• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is India now the Undisputed World Leader of Internet Shutdowns?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Is India the world leader of internet shutdowns?
Is this a sign that Modi is failing to bring about a digital India?
Is this a sign that democracy is weakening under Modi?
National security is more important than providing internet access, when we know that internet is being used by terrorists and anti-nationals to harm India.
Internet and mobile use has increased by leaps and bounds in India. Government work and banking is fast switching to internet without any let up. The credit goes to Modi more than any one in his team.
Indian democracy is facing many challenges, from separatists in Kashmir, from millions of illegal infiltrators from Bangladesh, from religious bigots among Indian Muslims, from leftists, from corrupt political dynasts and their hangers-on who have sucked India for more than 60 years. Modi's challenges are enormous, I wish him good luck.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The current government in India is causing problems by abandoning secularism in favor of pro-Hindu, anti-Muslim laws and practices. This of course leads to violence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
According to Urban Papyrus India is now the "undisputed world leader of internet shutdowns"
source: India is now the Undisputed World Leader of Internet Shutdowns

So my questions are;
Wow! Very amazing for a democracy to use such a heavy handed tool. I thought that Iran or China would own this title.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The current government in India is causing problems by abandoning secularism in favor of pro-Hindu, anti-Muslim laws and practices. This of course leads to violence.
That is the problem with religious beliefs. Large numbers of people will always be shut out. And of course far too many religious people conflate secularism with atheism. It is typical of the "My way or the highway" beliefs of many theists.

ajay0

According to Urban Papyrus India is now the "undisputed world leader of internet shutdowns"

So my questions are;

Internet shutdowns have come up only in Kashmir, one of the 28 states in India, where there is an insurgency by islamic militants campaigning for a separate Islamic state, similar to Chechnya in Russia, Xinjiang in China and the ongoing islamic insurgencies in Thailand, Burma, Nigeria and Phillipines.

This came up after Article 370 which gave special status to Kashmir was removed. The idea is to ensure that any terrorist strike is preempted by blocking of the internet, mobile communications and its filtering, thereby saving lives of innocents.

Efforts are also on place to return the Kashmiri Hindu community that had fled the region due to persecution, and who are living as refugees in the rest of India.

Hopefully, Kashmiri Muslims will embrace their minority Hindu brethren with whom they share links of a common race, language, traditions and culture. Many Kashmiri Hindus like the famous singer Kailash Kher are also practicioners of sufism and is a famous sufi singer.

atanu

Premium Member

So my questions are;

The foundation of India’s democracy is still strong, supported by strong universalism enshrined in the Constitution. The Supreme Court has already ruled against indefinite shut down of internet.

India’s top court rules indefinite internet shutdown in Kashmir unwarranted and amounts to abuse of power – TechCrunch

Tambourine

National security is more important than providing internet access, when we know that internet is being used by terrorists and anti-nationals to harm India.
Internet and mobile use has increased by leaps and bounds in India. Government work and banking is fast switching to internet without any let up. The credit goes to Modi more than any one in his team.
Indian democracy is facing many challenges, from separatists in Kashmir, from millions of illegal infiltrators from Bangladesh, from religious bigots among Indian Muslims, from leftists, from corrupt political dynasts and their hangers-on who have sucked India for more than 60 years. Modi's challenges are enormous, I wish him good luck.
What exactly are "anti-nationals" and why do you think they need to be suppressed by force and censorship?

The foundation of India’s democracy is still strong, supported by strong universalism enshrined in the Constitution. The Supreme Court has already ruled against indefinite shut down of internet.

India’s top court rules indefinite internet shutdown in Kashmir unwarranted and amounts to abuse of power – TechCrunch
Do you think the Modi administration will comply with the ruling?
Is there any way to make them comply if they don't?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What exactly are "anti-nationals" and why do you think they need to be suppressed by force and censorship?
Those Kashmiris who want to secede to Pakistan. Kashmir became a part of India before Indian forces entered it to save it from Pakistani Army and tribals. Now, after 73 years they cannot undo that.
Do you think the Modi administration will comply with the ruling? Is there any way to make them comply if they don't?
Sure, Modi will follow all directions of the Indian Supreme Court. Recently, the even the Kashmir High Court has asked the Kashmir government to rescind application of "Public Security Act" (which allows the government to jail a person without approaching the Courts) in case of few politicians. The Kashmir govenment has to accept the decision of the Court. That is how democracy works in India.

I do not exactly know as to what Supreme Court can do if the government of the day does not accept its verdict, but I suppose it can send Modi to jail. You must remember that a state court disqualified Indira Gandhi when she was the Prime Minister of India (and that led to declaration of emergency). Later the Indian Constitution has been amended to make the recurrence of such an event impossible.

That is what the Constitution makers were looking for - a balance between the Government, the Administration and the Judiciary. And I think the Indian Constitution has achieved that.

Last edited:

Tambourine

Those Kashmiris who want to secede to Pakistan. Kashmir became a part of India before Indian forces entered it to save it from Pakistani Army and tribals. Now, after 73 years they cannot undo that.
You have thrown off the shackles of British colonialism in order to freely determine your own future, why would you advocate suppression and censorship? If the Kashmiri parts of you do not feel free or safe inside your borders, then don't you think they should be allowed to determine their own future?

Bangla Desh declared its independence after being part of Pakistan for decades, and you supported it with your armies.
Why is Kashmir different?

Sure, Modi will follow all directions of the Indian Supreme Court. Recently, the even the Kashmir High Court has asked the Kashmir government to rescind application of "Public Security Act" (which allows the government to jail a person without approaching the Courts) in case of few politicians. The Kashmir govenment has to accept the decision of the Court. That is how democracy works in India.
Can't they simply jail you for violating quarantine measures these days?