• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is hunting a subject for "religious" debate or

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
is it political regards the anti-gun idi....................'er, ah, people?:rolleyes:

I'm 70 now and still hunt game a bit.
I don't harvest anything I won't eat.
I am a gun person, shoot, hunt, etc.
Our "liberal" world seems to have gone anti-gun ignoring the fact that we
are the ONLY nation with anything like our 2nd Amendment.
Molon Labe.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Is hunting a subject for "religious" debate

Yes, some of the aspects of the issue fall inside religious debates.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The hunt and the relationship of humans to the land is of central importance to Pagan religions. For better or worse, these Pagan, back country hicks lost their voices when the monotheistic religions took over, and these mythologies (including but not limited to myths and rituals about the hunt) fell by the wayside. It's not an uncommon subject of discourse amongst us contemporary Pagans looking to revive some of those old traditions.

jeager106

Premium Member
The hunt and the relationship of humans to the land is of central importance to Pagan religions. For better or worse, these Pagan, back country hicks lost their voices when the monotheistic religions took over, and these mythologies (including but not limited to myths and rituals about the hunt) fell by the wayside. It's not an uncommon subject of discourse amongst us contemporary Pagans looking to revive some of those old traditions.

I'm not a pagan nor back country hick!

jeager106

Premium Member
No it's not a subject for religious debate.
If something is immoral to start with there is no point to make it religious.
I wouldn't categorize "is killing right" a religious debate, but an ethical one.

You believe hunting food is immoral?

jeager106

Premium Member
I believe the killing of animals for food is wrong within the industrialized food economy, yes.
This is both farming and hunting.

I'm sorry that you are in the minority.
I don't "kill" food in the industrialized food economy.
What would we do without farms?
Fortunately I can garden, hunt, trap, preserve food, quite well.
Grew up very, very, poor you see.
I even ran a trap line for furs when I was a teen to make a few scarce bucks.
Glad I don't have to do that any longer as it's a very hard life.
Glad I know how should it become necessary one day.
All 4 of my adult children know how to SAFELY handle a firearm though they don't own any.

Skwim

Veteran Member
IF one can kill without inflicting undue stress on an animal I have no problem with hunting--------and I'm pretty darn liberal; even siding with the four dissenting judges in the 2008 District of Columbia v. Heller case.

Last edited:

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
No it's not a subject for religious debate.
If something is immoral to start with there is no point to make it religious.
I wouldn't categorize "is killing right" a religious debate, but an ethical one.
Seems you contradicted your first sentence with your second sentence....

Or are you claiming morality is not within the scope of religion?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Where I live hunting is necessary. Elimination of all the significant predators means that the deer, squirrel and rabbits would go wild and destroy their own habitat.
Eating them is better than not.
Easy peasy.
Tom

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
Our "liberal" world seems to have gone anti-gun ignoring the fact that we
are the ONLY nation with anything like our 2nd Amendment.

I think there's a different between being "anti-gun" and asking for reasonable restrictions on the kinds of weapons often used in the worst mass shootings.

There's can be a knee-jerk reaction to any proposed gun laws as it being part of a fictional "liberal agenda," where they want to take all your guns.

Remember in 2008 when Obama got elected, and there was this huge rush of gun sales, record sales BTW. . . Because Obama was going to "take our guns away?"

There's emotion and irrationality on both sides of this issue. . . And frankly, most of the liberal emotion is frustration at the lack of any reasonable progress.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Hunting in itself isn't immoral. It's the motivation behind it that may make it immoral.
This.
Hunting is one thing when it's for food or population control or something.
Trophy hunting is completely different. Shooting a beautiful creature for the thrill of the kill makes me sick.
I hope that dentist's car gets vandalized regularly.
Tom

roger1440

I do stuff
This.
Hunting is one thing when it's for food or population control or something.
Trophy hunting is completely different. Shooting a beautiful creature for the thrill of the kill makes me sick.
I hope that dentist's car gets vandalized regularly.
Tom
I find it absurd when people say, "I hunt for the sport of it". They sneak up behind a cute little bunny wabbit and blow its brains out while it taking a crap. You want a sport? Arm the rabbit with a AK47 and a flame thrower to boot. Now you have yourself a sport.

von bek

Great post. I worship a goddess, Artemis, who presides over hunting (among other things). I myself do not hunt; but, my dad has all his life. It is something I have grown up around. It is important to note in the case of Artemis that she is not only the goddess of the hunt, she also is a protectress of animals. It may seem contradictory to some, but it makes perfect sense to me. Again, having grown up around hunters, I can say that many, if not most hunters really love animals and nature. Of course, some hunters have no sense of stewardship and abuse nature. In anything, there are good and bad people.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I think there's a different between being "anti-gun" and asking for reasonable restrictions on the kinds of weapons often used in the worst mass shootings.

There's can be a knee-jerk reaction to any proposed gun laws as it being part of a fictional "liberal agenda," where they want to take all your guns.

Remember in 2008 when Obama got elected, and there was this huge rush of gun sales, record sales BTW. . . Because Obama was going to "take our guns away?"

There's emotion and irrationality on both sides of this issue. . . And frankly, most of the liberal emotion is frustration at the lack of any reasonable progress.
Agreed. I have no problem with hunting (don't support sport/trophy hunting, though) but I do support reasonable gun control.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Many years ago I use to hunt and kill kangaroos along the highway out of town, along the same highway I was shot by someone, they never found the person who shot me, after this I stop killing anything and even became a vegetarian.