• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Islamic Republic of Iran better than Pahlavi Iran?

ronki23

Was Iran better under the Shah or under the Ayatollahs we see? Because under the Shah the state was policed and there were imprisonments, tortures and executions, and crushing of dissidence. However, I see many expatriate Iranians miss the Shah and many of them are not even Muslim; was the emigration because the Ayatollah took over or were they abroad to begin with. The only bad thing I hear about Khomeini was that he ordered the execution of a radical left wing group that was against both the West AND the Ayatollah

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hey Ronki23. It's good to hear from you again :)

Perhaps the emigrants you're talking about are supporters of the previous Shah so they talked good about his rule? I believe any follower/supporter of any rule would talk good about it.

But on the other hand, a Zoroastrian member here said that his people were massacred by the current believed Islamic rule.

I think every major power had/have atrocities. I think it's a normal thing with huge communities.

ronki23

Hey Ronki23. It's good to hear from you again :)

Perhaps the emigrants you're talking about are supporters of the previous Shah so they talked good about his rule? I believe any follower/supporter of any rule would talk good about it.

But on the other hand, a Zoroastrian member here said that his people were massacred by the current believed Islamic rule.

I think every major power had/have atrocities. I think it's a normal thing with huge communities.

I did not know there were many Zoroastrians remaining in Iran in the 20th Century although a family friend from India said that under the Shah they were being allowed back into Iran

ronki23

The 1988 executions of political prisoners in Iran (Persian: ۱۳۶۷ اعدام زندانیان سیاسی در تابستان‎‎) refers to the state-sponsored execution of political prisoners across Iran, starting on 19 July 1988 and enduring for approximately five months. The majority of those killed were supporters of the People's Mujahedin of Iran, although supporters of other leftist factions, including the Fedaian and the Tudeh Party of Iran (Communist Party), were executed as well.[1][2]

The killings have been described as a political purge without precedent in modern Iranian history, both in terms of scope and coverup.[3] However, the exact number of prisoners executed remains a point of contention. Amnesty International recorded the names of over 4,482 disappeared prisoners during this time,[4] but Iranian opposition groups suggest that the number of prisoners executed was far higher, and as many as 30,000 dissidents may have been executed.[5][6]

How bad is Iran under Islamic rule? I'm assuming most responses will be from expats though as this will probably be blocked in Iran

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I did not know there were many Zoroastrians remaining in Iran in the 20th Century although a family friend from India said that under the Shah they were being allowed back into Iran

I didn't mean that there are many, at least I'm sure there are some. The Zoroastrian I know it a native real Zoroastrian.

ronki23

I don't understand Iran; the Ayatollah executed MEK members but MEK opposed both Shah and Khomeini. MEK used to be classified as terrorists by the West.