around and accuse others of playing the victim card.:rolleyes: