• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Humanity Evolving Towards a "Higher State of Consciousness"?

Is humantiy evolving towards a higher state of consciousness?

• You betcha!

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • No way!

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • My cat is, but I'm not.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Let's talk about something else!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neither yes nor no, but something else.

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I am of the insufferable opinion that the notion humanity is somehow "evolving towards a higher state of consciousness" to be nonsensical and bizarre.

Rather, it seems to me that inherent human nature has been more or less the same for at least the past 5500 or so years -- ever since the first written literature of the Sumerians revealed what a complex, all-too-clever, often foolish, sometimes wise, species of fur-challenged, poo-flinging, super-sized great apes we were back then (and still are today). The notion that our consciousness has somehow evolved since then strikes me as hopelessly wishful.

Now, having said all that, I do not mean to imply there has never been any cultural "progress". I think there has been a great deal of cultural change in the past 5500 years, and that some of it might even be considered "progressive" -- at least, progressive according to some value schemes. But such cultural change does not necessarily imply any genetic change. That is, it does not necessarily imply any change in inherent human nature.

But what do you yourself make of the notion that humanity is somehow evolving towards a higher state of consciousness? Truth or woo? What do you think?

Jesster

Friendly skeptic
Premium Member
I went straight for the cat option right away, so I'm certainly not heading toward a higher state of anything. The rest of humanity may be a different story.

Aiviu

I am of the insufferable opinion that the notion humanity is somehow "evolving towards a higher state of consciousness" to be nonsensical and bizarre.

Rather, it seems to me that inherent human nature has been more or less the same for at least the past 5500 or so years -- ever since the first written literature of the Sumerians revealed what a complex, all-too-clever, often foolish, sometimes wise, species of fur-challenged, poo-flinging, super-sized great apes we were back then (and still are today). The notion that our consciousness has somehow evolved since then strikes me as hopelessly wishful.

Now, having said all that, I do not mean to imply there has never been any cultural "progress". I think there has been a great deal of cultural change in the past 5500 years, and that some of it might even be considered "progressive" -- at least, progressive according to some value schemes. But such cultural change does not necessarily imply any genetic change. That is, it does not necessarily imply any change in inherent human nature.

But what do you yourself make of the notion that humanity is somehow evolving towards a higher state of consciousness? Truth or woo? What do you think?

Not true and its not very humble to praise ourself with that "fact". There are more idiots since there are more ppl on earth. today people evolve the same since it all has "started". They had different life's and thus their own ways to analogize their life,etc for themself. Humans back then had a connection with their self via nature... today it could be virtuality as a sense of "it exists but isnt really there".

HonestJoe

I’d suggest that the fact we can come up with irrational concepts like “evolving to a higher state of consciousness” is strong evidence that we’re not. :)

atanu

Premium Member

I want to respond seriously to this. :D

In Vedantic understanding consciousness is that which encompasses all that is known directly or through report. In this perspective, consciousness is a competence. Intellect (which I think is equated to consciousness in West) on the other hand, as per Vedanta, is reflection of consciousness in individual beings inner equipment, in many unique and non unique ways.

Consciousness is timeless. But intellect will tend to improve with evolution.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

It makes me wonder as to what kind of qualities are associated with a higher state of consciousness?

Jumi

We aren't evolving, our population is too big for that. Human cultures are changing and a lot of it sadly has to do with consuming entertainment. The mental landscape is pretty much filled with boxes where people want to dwell in...

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I think it pretty obvious lately, that a lot of people are devolving into lower states of consciousness. ;)

I agree and I think the cause is Technology. We are relying less on our brain and more on technology. Evolution would then minimize the brain as it uses way to much energy.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We aren't evolving, our population is too big for that. Human cultures are changing and a lot of it sadly has to do with consuming entertainment. The mental landscape is pretty much filled with boxes where people want to dwell in...
I think we are still evolving in brain capacity. I've heard of research saying that humans will likely look a lot different in the far future with larger craniums.

I wonder how Evolution will go if some of us become a long term spacefaring species and bodies will have to adjust to the new environments. It kind of blows my mind what kind of new human species could come from that.

Infernum

Some say we will merge with technology before we have enough time to evolve naturally. This merging may be described as humans taking control of our own evolution with no trial and error but deliberate steps in a certain direction.( enhanced vision, memory, intellect etc)

I guess during that time we will discover if more computing power = higher consciousness or not.

I could believe something like this is approaching when considering advances in brain machine interfaces. Just hope we don't lose our spiritual capacity.

Jeremiah Ames

O no, I’m the only “you betcha”:oops::cool:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Such a position would by necessity assume that evolution follows a linear path with a given destiny at the end. That isn't how evolution works.
We're still a bunch of confused apes, we've just had thousands of years to practice what we do and get even better at it (like war). We still scare easily, we're still very afraid, and because we still need a security blanket as adults to deal with the hardships and difficulties of life we tell ourselves there is someone "up there" who loves us watches over us and will reward or punish us based on how we behaved during life.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A big population is no hindrance to evolution. It even helps.
But in our case, the passing on of genes isn't aided by a
"higher state of consciousness" (whatever that is).
Instead, we're likely evolving to be Duggars.

Eventually, genetic engineering will change this.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Stuff like this comes across to me as New Age psychobabble that manages to misunderstand biological evolution and couple that with nauseating anthropocentrism. Tales like this reinforce narratives that, well... narratives that I despise. There are few tales that make my brain more squirrelly inside.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I used to think or hope we were, but time and life taught me better. This body is like a vessel waiting to break. What is there of higher consciousness in this constructed?

ajay0

It is not . It is the reverse instead. Humanity is getting more unconscious, which is resulting in the physical equivalent of increasing strife and conflict, pollution and aberrant weather, extinction of more species, and a greater predominance of depression and mental health issues.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I am one of the minority 'You betcha' voters.

Socially I see us going from colonialism and slavery to emaciation and civil rights laws, to near equality of peoples.

Religiously I see us going from dictatorial and oppressive religious orthodoxy to more liberal and 'New Age' (for lack of better term) spirituality without imposed religious orthodoxy. In just my lifetime I have seen major shifts from the old energy to the new energy!

In all ways we are evolving to a 'Higher State of Consciousness'. It will continue!