• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is ISIS a disaster for all muslims?

Looncall

Them atrocities being committed by ISIS and similar groups are horrifying the non-muslim world.

People will now be suspicious of their muslim neighbours: would they do such things if they thought they could get away with them?

Young muslims leaving peaceful places like Canada to join such groups reinforces the negative impression of islam that the jihadis are producing.

Will things be worse for muslims than they would be without the jihadist groups?

Sees

Dragonslayer
There is no doubt that it makes Islam look bad, that isn't to say whether it is right or wrong to judge religions or ideologies based on member behavior - is what it is though. I still think we are lacking the Muslim condemnation of Islamist extremist crazies and religious violent political movements that is very necessary. There are many Muslim fence-sitters in the western world and positive propaganda is needed.

Islam is more easily weaponized than most religious traditions and that aspect of it needs to eventually be cut loose or at least deeply buried and forgotten - strongly vocally condemned when it does spawn another group or even when it's preached lightly in a Quiet Town mosque around the corner.

Being overly PC and brushing off the negative or dangerous aspects isn't intelligent.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I still think we are lacking the Muslim condemnation of Islamist extremist crazies and religious violent political movements that is very necessary. There are many Muslim fence-sitters in the western world and positive propaganda is needed.

you think ?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Only if they lose.
If they win, it's Allah's will.
The victorious write history.
Like the killing of the Canaanites...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There is no doubt that it makes Islam look bad, that isn't to say whether it is right or wrong to judge religions or ideologies based on member behavior - is what it is though. I still think we are lacking the Muslim condemnation of Islamist extremist crazies and religious violent political movements that is very necessary. There are many Muslim fence-sitters in the western world and positive propaganda is needed.

Perhaps many secretly hope they win. It'd kind of justify Islam wouldn't it?

Might makes right.

Sees

Dragonslayer
you think ?

I know and think, depending on which part of the post. I don't hear or see enough of the condemnation and the fence-sitters and sympathizers are not hard to find...some monitored regularly (sympathizers)

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Islam is more easily weaponized than most religious traditions and that aspect of it needs to eventually be cut loose or at least deeply buried and forgotten - strongly vocally condemned when it does spawn another group or even when it's preached lightly in a Quiet Town mosque around the corner.

Being overly PC and brushing off the negative or dangerous aspects isn't intelligent.

Very good post, imo. We certainly should not blame all or most Muslems for the actions of ISIS, Hamas, Hezbollah, etc. However, as you say, the silence from more moderate Muslems is deafening.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
I know and think, depending on which part of the post. I don't hear or see enough of the condemnation and the fence-sitters and sympathizers are not hard to find...some monitored regularly (sympathizers)

since i am here , i posted hunderd of post against the groups terrorists, and posted many thread about this , don't ever read once of them ?

xkatz

I don't hear or see enough of the condemnation and the fence-sitters and sympathizers are not hard to find.
I don't think a simple condemnation from Muslims is going to stop ISIS, let alone do much of anything. Especially seeing that the IS believes many Muslims are kufr.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
TBH I don't see much difference in religious fundamentalist, regardless of the religion. There is a difference between christians in the U.S. and muslims in many parts of the world, but that difference does not appear to be any lack of desire to destroy 'evil,' whatever that supposed evil may be.

The difference, admittedly I have a lot to learn, seems to be a stronger secular government and population that pushes back harder than the fundamentalists. I do not know, but in other parts of the world it may be harder to push against the fundamentalists.

Haters are going to hate, lovers are going to love, and most people are going to sit on their **** and keep their mouths shut.