• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islamophobia bigotry?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
They are interesting old stories but I think theres more than a few muslims in the world who strictly adhere to its teachings and believe they are the ones like muhammed.

Clarify regarding the ones who are "like Muhammad." I also tend to think all Muslims adhere (or at least try) to the tenants of Islam (Faith, Prayer, Charity, and Fasting).

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Muslims destroyed every single Synagogue in Eastern Jerusalem and destroyed Jewish graveyards and then used the gravestones as building material for streets and army toilets.

Muslims. Not Muslim Terrorists.

Can you show me proof of this? Not saying I disbelieve you because I know for a fact there have been different dynasties within the medieval period and some had some very questionable practices, or are you referring to contemporary period?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
***Disclaimer*** The following is mostly sarcasm but its intent is to put Abrahamic religious criticism into perspective

1) I personally feel like there are a lot of Jewish doctors are rude and arrogant and mostly keep to themselves and are only interested in my money if I were their patient

2) Why do the KKK bear the cross and yet kill in the name of their "Lord" under the guise of racism?

3) Why are Israeli Jews so racist to Arab Palestinians and even go as far as to kill them?

4) Why do gang members kill people yet tattoo a cross (or crucifix) on their body?

5) Why are Jews always concerned with money?

Now these are somewhat common stereotypes and some in the form of questions, but as the saying goes some stereotypes have some truths to them, and although I question that axiom, we can see that there are those in the world that believe it. I'm sure the kneejerk reaction to the above five would be "that's not true." Often times when Christians are critiqued from the actions of other Christians and the same with Jews there are those that say "well, that is not all of us" or, "there aren't real Jews/Christians." Now, if we are going to play this game of No True Scotsman then we need to extend this to Muslims as well. It does not matter who is more extreme among the three or who is less, the fact is and this is an undeniable fact, members of the three Abrahamic faiths have had a bloody history and continue to have a bloody history. I do believe the media has a narrative in exposing the actions of Muslim terrorist more to the public than anyone else and I think often times its spurred by politics. I think it's a shame that Muslims continue to suffer because of the extreme actions of their brethren and the media continues to feed into the fears of the "boogyman mooslems." I personally feel unless you have a scholarly degree in religious studies that includes Islam and classical Arabic, any criticism of Islam is simply armchair scholarship (my own opinion included), and personal bias. If people simply came out and admitted to their bias concerning bigotry and Islam I think we can create a foundation of honest dialogue but until then the copy and paste of scriptures and skimming and pointing out Quranic verses is simply going to be the internet norm not a scholarly and objective dialogue.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Acid attacks are a big problem in the UK now, but their first reported use was in Islamic honour crimes.

Is this Islamophobia?

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Clarify regarding the ones who are "like Muhammad." I also tend to think all Muslims adhere (or at least try) to the tenants of Islam (Faith, Prayer, Charity, and Fasting).

The Muslims who strictly follow the sunna of muhammed,have slaves, kill apostates,stone men and women for adultery,cut off hands and feet,kill homosexuals etc.
In the west they not allowed to do this but ma y in the west want sharia and hud punishments.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
The Muslims who strictly follow the sunna of muhammed,have slaves, kill apostates,stone men and women for adultery,cut off hands and feet,kill homosexuals etc.
In the west they not allowed to do this but ma y in the west want sharia and hud punishments.

Okay here is the issue to which you have stated and I'm sure Muslims here will agree. There is no universal concession on punishment in Islam since scholars in Islam do not know how punishments ought to be met because all don't universally agree. This is where Islamic jurisprudence comes into play. Even if you are Sunni you may follow a specific jurisprudence that interprets Shari'ah Law a way different from other Sunnis. The issues you brought up is more complex.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Okay here is the issue to which you have stated and I'm sure Muslims here will agree. There is no universal concession on punishment in Islam since scholars in Islam do not know how punishments ought to be met because all don't universally agree. This is where Islamic jurisprudence comes into play. Even if you are Sunni you may follow a specific jurisprudence that interprets Shari'ah Law a way different from other Sunnis. The issues you brought up is more complex.

It is more complex but its still true.

Flankerl

Can you show me proof of this? Not saying I disbelieve you because I know for a fact there have been different dynasties within the medieval period and some had some very questionable practices, or are you referring to contemporary period?

"By the end of 1949, and throughout the Jordanian rule of the site, some Arab residents uprooted tombstones and plowed the land in the cemeteries and an estimated 38,000 tombstones were damaged in total. During this period, four roads were paved through the cemeteries, in the process destroying graves including those of famous persons. Jordan's King Hussein permitted the construction of the Intercontinental Hotel at the summit of the Mount of Olives together with a road that cut through the cemetery which destroyed hundreds of Jewish graves, some from the First Temple Period. Graves were also demolished for parking lots and a filling station[12][13] and were even used in latrines at a Jordanian Army barracks.[14][15][16][17] However, the United Nations did not condemn the Jordanian government for these actions.[18]"

Mount of Olives - Wikipedia

"Altogether, the Jordanians destroyed 56 Synagogues in Jerusalem, while the remaining synagogues were used as toilets, stables and chicken coops.[30] All Jewish inhabitants from the parts of city occupied by Jordan, including residents of Old City Jewish Quarter were expelled."

Islamization of Jerusalem - Wikipedia

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Israel arrested the murderer. Whereas in arabic countries, they name streets after murderers.

How do you know Arabic countries don't? The point is, is it isn't about the geography it's about irrational behavior in the name of religion and culture.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
"By the end of 1949, and throughout the Jordanian rule of the site, some Arab residents uprooted tombstones and plowed the land in the cemeteries and an estimated 38,000 tombstones were damaged in total. During this period, four roads were paved through the cemeteries, in the process destroying graves including those of famous persons. Jordan's King Hussein permitted the construction of the Intercontinental Hotel at the summit of the Mount of Olives together with a road that cut through the cemetery which destroyed hundreds of Jewish graves, some from the First Temple Period. Graves were also demolished for parking lots and a filling station[12][13] and were even used in latrines at a Jordanian Army barracks.[14][15][16][17] However, the United Nations did not condemn the Jordanian government for these actions.[18]"

Mount of Olives - Wikipedia

"Altogether, the Jordanians destroyed 56 Synagogues in Jerusalem, while the remaining synagogues were used as toilets, stables and chicken coops.[30] All Jewish inhabitants from the parts of city occupied by Jordan, including residents of Old City Jewish Quarter were expelled."

Islamization of Jerusalem - Wikipedia

I read your link....You left out the beginning piece:

"The armistice agreement signed by Israel and Jordan following the 1948 Arab–Israeli War called for the establishment of a Special Committee to negotiate developments including "free access to the holy sites and cultural institutions and use of the cemetery on the Mount of Olives". However, during the 19 years the Jordanian annexation of the West Bank lasted, the committee was not formed. Non-Israeli Christian pilgrims were allowed to visit the Mount, but Jews of all countries and most non-Jewish Israeli citizens were barred from entering Jordan and therefore were unable to travel to the area."

This seems to be more political than religious considering the 1949 Arab-Israeli war.

Flankerl

I read your link....You left out the beginning piece:

"The armistice agreement signed by Israel and Jordan following the 1948 Arab–Israeli War called for the establishment of a Special Committee to negotiate developments including "free access to the holy sites and cultural institutions and use of the cemetery on the Mount of Olives". However, during the 19 years the Jordanian annexation of the West Bank lasted, the committee was not formed. Non-Israeli Christian pilgrims were allowed to visit the Mount, but Jews of all countries and most non-Jewish Israeli citizens were barred from entering Jordan and therefore were unable to travel to the area."

This seems to be more political than religious considering the 1949 Arab-Israeli war.

It would be political if they had only barred Israeli Jews. But they barred access all Jews from every single country.

But perhaps you are suggesting that is just political. In that case I would laugh.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
It would be political if they had only barred Israeli Jews. But they barred access all Jews from every single country.

But perhaps you are suggesting that is just political. In that case I would laugh.

How do we discern what is political or religious or what is more religious than political or vis-à-vis? Don't get me wrong, the desecration of graves and the destroying of Jewish templeis wrong in fact it would be unIslamic for Muslims to destroy any temple where God is praised. During the golden age of Islam churches and Jewish temples were always respected.

Notanumber

A Free Man
Are you referring to contemporary Islam?

This is why I would like a Muslim to comment on the thread and the subsequent discussions because I cannot speak on such matters.

This is where a learned Muslim ought to come in and discuss this issue

This is a good place to get your answers - What is Islam? - Political Islam

This man has forgotten more about Islam than your average Muslim will ever know about the subject.