• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is intolerance of beliefs, views, opinions that do not affect you a symptom of emotional immaturity?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Is intolerance of beliefs, views, opinions that do not affect you a symptom of emotional immaturity?

I'm not talking here of intolerance of beliefs, etc that affect you. If someone believes you should be murdered, it's reasonable to be intolerant of their views. Instead, I'm talking about beliefs, etc. that do not affect you. If someone believes in unicorns, what's it to you?

Also, I'm not talking intolerance of intolerance. If someone is a bigot, their bigotry degrades to one extent or another the society you live in. It's pathologically decadent to cave into things like bigotry.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
It seems to me that it's often the case that what "affects you" can be tricky to determine. For example, if a large group of people believe that their savior is about to return and they should "take no care for the morrow", does that affect me? I think it does, I think it gives those folks an excuse to foul the commons. But many disagree.

But back to the OP, given your constraints, I would say that such intolerance is immature.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I'm not talking here of intolerance of beliefs, etc that affect you. If someone believes you should be murdered, it's reasonable to be intolerant of their views. Instead, I'm talking about beliefs, etc. that do not affect you. If someone believes in unicorns, what's it to you?

Also, I'm not talking intolerance of intolerance. If someone is a bigot, their bigotry degrades to one extent or another the society you live in. It's pathologically decadent to cave into things like bigotry.

I don't think it is immaturity but closed mindedness. People run a scale of open minded - close minded. It is a decision based on survival. Closed minded being protectiveness and open minded being creativeness. I believe you would find in a psychological study that intolerant people are high on the scale for close minded and protective, immaturity would be all over the scale.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk

"Is intolerance of beliefs, views, opinions that do not affect you a symptom of emotional immaturity?

So are you suggesting everyone in the world is emotionally immature? Sure I can get on board with that.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

It doesn't really matter to me what people believe. I look more at actions and the results of actions, whether they affect me personally or someone else, before deciding whether I would be tolerant or intolerant.

If someone believed that they had the power to blot out the Sun, I wouldn't necessarily be intolerant of that belief, since it's extremely unlikely that anyone has the power to actually do such a thing. If someone could blot out the Sun, it would most definitely affect me and everyone else, but I wouldn't be intolerant of the "belief," in and of itself.

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
It doesn't really matter to me what people believe. I look more at actions and the results of actions, whether they affect me personally or someone else, before deciding whether I would be tolerant or intolerant.

If someone believed that they had the power to blot out the Sun, I wouldn't necessarily be intolerant of that belief, since it's extremely unlikely that anyone has the power to actually do such a thing. If someone could blot out the Sun, it would most definitely affect me and everyone else, but I wouldn't be intolerant of the "belief," in and of itself.

"If someone believed that they had the power to blot out the Sun, I wouldn't necessarily be intolerant of that belief, since it's extremely unlikely that anyone has the power to actually do such a thing. If someone could blot out the Sun, it would most definitely affect me and everyone else, but I wouldn't be intolerant of the "belief," in and of itself."

I have a very similar problem, see I rightfully rule the world but no one believes me.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

Seems to me that being intolerant of them is a sign that they effect you...?
What am I missing?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
In real life I do not suffer fools lightly, however, if the garden gnome in question is obviously of a lower intelligence, I will often just let their loopy ideas slide. To tackle the mentally disadvantaged is a form of bullying. If I detect someone has a modicum of intelligence and they still offer up ludicrous thinking, it's very much a mood thing for me. Sometimes I'll bite, sometimes I'll just sit and smile.

For those who are rather intelligent but still spout seriously stupid thinking, again, I may or may not respond. I'm more inclined to make a joke than to hit them head on. An intelligent person should be able to detect that I'm not deeply impressed with their thinking, LOL, but I'll get a chuckle out of them at the very least.

I'll let others decide what type of maturity is involved.
In the immortal words of Red Green, "Just because you're old doesn't mean you can't be immature."

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I will say no based on my assumed understanding of what you are asking.

Being intolerant in and of itself, IMO, does not make one immature.
It is the way you deal with it that determines the maturity level.

Perhaps you could provide a sample situation?

Onyx

Premium Member
To answer the question, yes. I could care less what someone else believes, and it's unfortunate how many bigots, neo-nazis, and other morons seek the voids of oneupsmanship and trolling, instead of focusing on their own pursuits. If you are so great, show me what you can do instead of hiding behind hollow words.

idav

Being
Premium Member

Not always but I like to think that generally people are well intentioned as long as they don't have a complete disregard for people's well being. Some folks may be in the belief that they just don't want you to spend eternity in hell-fire, I suppose that concern could be genuine.

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles
Someone can hold intolerant views towards a belief but still respect people who believe in that very thing. With that being said, I don't think intolerance is immature in itself, but the way you act according to the intolerant view you hold can say a lot about your maturity. Unfortunately the word "intolerance" suggests that a person behaves solely on the principle of their intolerance, because connotatively intolerant behavior is more common than simply holding an intolerant view, and much easier to think of since behavior is a physical and verbal reflection of emotions.

I personally find it hard to be intolerant of things that don't affect me directly unless I find it to be horrendous or just plain wrong (and it's not an intolerant belief, but a misguided one).

The Holy Bottom Burp

Yes, you should be intolerant of nutty ideas even if they don't directly affect your current life, because one day they might. I live in a secular country, the UK, but I still subscribe to the British Humanist Association because I recognise the fact that religion has enormous influence, and may well have a resurgence if the economy turns to sh*t for example. Make concepts/ideologies/religions that may damage fellow human beings your business I say.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

I will basically answer that question with a 'Yes' (and we probably almost all do it to some extent).

For example, I receive negative emotional vehemence every time I bring up examples of my paranormal beliefs. Why is that warranted? But then I probably project back vehemently to the atheist-materialist crowd.

My views don't hurt them and their views don't hurt me as we really don't disagree on how we should treat each other.

Emotional immaturity happens on issues so core to who and what we are and what this world is.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
To what is to me a somewhat vague question I answer with a somewhat vague 'yes'. I think 'degrade society' is where the debate starts because we will differ about what is inherently degrading.

Rational Agnostic

Yes, I believe it is, and intolerance is rampant in politics and religion. The unfortunate fact is that most people cannot see their own intolerance. From personal experience, I will say that many liberal self-proclaimed "social justice warriors" are nearly as intolerant (and dare I say, obnoxious), as religious fundamentalists. Not quite, but close.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For example, I receive negative emotional vehemence every time I bring up examples of my paranormal beliefs. Why is that warranted?
It's not.
But then I probably project back vehemently to the atheist-materialist crowd.
No, speaking as a fire breathing ahteist materialist,
I say you come across as cuddly....like a koala.

Now for a relevant clip from Buckaroo Banzai, Across The Eighth Dimension....

David1967

Premium Member

I would say maybe, leaning heavily toward probably.;)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It's not.

No, speaking as a fire breathing ahteist materialist,
I say you come across as cuddly....like a koala.

Now for a relevant clip from Buckaroo Banzai, Across The Eighth Dimension....
I must say you are one of the rare atheist types that can not believe things I do without the emotional vehemence.

A maturity frubal for you!!